• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

need advice hand taming first time owner

ThorMyBlackCap

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
brett
i recently brought a black capp conure which is not hand tamed i got him this past tuesday hes about 7 months old i do have 2 other birds but they were already hand tamed i was wanting to know the steps i take in creating a bond with him i want to do it right so i dont ruin the bond forever im so scared about spooking him any advice helps and is very much appreciated thank you

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Take your time and don't force yourself on the bird. As others have said, it's all about gaining the trust of your parrot. Work with a little bit of clicker and target training. This will adjust him to the presence of your hand and yourself in and around his cage.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I agree, slow and steady, at the pace of your bird. I love training with positive reinforcement. It is very rewarding and is fun for you and your bird. Targeting is an excellent hands off behavior you can start with. You can then use your targeting to lure him on to your hand to teach step up. Best wishes!

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Just like @Laurie said, it does progress at the pace of your bird. It may be slow and you might feel like you aren't making enough progress, but to your bird it will be leaps and bounds. We don't know what rescue birds have gone through. They might carry a lot of negative memories with them, so it is our job to help provide new positive experiences to enrich their lives. The best feeling is when your bird takes a huge step forward. Some proud parront moments then :).

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
This is a resource you may find helpful.

Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media

Scroll down to #8 for a free webinar from expert bird trainer Barbara Heidenreich on Training Rescued and Re-Homed Parrots. You can make donation if you like. She is an expert in teaching pet owners and others how to earn trust with their birds. Everything, and I mean everything she has available is more than worth the price and is exceptional.

I have used the methods she and other behavior consultants teach. Having had birds most of my life and now living with 6 flighted caiques I can say that what you will learn will be truly life changing for you and your parrots.