• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need a little tail feather advice.

Texas Tiel fan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Robert Seale
These two photos are of our youngest tiel Auzzie. It's starting to look (sound) like another female but that's beside the point. She is about 5 months old now and the first picture shows her tail feathers not too long after we got her. The second picture shows what they look like now! I'm well aware of there molting process but have never had a tiels feathers look like this after once looking much better. She is a calm happy bird and I see no signs of feather plucking but I'm just a little curious about this. Some of you may remember my story awhile back about Buzz losing ALL his tail feathers in a freak accident that was partly my fault. His grew back to normal length in what seemed like a few weeks! Sadly, Auzzie's has been like the way they look now and really don't seem to be growing!

Attachments

Cloud

Strolling the yard
I think she is a clumsy tiel. She probably broke them when she was climbing down the cage, and step on them while climbing down.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Are the perches in her cage far enough away from the bars so that she doesn't catch her tail if she turns around or has her back to the bars?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
All I see is normal wear and tear typical For a caged bird.

Buzz's feathers were pulled. That's why they grew back so fast. Aussies feathers have not lived their lifespan yet so have not been replaced. Even when they do replace it will only be one or two at a time.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Auzzie’s feathers are broken, so they have to come out in order to be replaced and grow. Many young tiels are clumsy and break their tail feathers. Just make sure the cage isn’t too small or crowded, and as your bird gets older the feathers should brake less often.

Texas Tiel fan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Robert Seale
Thanks for the reply guys! Yes, as a matter of fact, she IS a bit on the clumsy side......especially learning to fly. She's getting much better but for awhile, it was crash and burn! I would say her cage is big enough for one tiel....I have four more just like it so I HOPE so. I will cert