• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Natural air fresheners

Status
Not open for further replies.

bethoid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Beth
Not sure if this is the right avenue for posting...but how do bird owners freshen the air? And not from their birds but stinky dogs? :confused: I have two older special needs dogs, and sometimes they are just down right awful. Since getting our latest addition (GCC), I have not wanted to use any sprays, candles, etc. So are their good alternatives? How about natural oils? We have a fairly open living space and we all share it.:D

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
When Kiwi goes to bed for the night, I will simmer lemon peel, or orange peel with some cinnamon sticks in there. In the summer, I will cut up a cucumber and leave it out for a half hour or so. It's a nice earthy smell.

I used to keep lavender plants in my bedroom, but I killed them. :huh: They smell amazing!

Kathie sells anise star by the pound Whole Star Anise BULK PER POUND - NUTS FRUITS VEGGIES SEED by MY SAFE BIRD STORE and you can simmer that. I find the scent of star anise to be strong enough to not need simmering, but I think she mentioned she will simmer it.

Just make sure you use stainless steel pots and don't forget about it on the stove!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
You can simmer a pot of water on the stove and add cinnamon sticks cloves,ginger,orange or lemon peels etc etc:)
You could also place small dishes of baking soda or vinegar in strategic places to help!Be careful with natural oils-some of them are Not good to use:(

Guidelines For The Safe Use Of Essential Oil Diffusers With Birds

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I have an herb "sweet annie" that you can make into wreaths or dried arrangements. It holds its scent forever. I'm not sure its bird safe, Ive been trying to determine this. Merlin ignores it, so no problem there. I also have a floor steamer, I didn't realize it when I bought it, but it freshens the air when you steam the floors. :)

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I do the cinnamon sticks and orange or lemon peels on the stove, it works really really well.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I use the lemon/orange/lime slices/peels simmered on the stove too

I have also noticed a dramatic decrease in household odors after adding 2 full size Austin Air cleaners to the mix

bethoid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Beth
I tried simmering orange peel but didn't seem to notice a huge difference so I added just a couple drops of orange oil and that was good. Yes, I am all to stainless steel now!!! :)

bethoid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Beth
I use baking soda for vacuuming and applying to dog beds...but maybe I will try just leaving some out by the dog beds. Really the issue is when the dog get gassy!!! ha!:o:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
You can also bu plug in electric simmer pots...like a mini crock pot and simmer the cinnamon, orange peel, etc...in there...safer than the stove I think:)

TypingParrot

Rollerblading along the road
I mixed white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. We lived in a trailer and it was an open floor plan, so chemicals were kind of a no-no anyway. I can't smell, so I don't know how strong the vinegar is when you spray it, but we we're getting complaints on our 2 dogs!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I use baking soda for vacuuming and applying to dog beds...but maybe I will try just leaving some out by the dog beds. Really the issue is when the dog get gassy!!! ha!:o:

:faint: goggie gas is the worst :eek: clothespins work best for that :lol:

baking soda is good and if you can air them out in the sun for a couple hours every so often between washes that helps too

You can also bu plug in electric simmer pots...like a mini crock pot and simmer the cinnamon, orange peel, etc...in there...safer than the stove I think:)

I agree Leslie - it is so easy (for me anyway - I'm the one that has to carry a timer to remember the stove and the water hose in the ponds :eek: ) to forget and let them cook dry and they last longer like that too :)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I am one to easily forget if left on the stove. I get sidetracked with so many different things that the simmer pot is best for me! lol

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Can the dogs be washed?

bethoid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Beth
Yes, the dogs get washed. But it's their gas that is the issue...they are special needs, one is on a ton of medicine and the other has cancer and probiotics help, but sometimes not. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh..sorry..:embarassed: My dog can cut some eye watering silent but deadlies too.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.