• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nasty Foxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Helen
Hi I live on a farm. There are foxes trying to kill my cats. Any ideas? Thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I can see it just fine, but I have no assistance to offer :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Foxes are known for killing cats. I guess since you are on a farm it would defeat the purpose of keeping them inside. You could st live traps for them but I still think you will have some showing up if the know cats are there.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Do you leave food out for your cats and maybe that is what the foxes are trying to dominate? Housecats and foxes are natural enemies. Unless you are willing to have two different types of outdoor feeding stations, one for the foxes and another for the cats in an unreachable area from the foxes, you are going to have knock down drag out fights about the food for the cats. My uncle kept the cats' food inside a cage in the barn that only the cats could jump up into to get the food. He then kept a fox feeder at the edge of the barnyard with a little roof over it to keep it dry for the foxes. He fed the foxes cheap dog and cat food mixed together because foxes are canids and would get kidney failure from eating too much cat food. The cats and foxes had a truce and the foxes stopped killing the cats unless the cats chased the foxes away from the fox food.

Since my cats are not allowed out in the yard, I no longer have problems with the racoons and oppossums any more. You could also contact your local humane organization for ways to handle the foxes as well.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Lois' suggestion is a good one. So many people try to *get rid of* predators. The problem is that doesn't provide any security for domestic animals - you kill or relocate a predator, and another one will, sooner or later, move into the vacant territory. The only way to deal with the situation is to provide a secure area for the domestic animals.

I would suggest that you get your cats used to be being fed at or near dusk, and then put them in a secure building for the night.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
[PB]Foxes are known to have rabies. I would not do anything to keep them around but I would secure my cats inside. I do not believe cats should be outside anyway. Please get your cats rabies vaccines current too incase they get in a spat with one fox will attack humans if rabid.

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
You got it Ziggymom. If you remove or chase out one wildlife 'pest' another will take its place. It is much more logical and easy to find a way for the cats and the wildlife to coexist together and forum a truce. They learn to tolerate one another and that is much better than killing one another off and having a war. Different species of animals have been forming truces for millennia. You just have to find out what will work for your cats and the foxes.

My Uncle was a farmer who also loved wildlife and he was always looking for ways to allow wildlife to coexist with his livestock. He said allowing the foxes to live close to his barnyard kept the raccoons in check as well as the opposums and ratties, etc. The foxes also kept the carrion cleaned up at the edge of the barnyard and he felt that made his area a lot easier to keep up.

Celia58

Avenue Veteran
I agree, put the cats in at night, it increases the odds they will live a long and happy life..I live in the country as well.The coyotes, owls and hawks will also eat your cats.My mom lost 3 cats to a family of owls.So even if you get rid of the foxes there will be something else to eat your cats.
Poor old cats are almost as tasty as rabbit.

Conmom

Real Name
Helen
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO ANSWERED! Here is the thing...they were indoor cats unti lmy landlady adopted a "special needs" dog. Because of the way he was raised, for some reason he HATES cats and will kill them. These cats lived inside for at least 8 yrs., outside daytime inside nightime. Since the new special addition, the cats have lived on my porch. The foxes are quite aggressive, I will hear one right outside my door, when I open it it does not run til I speak sternly and step towards it. We have moved the cat houses to the barn, and NO food has ever been left out at night. The smallest cat is now inside, I guess the "special needs" dog is locked away from the cat. Everything is of course humane, but I am still troubled about the aggressiveness of the foxes. They should have more respect for humans and their space, .....this :confused:did not happen last spring. Again, thanks for AQLL of your help.

Conmom

Real Name
Helen
Hi Doris, thanks for your reply. What a beautiful GCC! I have two of my own, swear they are the BEST birds!

Conmom

Real Name
Helen
Thanks for your reply. All of the animals here are properly vaccinated and have the utmost care. They all live in "heaven" except for he fox situation. Again, this is new, last year we did not have this issue. I truly believe that the mild winter caused alot of animals to survive that normally would not have, causing competetion for food. But I truly appreciate your help. It had not occurred to me that the foxes might be rabid, they are not that aggressive yet, but I will keep it in mind since I am not vaccinated. (All of the cats, etc. are)

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Here is a good site about foxes and coyotes. If you want to keep them away from your area you need to make loud noises and scare them away. We have a lot of coyotes and foxes around both our house and cabin. We have never had any problem with them attacking any of our animals. I love to listen to the coyotes howling at night. We have several packs of them around here.

wildlifehotline.org

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I know that all of us will have differing opinions on this subject so this is only my opinion. I would have great concerns with rabies so I would contact my local DNR for help.

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
We have foxes, coyotes, racoons and a host of other critters here. Nice thing is Wheeler keeps them away from the house/yard. He of course is not allowed loose in the woods to chase them. His huge bark (and boy does he carry on if a critter gets close to the house), keeps everybody away. My recommendation.... get a Dog...??? Good luck with the fox situation.

AkCrimson

Real Name
Hillari
Don't let your cats outside. I know farmers are known for keeping cats to control the vermin population but frankly it's dangerous and negligent. Cats are easy prey for dogs, coyotes, foxes, disease, etc. Not to mention they damage the native bird populations. Sorry, but cats don't belong outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.