• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Naming a rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lydia Deetz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Now, from what I’ve heard, adopting an adult rescue parrot is a wonderful way to give a bird a second chance at a home without going through the stages of raising babies that might eventually reject you. That being said, can you just pick a name for an adult rescue parrot or not? I have heard that some consider it wrong to change a parrot’s name. I’m talking strictly hypotheticals and I’m just wondering

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
It really all depends - if they know their name and can and will say it, it could be a difficult adjustment. Or so I would think. I adopted Sam and his former owner called him Archie and he told me that his name was Sam. So, I complied. I didn't really see any reason to change his name.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
We use a lot of nicknames over time at our house. Rhubarb has been called Girly bird (before she had an offical name), Rhuby, RhuRhu, Rhuby 'too, Rhubird, and most recently Rhuber Tuber. Lemoncello was Birdy boy (before officially being named) then Lemon, Lemmykins, Lemmy, and LemLem. Nicknames tend to change and evolve over time. They both seem to know when we are talking to them, though our little pinkatoo girl responds most strongly to her long name and has a specific, short chirp that I interpret as "Hi!" + "What?" when we look at her and say "Rhubarb!"

It never hurts to ask lots of questions at the rescue. Some birds have been so traumatized by their previous life and name that its changed to give them a fresh start (uncommon but sadly true). In some cases the bird doesn't come with a name and may not talk so the rescue gives a name. There are even cases where a bird is adopted and months later starts to talk, revealing a long-ago name.
Blessings on you and your home for considering adoption! :D And welcome to the neighborhood!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Ash as been said, if a bird knows their name- or uses some word to call themselves- it could be a rough thing to do.

When we adopt, if the bird "has a name"..then, unless it's obscene, it stays. (and you'd be surprised how many strange people name a bird a swear word)

There's only been one bird that we've adopted that got a name change...a Cinnamon tiel was actually named "Cinnamon"...Kathy changed his name to "Mocha"...;)
Blessings on you and your home for considering adoption! :D
...never better said...:heart:

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Out of all my birds we have only changed the name of one. That happens to be Cotton. We were told her name was “Abby” because she would say “Abby, Abby Abby” when in fact Cotton was saying “Howdy, Howdy” So we proceeded to name her Cotton.
I’ve try to personally keep a birds name.
If your looking at the adoption/rescue route make sure to ask as many questions as possible, I’d also recommend spend a minimum of 20 hours just volunteering and let the bird pick you. You may not get picked by the breed you would like but you will have a happier relationship if they choose you. Not you chose them

Status
Not open for further replies.