• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Zebra Finch chick

fluff86

Walking the driveway
So I've been working hard to keep a Zebra Finch chick alive, although the parents are doing a good job so far but every now and again I've had to intervene because the chick kept jumping out of the nest and I've had to put it back in and make sure there is enough nesting material in the nest so that the chick is comfortable.

Today the baby chick can now fly but it can't perch so it ends up on at the bottom of the aviary and hides and I'm concerned that the parents wont find it when it needs feeding?

Its only days away now from becoming independent from its nest. I did originally have two chicks but one died and I don't want to lose this one.

Any tips or ideas?

fluff86

Walking the driveway
The chick seems to be doing OK. She is a hen as her markings are visible now. I think she will be a white hen like her mom. The mother has been with her chick around the aviary and the chick is now perching on a branch so hopefully fingers crossed. The same mother bird has laid two more eggs in her nest.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
The mother will need a well deserved break from breeding after she has rared her chick and there is a chance her other two eggs she laid yesterday might hatch...

All the zebra finches will get a breeding break after February... I'm hoping to have a few more chicks on the way by then.

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Glad babies doing well

fluff86

Walking the driveway
The baby Zebra Finch is still doing well although she spends a lot of time on the floor but she can perch now. She looks like she is going to be a nice two tone grey & white color. The mother has laid 3 more eggs in her nest since.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Just an update on my Zebra Finches...

Everything is going well I'm having a lot of success with breeding them now. I've had lots of new Zebra Finch chicks with more on the way. I have plans for all the new finches and I'm only breeding them because I needed some more after the last lot I lost last year so I'm not breeding them to sell. They well all be used too live in my new aviaries.

I almost lost four in a nest due to the parents abandoning them but with some quick thinking I managed to save the babies by moving them into another finch nest to be adopted by different zebra finch parents who built a nest but there eggs never hatched and that has proved to be a success.

It can be hit and miss with breeding birds because some birds make good parents where as others don't or sometimes you can get some that lay eggs but they never hatch where as others can end up abandoning there young. I've got 3 good breeding pairs one pair has 8 chicks in a nest almost ready to leave the nest.

Last edited:

fluff86

Walking the driveway
The baby Zebra Finch is still doing well although she spends a lot of time on the floor but she can perch now. She looks like she is going to be a nice two tone grey & white color. The mother has laid 3 more eggs in her nest since.
An update on that finch... he turned out to be a boy with a beautiful white head and grey body he has grown into a healthy Zebra Finch fully independent now.