• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

my sun doesn't play with toys suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kygal41501

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kim
My sun for some reason isn't interested in toys much, he would rather be on me or one of my room mates rather than playing with toys. I bought a huge play gym for him and i cant even get him to step a foot on it, he just flies away or walks away from it. Is there a reason for this? Any suggestions how i can get him to play and enjoy himself? It gets tiring sometimes having a bird trying to preen you all day and night :/

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo is a lot like this....have you tried to play with toys with him away from his cage and playstand? That is how I got Jingo interested. I would act like it was the best thing in the world, making lot of noise and generally looking ridiculous :lol: I made sure to do this where Jingo could see me and could come play if he wanted. So, we started out like you might with a puppy :) Then, once he was interested in it, I would put it on his playstand with the toy - even if he played by himself for 5 minutes it was a success!

Also try variety. Jingo has 3 toy types - it has to have metal chain, something shreddable, or something to eat! Bells, leather, wood - he pretty much ignores those things. But stainless steel chain is like christmas, and he loves Chinese finger traps! I also hide food in his toys (again, I let him see me do it, so he knows its there). Sliced almonds and pumpkin seeds are the treats of choice!

I feel your pain - Jingo just wants to be with us ALL day and if we aren't right there he screams. It can get a little annoying, but we love him and are working on making him a quieter non-perch potato! :hehe:

Kygal41501

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kim
thats exactly how i feel! i love love love him to death, but dear lord the screaming when one of us just happens to not be paying attention to him gets difficult, and i might be able to squeeze a nap in if he would just play with his toys haha i haven't tried playing with him, i know he likes to shred things because about the only thing he plays with his if my bed cushion gets out from under neath my sheet he rips it to shreds haha so i guess i'll need to get some more shred toys and shred with him! haha thank you!

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
My sun loves to destroy his toys, he loves chipping wood, chewing leather, etc. Most of his toys are wood with leather strings. Other toys he tends to ignore, hates foot toys.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Kiwi was a lot like that when I first brought him home. He would have much rather sat on my shoulder than play with his toys. So, when he was with me, I would bring one or 2 toys over and play with them myself. Eventually, he started to play with them too. After a while, he became more and more playful and eventually got to the point where he would play on his own away from me.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Sammy my amazon and Jasper my Sunday conure were both like this when I first got them. Like the others said, with time and showing them toys/playing with them in front Sammy/Jasper, they eventually started liking toys and now they both play on their own. Sammy is a bit shy and likes only certain types of toys, she likes thin woods and leather/cotton rope and some shreddable toys.

I would get some thin wood toys like this one- Super Bird Creations Peacock, Jr. - MEDIUM BIRD TOYS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

or this one for a shreddable toy- Bird Kabob Original - SHREDDABLE TOYS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

Status
Not open for further replies.