• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My starling is sitting on cage floor with feet in front

Noahjc

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Noah
She is rescue , and we nursed her back to life and she is nine months old, up until recently Glossy (the name we gave her) has been full of life, chirping , whistling, a very happy bird. But now she has made a weird turn, she started by falling off her perch multiple times during the night , I sleep next to her (on a futon next to the cage) so everytime she fell off her perch she would try to get back up to the perch in the dark and I would wake up and provide light so she could get back up there. This went on for awhile I would guess a few weeks I didn't keep track. But now its to the point she does not perch anymore, only for a few mins at a time at best after eating and drinking, but she is so weak now we lowered the water and food to the bottom of the cage because all she does is sit on her butt with her feet sprawled out in front of her , she will get up and move around to different spots at the bottomn of the cage , but never stands for long almost instantly sits on her butt. She falls asleep like that, so weird, she used to take baths and spray us with water all the way across the room, now she just sits in the water and barely waggs her tail. We let her fly around the living room all the time , now she will still fly around but when she lands she instantly sits on her butt. She is having hard time grooming herself and she just looks miserable compared to her once lively cheerful chirping and whistling. What is wrong with my bird???

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you have a good vet. Or even a Wildlife rescue to take her to? Could be diet related,,,they are oomnivores, she could need more protein in her diet..what are you feeding her? May also be a calcium deficiency ..has she ever been tested for bacterial, yeast or parasite infection

Noahjc

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Noah
We feed her Purina one , true instinct, natural grain free. 35% protein, fresh three to four times daily soaked in water and cut into pieces and she loves it, served fresh everytime.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It would be advisable to take Glossy to the vet ASAP. Could be a nutritional deficiency, infection, neurological??? How much is she eating and drinking? She may need you to hand feed her or at least get some liquid into her but must be careful that she doesn't aspirate. Flying is probably taking a lot out of her and is probably not a good idea right now. Make sure that she is not getting cold. You can cover her cage on 3 sides. If she is not perching then layer the bottom of her cage with non-pilling fleece, non stringy toweling or layers of paper towels.
Also go to this website: Starling Talk: The Care and Feeding of Injured and Orphaned Starlings
Sorry that Glossy is ill and hope that she will be OK.

Noahjc

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Noah
She is eating and drinking as normal , we have a nice plush spot now at bottom of cage, she does give up mid flight when trying to make a landing so she falls to the cage bottom or the floor when out. Its very heartbreaking seeing her give up and fall to the cage bottom so hard, that's why we made the entire cage bottom soft. Also we take her out and hold her in a soft blanket and she instantly falls alseep like she is just wore out. I have spoken with the person from starling talk and nothing came from that. As soon as I have enuff money I will be taking her to the vet, im shooting for end of this week.

Noahjc

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Noah
One side of the cage is against the wall and we cover two sides and leave one side open because she does not like to be completly covered and likes to fall asleep where she can see me.

P_20180221_081834.jpg sleeping in blanket

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please get her to the vet before the end of the week. Don't wait that long. Did you post something on Starling Talk? Maybe there are others there who could give you some additional suggestions.

Noahjc

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Noah
No I emailed her directly, and vets don't work for free so I have to make the money first, thats why I came her to see if anybody has had a similar issue with their bird. The sec I have the money im going to the vet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Post on the board over there when you get a chance.

Noahjc

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Noah
Not familiar with the starling talk forum can u drop me a link?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The link is in Post #4 in this thread.

Noahjc

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Noah
OK I will check it out thanks. New piece of info as I was holding her in my hand she falls sleep then while she is sleeping her right foot will vibrate really fast for a few seconds and a few seconds later like clockwork it repeats so I have been watching her foot as she walks and staying curled up some of the time and flips over on her back when trying to take more than a few steps. And I used to cradle her alot when she was a little younger and she would just fall over on her back when I would reach in the cage to catch her, it used to be so adorable , now that she has this problem when she falls she ends up on her back with her head in a awkward position and it scares me to death as she struggles to get back on her feet. Im starting to think its something nuerological.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perhaps you have a friend or relative who can help you out monetarily so you can get her to vet sooner. Or maybe a vet will let you do payments or work something out with you.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending positive thoughts for Glossy.

Noahjc

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Noah
I have registered on starling talk forums and waiting to be approved

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry she is sick, and so hope she’ll be okay!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is Glossy doing?