• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

my sister..is looking to adopt an old dog!

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
She wants to adopt a new dog preferably older than 10 yo as she have a 10 yo yorkie and she doesnt want a puppy oh and no terrier in it. small to medium sized dog no more than 20 lbs her yorkie is 16 lbs. Can Anyone help me to find a dog with this description? no preference on gender. She wants to help an older dog. She knows most people prefer young dogs but she says Lucy is too old to bare with a puppy's energy level, which is true!. So if anyone know of someone that if giving a dog with this description in FL up for adoption please let me know!
My sister was offered a 2 yo male neutered terrier mix but she said no. Too young and its a terrier mix. With Lucy she has had not a very good experience she is allergic to everything (almost), hates water (all terriers hate water). I hope they can help!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Hounds are a good category. Doxins are great little dogs(Rarely get over 20pounds but those are standards, miniatures are much less), but they are hounds. Digging, howling are common place :D

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Dachshunds, or rather "Wiener dogs." :D
Doxin is just a shorter term.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
'Animal Aid', and 'Abandoned Animal Rescue' are great rescues down in South Florida. Specifically 'Animal Aid', they always have smaller, older dogs coming in every week as they take them from a high kill shelter in Miami. Which part of FL is she in?

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
'Animal Aid', and 'Abandoned Animal Rescue' are great rescues down in South Florida. Specifically 'Animal Aid', they always have smaller, older dogs coming in every week as they take them from a high kill shelter in Miami. Which part of FL is she in?
Davie county.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Yup, I'd still go with the rescues above and perhaps the Broward Animal shelter on Griffin Road. Though that's a bit of a drive from where she is.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Well she just told she is not sure (she lost her male yorkie He had a heart disease but wasnt detected early and when the cough begun vet said it was ok sent a treatment but 2 days later he begun having trouble breathing my sister had to put him to sleep in july 2015, vet said he could live at least a year but she would have to stay at home 24/7 cause he could die it could be worse cause he would need a constant oxygen supply :/ so as much as she had to make a decision she said he didnt deserved to be in pain cause he was a very well behaved dog.. an angel. Always happy...always playing. That was him!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I'm so sorry for her loss, I had to put down my doxin of 8 years last year too, in April. It can be so difficult to open your heart to another dog, but I hope she finds another four-legged to fill her heart soon :). I actually found my newest pup while volunteering at Animal Aid, so I do highly recommend them if she ever wants to look. :)

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I'm so sorry for her loss, I had to put down my doxin of 8 years last year too, in April. It can be so difficult to open your heart to another dog, but I hope she finds another four-legged to fill her heart soon :). I actually found my newest pup while volunteering at Animal Aid, so I do highly recommend them if she ever wants to look. :)
Nano was always playing infact one day while i was in USA visiting my family he kept me up until 3 am fetching the ball!! He was so obssesed about balls ANYTHING round he would think it was a ball he could play with XD in fact my sister used to have a salt & pepper pots that had round shape let me tell you she only used them 1 day cause he went crazy & tried jump on the chair and get to the table top LOL! She had to hide them and then she gave them away. My sister used to smoke and one day she went to smoke & he was still up[, had a ball that had bells in it he spent until 4 am PLAYING with the ball until my sister told him enough! took the ball away and sent him to sleep LOL! Next day he spent most of the day sleeping!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Nano was always playing infact one day while i was in USA visiting my family he kept me up until 3 am fetching the ball!! He was so obssesed about balls ANYTHING round he would think it was a ball he could play with XD in fact my sister used to have a salt & pepper pots that had round shape let me tell you she only used them 1 day cause he went crazy & tried jump on the chair and get to the table top LOL! She had to hide them and then she gave them away. My sister used to smoke and one day she went to smoke & he was still up[, had a ball that had bells in it he spent until 4 am PLAYING with the ball until my sister told him enough! took the ball away and sent him to sleep LOL! Next day he spent most of the day sleeping!
He sounded like such a card! Can only imagine the joy and fun he brought to your sister and of course you. I have the image of a little pup just so excited to share his noisy ball toy with his owner in the middle of the night and just sulking back to his bed when it's taken :p :laugh:.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
He sounded like such a card! Can only imagine the joy and fun he brought to your sister and of course you. I have the image of a little pup just so excited to share his noisy ball toy with his owner in the middle of the night and just sulking back to his bed when it's taken :p :laugh:.
yup that was him! He would look for another ball to take back to bed with him lol i remember once he was going to bed and he saw a ball under the couch and my sister's face at 2 am was :faint::dead::meh::shifty: so she took it away (mind you she already had taken away 2 other balls he found LOL) so she was like OMG! where does he get so many balls lol its like they appear out of nowhere just when i tell him to go to sleep he finds ALL the balls:rofl::rofl::hilarious: During the day he didnt knew where to look for the balls! Mind you he was 10 years old and despite that he was playing all the time even when the cough begun! Just before the difficult breathing begun he was playing at 1 am O.O then he went to sleep and the cough begun again but much worse and he was put to sleep at 9 am next day :( i always used to say that he was the kind of dog i wanted, very well behaved, very playful, got along extremely well with other dogs, didnt chased cats, ignored birds! never got allergies or anything like that... always with a ball in his mouth when he was put to sleep he holded one that my sister gave him, his fave ball, he slept with that ball!
After necropsy they found he had a heart disease that was very advanced and he NEVER showed any sign of it :( he was playful until the very end. He had Cardiac insufficiency. I thought of heartworms but he was tested 2 weeks before and it came negative... he had been recently vaccinated too so no KC either! Vet says it went totally silent for years which is unusual ( my sister is very dedicated with her dogs, its the type of owner that sees a little stain that doesnt come off with water she goes to the vet).
Like i said Lucy is very allergic to almost everything she got a rash back in 2014 my sister took her to the vet just in january of that year Lucy had 8 different symptoms from 8 different foods (my sister in one month spent 4500$ just in Lucy's vet visits :omg: that year 2014). She got tested for 25 things and results said she is allergic to 22 things! Only things she can eat are Quinoa, White fish & rabbit my sister supplements her diet with natural herbs for her immune system and dog vitamins and stuff like that! Heck once Lucy had fleas there was an infestation and the vet prescribed a pill for the fleas (SHE ENDED BEEN ALLERGIC TO the PILL :0 ) see thats why i said she is allergic to everything! And thats why my sister doesnt want another dog with Terrier in it! In 2013 she used to buy an especially made dog food just for Lucy but it was 100$ per 1 lbs :facepalm: so monthly she spent around 250$ in that food! Until she knew it was too expensive! Even tho Nano was a yorkie mix but he wasnt allergic to nothing, he loved water so we think he wasnt a pure yorkie ( he didnt looked like one either) he looked like Schnauzer with Yorkie plus Cocker! My sister dont mind if she adopts a dog with arthritis or something like that but DOES mind if the dog is Terrier and potentially allergic to everything like Lucy! :confused::eek:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
yup that was him! He would look for another ball to take back to bed with him lol i remember once he was going to bed and he saw a ball under the couch and my sister's face at 2 am was :faint::dead::meh::shifty: so she took it away (mind you she already had taken away 2 other balls he found LOL) so she was like OMG! where does he get so many balls lol its like they appear out of nowhere just when i tell him to go to sleep he finds ALL the balls:rofl::rofl::hilarious: During the day he didnt knew where to look for the balls! Mind you he was 10 years old and despite that he was playing all the time even when the cough begun! Just before the difficult breathing begun he was playing at 1 am O.O then he went to sleep and the cough begun again but much worse and he was put to sleep at 9 am next day :( i always used to say that he was the kind of dog i wanted, very well behaved, very playful, got along extremely well with other dogs, didnt chased cats, ignored birds! never got allergies or anything like that... always with a ball in his mouth when he was put to sleep he holded one that my sister gave him, his fave ball, he slept with that ball!
After necropsy they found he had a heart disease that was very advanced and he NEVER showed any sign of it :( he was playful until the very end. He had Cardiac insufficiency. I thought of heartworms but he was tested 2 weeks before and it came negative... he had been recently vaccinated too so no KC either! Vet says it went totally silent for years which is unusual ( my sister is very dedicated with her dogs, its the type of owner that sees a little stain that doesnt come off with water she goes to the vet).
Like i said Lucy is very allergic to almost everything she got a rash back in 2014 my sister took her to the vet just in january of that year Lucy had 8 different symptoms from 8 different foods (my sister in one month spent 4500$ just in Lucy's vet visits :omg: that year 2014). She got tested for 25 things and results said she is allergic to 22 things! Only things she can eat are Quinoa, White fish & rabbit my sister supplements her diet with natural herbs for her immune system and dog vitamins and stuff like that! Heck once Lucy had fleas there was an infestation and the vet prescribed a pill for the fleas (SHE ENDED BEEN ALLERGIC TO the PILL :0 ) see thats why i said she is allergic to everything! And thats why my sister doesnt want another dog with Terrier in it! In 2013 she used to buy an especially made dog food just for Lucy but it was 100$ per 1 lbs :facepalm: so monthly she spent around 250$ in that food! Until she knew it was too expensive! Even tho Nano was a yorkie mix but he wasnt allergic to nothing, he loved water so we think he wasnt a pure yorkie ( he didnt looked like one either) he looked like Schnauzer with Yorkie plus Cocker! My sister dont mind if she adopts a dog with arthritis or something like that but DOES mind if the dog is Terrier and potentially allergic to everything like Lucy! :confused::eek:
Terriers do have a habit of allergies, so I get why she's looking into other breeds. I had a APBT that had such horrible skin allergies, it was crazy! :eek: Was allergic to different poultry and all kinds of wheat/grain. I don't know how she bought food for 100$/1pound, I have a Bullmastiff right now that would eat that in a day :D:laugh:. Love the "miniature horse" to death though! :heart:

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Terriers do have a habit of allergies, so I get why she's looking into other breeds. I had a APBT that had such horrible skin allergies, it was crazy! :eek: Was allergic to different poultry and all kinds of wheat/grain. I don't know how she bought food for 100$/1pound, I have a Bullmastiff right now that would eat that in a day :D:laugh:. Love the "miniature horse" to death though! :heart:
yes Lucy is allergic to chicken, meat, duck, turkey, salmon, tuna, pork, corn, wheat, soy, potatoes, eggs SHE CANT EAT the commercially available dog foods! Her last dog food was Quinoa, White Fish, salmon & rabbit! Then she became allergic to Salmon and now my sister cooks for her the Quinoa & the rabbit and she now gets a dog holistic food that only have white fish that is cheaper!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
If she's still looking for a dog, I suggest CL too. :D I adopted a miniature schnauzer from CL who used her as a backyard breeder. There are many older dogs there too. Not all have problems. Some have to go to school, don't want an older dog because of oncoming problems that comes with age, etc. Unfortunate, yes, but you'll be saving a life that would've been chucked to a high kill shelter.