• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My senegal seems to prefer males?? How do I fix this?

Attycakes

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
Hi all! So those of you who have read my past thread on Joey, my male senegal parrot, know a lot of the background already with him having territorial and aggressive behaviors. For those not informed, basically I have taken over the care of two bonded senegal parrots from my parents and while the female is bonded with me, the male gives me trouble.

So here's the newest development in Joey's world. We have been getting a little closer with target training and positive reinforcement, he lets me scratch his head and loves when I whisper-sweet talk him. However, there are still a lot of moments where he will come clear across the cage to sit on a perch close to me and get angry that I am in his area. There have been a few times where I have been in a seat and he has come as close as possible just to growl at me even though I am just silently reading or on the laptop. When inside his cage he will lunge at the bars if I am near (ex. putting the sheet on top for the night) but I get that it's his territory, he can defend it.

But here is where my mind now has been drawn to a long line of what the...

A few days ago, my fiancé came over to pick me up for a day on the town. He entered my room / the bird room temporarily and this man... he walked right up to Joey and said Hey Joey! a scritched him back on the head and coo'd and Joey fluffed right up and the little bugger let him love all over him I felt SCANDALIZED!! All my hard work with him and this is what I get? Betrayal!! (Not really, but I was mad jealous) Keep in mind, my fiancé has never interacted with Joey before other than once or twice maybe Joey hearing his voice in another room or seeing him in passing.

And then today, my dad walks into the room and first is startled by the changes (I set up a perch by the window with tons of toys, ladders, etc. a month ago. He apparently never came in the room since the initial set up). He asked if I wanted to take a ride with him and I said sure, let me get the birds in the cage. Atty stepped up, went right inside. But I mentioned Joey would be tricky as I had to target him to the cage. My dad laughs, walks right up to Joey, says "Hey Joey" and starts cooing at him, rubs his head, and offers his hand. And the cheeky little brat STEPPED RIGHT UP WITH NO HESITATION!! I am just in disbelief watching this.

All this time I thought it was behavioral directed to everyone and now I learn that the little booger has been selectively angsty against ME. And I am the one who has been giving them everything, healthy foods, treats, activities, training, etc. and someone who hasn't seen him in a month walks right in and shows me up lol!

Obviously this is in half-joking rant, but seriously?!? When my mom walks into the room, he will go into a growling and screeching fit until she leaves. Some days (like today) he is more tempermental with me, others calm and easy. I am at a loss!

How do I overcome this if it is directed at me? I realize that trust takes time to build up but I honestly feel kind of hurt that I have been working with him for a month now and someone he has never met walks right in and does what I have been working so dang hard to do!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It can take a long time. My Hahns was definitely a girl flirt, and would love most women. However men, she would alarm call and posture at. It was several months for her to accept my husband.

Attycakes

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
It can take a long time. My Hahns was definitely a girl flirt, and would love most women. However men, she would alarm call and posture at. It was several months for her to accept my husband.
Thanks for the hopeful reply haha. I realize it will take time to build trust. We had a really good day today.
I find him acting almost out of jealousy whenever he sees me interact with my female, Atty. I think some one-on-one only Joey time would do a lot for our relationship too.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Can you grow a moustache? :D

It just takes "time" to earn the trust/respect. A long time.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
I have the same issue with my Meyers. She loves men, any man will do. I have been working with her for 12 years and while she is better, I will never be the #1. She is a rehomed bird so not sure what her previous home life was. I am now retired and she is my main "project". In the last year, she has gotten even better but i can tell in her heart, my husband is always the favorite. The problem with that is he doesn't usually want to be bothered with her. Not a bird person. Not jealous, just a bit frustrated that all my efforts are not getting the change in her mindset I would like. She is a good bird, just not the luvbug towards me my other birds are. Oh well, we keep working at it and giving her extra attention. She is great until my husband walks in the door and then her behavior changes 360. Oh well, she is still my girl.