• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Rescues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
014.jpg This is Chicklet he just found a new home he plucks his chest feathers out all the time and there is really nothing anyone can do about it the vet ran test and he is healthy other wise. He is very loud and very demanding it was hard to find him a forever home with no feathers on his chest and being 15 years old already but we finally did and he is happy. Once a month I go check on him just to make sure he is in good hands. I rescue out of my home on my own dime and time so if you get an animal from me you sign a contract stateing I can pop up at any givin time to do a welfare check on the animal.

Im really careful when rehomeing my animals and picky when it comes to the care of them. I rescue all types of animals from dogs to Iguanas if it needs a home I take it in.

This is sierra Sierra.jpg We have decided to not rehome her to keep her as one of the family her poor feathers are all broken from not being able to expand them because she was kept in a dog crate instead of a cage. Her feathers look like this Sierra.jpg 002.jpg She is 3 years old and the only animal I ever felt so bad for that I paid top dollar to rescue. The money was worth it to save her from that awful life she was living. I have had herd tested for all illnesses dieseases ect. first thing after bringing her home to make sure she was healthy. Fortunatly she is healthy other than her feathers. I dont know much about Cockatoos but I do the best I can by reading web sites about them so that they are on the right diet and everything. I see that there are toys you need to buy some you can even make so that is something I started doing here recently. If anyone has anything they would like to share with me on how to care for my Cockatoo please share. I am open to all advice like I said Im slowly learning and am eger to learn more about my new friend
THANK YOU
View attachment 119931 This is Lenny he was just rehomed he was rescued last year from a bad home. He was in a small cage with 2 other Iguanas and the owner didnt know that males would fight eachother for the right of the female so we took in Lenny so he didnt get hurt. He is now with a personal friend of mine and givin alot of love and cared for.He is actually very spoiled now. This is Reaper View attachment 119932 He is my favorite dog rescue story.He had a broken leg and was chained to a tree made to fight and I took him out of that life. I had his leg fixed first thing. And got him fixed. Put in months of training and gave him alot of TLC and converted him from a fighter to a therophy dog and he is now certified. I had alot of help from friends and family with Reapers training he is now the biggest lap dog and cuddle bug you will ever meet. I kept him and he sleeps with us every night. He will never be adopted out due to the fact he is now part of the fAmily.
I have rescued lots of pit bulls trained them and found them homes its not an easy task rehomeing a pit bull is hard either landlords wont allow them or storys of the breed scared people from adopting the breed.
I will rescue any type of animal any breed and any species as long as I can care for them properly or go out and buy, build,provide the proper things they need to live. I now have 3 rescue dogs that I have trained and kept as family and a Cockatoo that is now one of us.

I rescue out of love for animals all animals. I own because I Love animals and can give them a good life and will do what ever it takes to make sure they are healthy and happy. Some animals I take in I have to look up there needs and how to care for them on the web before picking them up some I go rescue knowing nothing at all about and ofind myself joining chat rooms to learn like this one.

I am slowly learning about Sierra on this site and I thank each and everyone who has givin me helpful hints and tips about her....

Last edited:

Animal_lover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sarah
View attachment 119927 This is Chicklet he just found a new home he plucks his chest feathers out all the time and there is really nothing anyone can do about it the vet ran test and he is healthy other wise. He is very loud and very demanding it was hard to find him a forever home with no feathers on his chest and being 15 years old already but we finally did and he is happy. Once a month I go check on him just to make sure he is in good hands. I rescue out of my home on my own dime and time so if you get an animal from me you sign a contract stateing I can pop up at any givin time to do a welfare check on the animal.

Im really careful when rehomeing my animals and picky when it comes to the care of them. I rescue all types of animals from dogs to Iguanas if it needs a home I take it in.

This is sierra View attachment 119928 We have decided to not rehome her to keep her as one of the family her poor feathers are all broken from not being able to expand them because she was kept in a dog crate instead of a cage. Her feathers look like this View attachment 119928 View attachment 119929 She is 3 years old and the only animal I ever felt so bad for that I paid top dollar to rescue. The money was worth it to save her from that awful life she was living. I have had herd tested for all illnesses dieseases ect. first thing after bringing her home to make sure she was healthy. Fortunatly she is healthy other than her feathers. I dont know much about Cockatoos but I do the best I can by reading web sites about them so that they are on the right diet and everything. I see that there are toys you need to buy some you can even make so that is something I started doing here recently. If anyone has anything they would like to share with me on how to care for my Cockatoo please share. I am open to all advice like I said Im slowly learning and am eger to learn more about my new friend
THANK YOU
That is wonderful that you rescued this little one. There are lots of people here with toos who can give you advice. Best of luck:)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats on Bringing Sierra into your Family! What is she eating now? There are quite a few opinions on what to feed 'toos. I feed my U2,,Milton,pellets with just about any fresh veggie and fruit you can imagine.Apples and mangoes are most enjoyed. Milty's favorite veggies are sweet potato and corn.
My suggestion is to have Sierra try different fruits and veggies. She'll let you know which she favors. I also like to sneak in birdie bread from time to time. Sometimes Milty's in the mood, sometimes not. He also enjoys cooked pasta once in awhile.
As for pellets, I feed Zupreem. Again, others will have their preferences on which pellet to feed. A good pellet is one your bird will eat.
I know other owners will be along to add their experiences and advice. Again, congrats on Sierra...

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
I went out and bought every type of Cockatoo food the pet store had mixed it all together and then found out all I needed was the organic pellets.I am now feeding her the pellets. I do feed her veggies and fruit she only likes fresh not the dried fruit you can buy at the pet store. So Im learning from my mistakes.:):):)She loves peanut butter dont know how good it is for her but she will literly fight you for some peanut butter bread or crackers....
Congrats on Bringing Sierra into your Family! What is she eating now? There are quite a few opinions on what to feed 'toos. I feed my U2,,Milton,pellets with just about any fresh veggie and fruit you can imagine.Apples and mangoes are most enjoyed. Milty's favorite veggies are sweet potato and corn.
My suggestion is to have Sierra try different fruits and veggies. She'll let you know which she favors. I also like to sneak in birdie bread from time to time. Sometimes Milty's in the mood, sometimes not. He also enjoys cooked pasta once in awhile.
As for pellets, I feed Zupreem. Again, others will have their preferences on which pellet to feed. A good pellet is one your bird will eat.
I know other owners will be along to add their experiences and advice. Again, congrats on Sierra...

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
With peanut butter, almost all of us have to fight them off--just be sure she doesn't have access to big chunks, she could choke. Keep up the good work, it's so important. Is there a rescue you could contact/work with, for some practical, hands-on advice on occasion?:hug8:

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I went out and bought every type of Cockatoo food the pet store had mixed it all together and then found out all I needed was the organic pellets.I am now feeding her the pellets. I do feed her veggies and fruit she only likes fresh not the dried fruit you can buy at the pet store. So Im learning from my mistakes.:):):)She loves peanut butter dont know how good it is for her but she will literly fight you for some peanut butter bread or crackers....
Sounds like Sierra already making her likes and dislikes known to you! Milton,for some reason,doesn't really get into nuts. I try different types from time to time, though. Maybe he'll develop a liking for one. IMO,I like to give Milty fresh fruits and veggies. I enjoy cleaning and chopping them up for him....

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
I dont have contact with any rescue due to in my area there is only animal control and I step in to stop animals from going there due to the fact they only hold an animal for so long before putting them down. And any and all pit bulls they put down as soon as they inter the door. There are a few of us here in our county that take in animals into our home but never enough of us to save them All.....I take each and every animal that comes to my home to the vet as soon as possible and get some info from them but thats it...I get most of my info off the internet when taken in a new type of animal thats all I got to work with to help me and thats pretty much why Im on thise site:)
With peanut butter, almost all of us have to fight them off--just be sure she doesn't have access to big chunks, she could choke. Keep up the good work, it's so important. Is there a rescue you could contact/work with, for some practical, hands-on advice on occasion?:hug8:

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
Yeah she lets me know if she dont like or if she really likes something. I just dont want to give her something or do something thats bad for her I want to learn all I can
Sounds like Sierra already making her likes and dislikes known to you! Milton,for some reason,doesn't really get into nuts. I try different types from time to time, though. Maybe he'll develop a liking for one. IMO,I like to give Milty fresh fruits and veggies. I enjoy cleaning and chopping them up for him....

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Thanks for doing all you do with rescue!:hug8:
You've def come to the right place to learn about Too care from some knowledgeable people! Wish you all the luck!
By the way, the pics of the iguana and dog are not showing up (says invalid file) But, I'd love to see them.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm very grateful for people like you. I personally would never buy a baby bird (I'm definitely not a dog person) as long as there are so many hundreds of thousands out there who need help.

Peanut butter is not the best for a bird and whole peanuts, shelled or unshelled are a definite no, no. Read my post about Aspergillosis (Hank has now died from the long term effects of aspergillosis). http://forums.avianavenue.com/diseases/11130-aspergillosis-sad-update.html?highlight=aspergillosis.

A better choice than peanut butter is almond butter, which is lower in fats and higher in calcium. It is more expensive, but you can now find it at WalMart for 2-3 dollars less than most stores. You can also save it for bribes and when your cockatoo needs comfort.

Once again - THANK YOU.

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
Thank you I will try to fix the pix I dont know why they arent coming up:confused::confused:
Thanks for doing all you do with rescue!:hug8:
You've def come to the right place to learn about Too care from some knowledgeable people! Wish you all the luck!
By the way, the pics of the iguana and dog are not showing up (says invalid file) But, I'd love to see them.

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
I love all animals and try to save as many as I can Snakes is where I draw the line but my husband takes them if need be but only in an emergency situation I cant handle feeding something live animals just cant do it.....I will get some almond butter thats for sure. thanks for the tip
I'm very grateful for people like you. I personally would never buy a baby bird (I'm definitely not a dog person) as long as there are so many hundreds of thousands out there who need help.

Peanut butter is not the best for a bird and whole peanuts, shelled or unshelled are a definite no, no. Read my post about Aspergillosis (Hank has now died from the long term effects of aspergillosis). http://forums.avianavenue.com/diseases/11130-aspergillosis-sad-update.html?highlight=aspergillosis.

A better choice than peanut butter is almond butter, which is lower in fats and higher in calcium. It is more expensive, but you can now find it at WalMart for 2-3 dollars less than most stores. You can also save it for bribes and when your cockatoo needs comfort.

Once again - THANK YOU.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
And I like snakes much better than dogs. LOL But I don't think keeping a snake as a "pet" is moral.

For a whole nut treat (bribery) try pistachios - unsalted.

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
And I like snakes much better than dogs. LOL But I don't think keeping a snake as a "pet" is moral.

For a whole nut treat (bribery) try pistachios - unsalted.
Ill try those treats go look for some tomorrow actually. As far as snakes no way not my cup of tea

Status
Not open for further replies.