• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My rainbow lorikeets

Sophie.munro

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Munro
Hello my name is Sophie. For my bday my dad got me a rainbow lorikeet (buddy) in March '16.
I'm very concerned because he is a beautiful bird I love him and since I've had him he has lost all his tail feathers.
Can anyone please help me

Last edited by a moderator:

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It's possible that he is pulling them out, that it's because of poor diet, or he could be sick. How old is Buddy? How long have you had him? Have you noticed him plucking? What sort of food do you have him eating and what is his cage like (size, toys, etc.)?

It is generally recommended for new birds to get a wellness check by a qualified avian vet. Normal vets do not have the proper experience or knowledge to treat birds (they're very different to cats and dogs, obviously). You should get him checked out to make sure he isn't sick.

Reactions: TWR

Sophie.munro

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Munro
This is buddy's cage but most of the time he is out with me.
I feed him the wet and dry lorry mix also recommended fruit off the fruit list I have.

Attachments

Sophie.munro

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Munro
Buddy is nearly 1 year old I have had him since March

Sophie.munro

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Munro
Thankyou very much gypsy :)
he is a beautiful bird and I want him to be as healthy and happy as I can possibly make him

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Hi Sophie, :)

I would tend to think that your cage is way too small for your little fid! This may contribute to his loss of feathers as well! Fortunately, he is out of the cage most of the time? What happens when you go to school, ect?

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree that the cage is maybe a little small, and possibly skittle sparse of toys. This may contribute to boredom and feather plucking in your little guy. I don't know what the recommended size is for a lorry, but the bigger the better. Do you have any other pets in the house? Dogs or cats might be making him stressed.

Well done on looking out for your feathered friend, and making sure he's healthy and happy. It's obvious that you love and care for him a lot and are a very good bird mum. Birds aren't always easy pets, and I think it takes a special sort of person to do the job properly. :)

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome to AA.

Lorikeets are very active birds and I do think the cage is too small. If he really is out of his cage all day, then perhaps you can get away with a cage like this - but what happens while you're at school. Is he caged then? If he is, then it would be nice if you could start thinking about a cage upgrade.

If he is losing feathers, first thing to do is to have a wellness check from an avian vet (not a normal vet) to rule out a medical reason for the feather loss. If not medical, then you need to look at environmental factors. Is he bored - a bigger cage and more toys may help. Is he getting enough sleep?

Because it's his tail feathers, it doesn't sound like plucking - but I'm far from an expert (even though I am owned by a plucking lorikeet myself) so I really recommend the vet visit.

Sophie.munro

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Munro
Thankyou so much everyone for your information. My dad is now looking into a much larger cage for buddy.
Buddy loves my dad too lol

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Agree with the others that the cage is too small. He may be breaking off feathers during play because of the lack of space. To rule out medical problems consider taking him to the vet.