• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Pom=My Shadow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I have a pom named Fia (the cute, cuddly little face in my avatar) and I love her to itty bitty pieces. My little loveypooflufferkins!
But I'm beginning to have some issues with my little darling, and I was hoping for some insight:

1. Fia MUST be with me at all times. Her world is ending if I am not around...or so she makes it seem.
I don't really know how to deal with this, because I work and go to school, and I have other pets too that I like to spend time with. She can get fairly aggressive and pushy if I am spending time with any of the other pets (she will even growl at the fish tank when I am feeding the fish). I'm trying to do the "good behavior like sitting and waiting makes me reach down to pet you, bad behavior like jumping against my leg and barking and growling at the fish makes me ignore you" but it really hasn't seemed to work. We go through the same routine every morning and afternoon without much improvement. I was told by someone to try obedience classes, or doggy daycare. Getting her out and exposing her to other things besides me might help. Well, we dropped out of doggy classes after class two, she is very obedient and will do what I ask, but she was terrified of the other dogs, and she flipped out when the trainer tried to take her away from me to work with her one on one. She actually screamed like the trainer was hurting her. Doggy daycare was a more "successful" venture, but very expensive, and I didn't really see her interacting with other dogs, or people (yes, I stalked and watched on the doggie cams like all day). She just sort of sat in a corner and laid down, and would only get up and move once in a while, until I came to pick her up. For $30, she could have done that at home and probably gotten more interaction from the cat.

2. Housetraining. *cough*
We go through phases. 3 months, no accidents in the house, lots of praise when she goes outside and does her jobs, treats given when she comes back in after doing her business and such. I normally would kennel her at night, but if she's being really good for a month or so, I will let her sleep up on the bed with me which she LOVES. About a month of that, and then she pees on the floor. The routine doesn't change, the schedule doesn't change, nothing I can see that really dramatically changes? And then its downhill from there, she completely abandons the concept of going to the bathroom outside, and we're at Square 1 (its sooo good that I have a Rug Doctor.) She was a rescue dog from a puppymill, and I'd read that they would be harder to housetrain, but with a diligent schedule and such, I was told it was at least possible :confused:

Anyone have any advice? (Besides giving my dog away to some retiree who wants a 24 hour companion. Paul already suggested that, and its not going to happen unless I'm totally convinced thats the best thing for her, which I am not.)

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
I have a similar issue with housetraining and my female chihuahua. She will be perfect for weeks or months and then she'll start having accidents inside the house. My male chihuahua started off worse, but he's actually the better of the two now. He rarely has any inside the house now.

I just pick up where we left off with training and go from there.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Are you at home when she pees? I know my little JRT Lucy had seperation anxiety and would poop in every room she could get to and she'd be getting as much out as she could too. But our vet said it was separation anxiety which luckily she has gotten over.
Good luck with the adorable little girl.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Beau our shetland sheepdog has to be physically pushed out the door if it so much as rains! Otherwise he would rather do it in the comfort of the home! I should co co!:D

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Beau our shetland sheepdog has to be physically pushed out the door if it so much as rains! Otherwise he would rather do it in the comfort of the home! I should co co!:D
:rofl::rofl:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I have a similar issue with housetraining and my female chihuahua. She will be perfect for weeks or months and then she'll start having accidents inside the house. My male chihuahua started off worse, but he's actually the better of the two now. He rarely has any inside the house now.

I just pick up where we left off with training and go from there.

Yeah, I'm usually am home. Sometimes she will get up from laying at my feet to go do it :rolleyes:

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
We have a similar issue with the separation anxiety. She has tons of toys and a cat to play with. I know she whines for about 5 mins after we leave and then seems to stop. Of course I have no idea what she does while we are gone.
We took her to get groomed today for the first time (we had been doing it ourselves previously) and even the groomer commented on her separation anxiety. The groomer had to go pee and Foxxy whined the entire time the groomer was gone :lol:
As for tyhe housetraining, Foxxy is the WORST. We still have accidents on a daily basis - except at night and first thing in the morning. We already know we have to replace the carpeting in the hallway and spare bedroom. :mad: It's a constant struggle. Come spring we are hoping to replace the carpeting with laminate floor (our landlord will go half on cost as it upgrades the apartment) and are hoping that puts a stop to the accidents.
I think both of these things are Pom traits as I used to belong to a Pom group on Facebook and these 2 things were the major topics of discussion.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I have a pom named Fia (the cute, cuddly little face in my avatar) and I love her to itty bitty pieces. My little loveypooflufferkins!
But I'm beginning to have some issues with my little darling, and I was hoping for some insight:

1. Fia MUST be with me at all times. Her world is ending if I am not around...or so she makes it seem.
I don't really know how to deal with this, because I work and go to school, and I have other pets too that I like to spend time with. She can get fairly aggressive and pushy if I am spending time with any of the other pets (she will even growl at the fish tank when I am feeding the fish). I'm trying to do the "good behavior like sitting and waiting makes me reach down to pet you, bad behavior like jumping against my leg and barking and growling at the fish makes me ignore you" but it really hasn't seemed to work. We go through the same routine every morning and afternoon without much improvement. I was told by someone to try obedience classes, or doggy daycare. Getting her out and exposing her to other things besides me might help. Well, we dropped out of doggy classes after class two, she is very obedient and will do what I ask, but she was terrified of the other dogs, and she flipped out when the trainer tried to take her away from me to work with her one on one. She actually screamed like the trainer was hurting her. Doggy daycare was a more "successful" venture, but very expensive, and I didn't really see her interacting with other dogs, or people (yes, I stalked and watched on the doggie cams like all day). She just sort of sat in a corner and laid down, and would only get up and move once in a while, until I came to pick her up. For $30, she could have done that at home and probably gotten more interaction from the cat.

2. Housetraining. *cough*
We go through phases. 3 months, no accidents in the house, lots of praise when she goes outside and does her jobs, treats given when she comes back in after doing her business and such. I normally would kennel her at night, but if she's being really good for a month or so, I will let her sleep up on the bed with me which she LOVES. About a month of that, and then she pees on the floor. The routine doesn't change, the schedule doesn't change, nothing I can see that really dramatically changes? And then its downhill from there, she completely abandons the concept of going to the bathroom outside, and we're at Square 1 (its sooo good that I have a Rug Doctor.) She was a rescue dog from a puppymill, and I'd read that they would be harder to housetrain, but with a diligent schedule and such, I was told it was at least possible :confused:

Anyone have any advice? (Besides giving my dog away to some retiree who wants a 24 hour companion. Paul already suggested that, and its not going to happen unless I'm totally convinced thats the best thing for her, which I am not.)
I am a pom lover here too:) And, a professional trainer, so here are some thoughts.

Yes, it sounds like she is very anxious and attached to you. You are correct not to reinforce when she demands attention. I know it may seem like ignoring her "isn't working" in fact, it may seems like it is getting worse, but this is called an extinction burst, it means that it IS working but the animal is trying what has worked in the past. Keep ignoring the demanding behavior.

I would also put up either a pen or a crate for her and get her used to spending periods of "alone" time in there, with something she might really like such as a bully stick or a stuffed kong. It may take a while for her to relax in there but that is ok, you have time:) If she barks or carries on, ignore it, and do your own thing. The goal is to teach her to be away from you while you tend to your other animals or just hang out, but you are doing it in a safe, comfortable place. The pen can be in the room with you but she is off of you and not able to poke or scratch or demand attention.

As far as classes go, it depends. In my classes when we get anxious or fearful dogs they are not going to have the same goals as the other dogs. So, with our fearful or anxious dogs were are not "training" or asking for behaviors, we just start to reward relaxed behaviors.

As far as doggie daycare goes you were right to pull her out of there. She was not having fun and it sounds like doing avoidance behaviors, not fun for her. In fact, the majority of dogs are not great candidates for doggie daycares or dog parks.

I am in the same boat. I am putting a HUGE plan in place at my house for my 10 dogs including separating into groups and all dogs off the couch for 30 days as we work through some issues and while I collect data on what I think is going on between them. It's tough, but in the end, if you stick it out it will make things so much better.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Vicki-
Thanks for all of the insight!
I do have a playpen for her that I've set up. We used it for a while much as you described, but it transformed from being "alone time place" to "eliminating place" and the second I would put her in there she would pee and/or poo on the floor, even if she had just been outside :(. I'm sure her anxiety had something to do with it, even with the playpen being in the same room as us. What I can say though, is that this helped me establish for her that she needed to go outside, because I would be able to time it, and I would put her in there, she would hunker down to eliminate, and I would scoop her up and take her outside and she would finish there and I would praise her. I put her bed in the playpen, but maybe we will try it again with a bully stick or a kong to distract her, she was very intent on watching me and extremely upset when I would pet the cat or talk to the fishies. Thanks for all of the tips! I'm just hoping that we'll get through this and master housebreaking.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I thank you for the tips as well because I'm having the same troubles house training my 9 month old Chinese crested male. :rolleyes:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Vicki-
Thanks for all of the insight!
I do have a playpen for her that I've set up. We used it for a while much as you described, but it transformed from being "alone time place" to "eliminating place" and the second I would put her in there she would pee and/or poo on the floor, even if she had just been outside :(. I'm sure her anxiety had something to do with it, even with the playpen being in the same room as us. What I can say though, is that this helped me establish for her that she needed to go outside, because I would be able to time it, and I would put her in there, she would hunker down to eliminate, and I would scoop her up and take her outside and she would finish there and I would praise her. I put her bed in the playpen, but maybe we will try it again with a bully stick or a kong to distract her, she was very intent on watching me and extremely upset when I would pet the cat or talk to the fishies. Thanks for all of the tips! I'm just hoping that we'll get through this and master housebreaking.
She is probably going to the bathroom in there because of anxiety. I think what you did is perfect, watch her and rush her outside if she starts to go (without emotion adn without talking) and then put her back in. You did the right thing:)

She will get through this. I work with a lot of clients dogs like this. I am dealing with a dog of my own that is very "clingy" and needy too. I just started (on Friday) a new plan which means no dogs on the couch for 2 weeks, then I will begin a new, invitation only routine. My little girl Carrot, is already doing better.:hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
We have a similar issue with the separation anxiety. She has tons of toys and a cat to play with. I know she whines for about 5 mins after we leave and then seems to stop. Of course I have no idea what she does while we are gone.
We took her to get groomed today for the first time (we had been doing it ourselves previously) and even the groomer commented on her separation anxiety. The groomer had to go pee and Foxxy whined the entire time the groomer was gone :lol:
As for tyhe housetraining, Foxxy is the WORST. We still have accidents on a daily basis - except at night and first thing in the morning. We already know we have to replace the carpeting in the hallway and spare bedroom. :mad: It's a constant struggle. Come spring we are hoping to replace the carpeting with laminate floor (our landlord will go half on cost as it upgrades the apartment) and are hoping that puts a stop to the accidents.
I think both of these things are Pom traits as I used to belong to a Pom group on Facebook and these 2 things were the major topics of discussion.
My Pom doesn't have housetraining issues, but the key is to really limit their access (give them only a small amount of space) and take them out OFTEN. Learn to recognize the signals just before they go and take them out. Of course, never punish for going inside or they learn to avoid going around you and will start hiding and going when you can't see them. Just say "oops outside" and rush them out.

With all new puppies and rescues I use ex pens, baby gates and close doors. Limited access. HUGE reinforcement for going outside (a little blob of cheese whiz off my finger is my potty treat:).

Status
Not open for further replies.