• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My "new to me" Too...curious...

Status
Not open for further replies.

finerground

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jess
My newly acquired U2 appears to adore me. I have been handling her for over a week at the local independently owned pet shop where I got her. I made the decision to bring her home yesterday and she has been wonderful, just as she was at the shop. I was cautious at first in the shop and did not try to take her from her cage, just talked to her through the bars, she really took to me, giving me kisses, letting me touch and pet her tongue, taking treats, letting me scratch her head and under her wings. I finally decided to take the plunge and offer her my arm into her cage, she immediately stepped up and snuggled under my chin, making clucking/clicking noises, and baby like whimpers. She allowed me to carry her around the shop and we looked at the fish, lizards, etc...she was particularly intrigued by the fish
Saying "hello there" "Hi, you"...lol...she was (and is) very calm. I read all of the stories about biting toos and as of yet she has not shown one sign of aggression toward me. She always steps up when my arm is offered, always cuddles and coos, allows me to touch her wherever. She also loves to "preen" my hair and mouth my fingers with her beak and tongue, she is so very gentle, even when using her beak as an aid in stepping up or moving up my arm. Last night she was on the couch with me while I was watching a movie, snuggled up under my chin and seemed so content she could have slept there. Is this behavior I can expect from her? She is an excellent talker and if I put her on the floor or back in her cage I get an exaggerated disappointed sounding "Awwwwwww" (think a little kid not getting the ice cream he asked for)She is 7 years old and came from a couple that owned her since she was a baby. She was given away because the wife (girlfriend?) in the relationship developed allergies. She is not a screamer, she talks more than anything. Is this normal?

tibanks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tina
She sounds wonderful..I have no too knowledge so I cant help answer your questions, but wanted to say :congrats:on your adoption.

finerground

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jess
Awww...thanks! She is wonderful ;)
I did a lot of research on Toos before I decided to bring one home, and I was in the pet shop (btw, very small mostly fish, and supplies and independently owned, I was there buying food for my ball python when I first met Millie, I buy all of my pet supply needs etc. from there-not a fan of big box stores, I believe in supporting local businesses-and have become a friend of the owner). She was being fostered there (he has 2 African Greys that "live" there, but doesn't "deal" in birds) she was brought in with a yellow fronted amazon. They were brought in together, both with separate cages, food, toys, all accessories, etc...The man only asked for what the cages and toys were worth, it was not very much. Less than what a new cage would have cost. I know some people are touchy about "buying" birds, so I just wanted to put that out there :)
But once I brought her home I did even more research, joined some message boards, etc...just so I could learn every little thing out there about her...i have heard a lot of horror stories about them. Almost as if they are portrayed as the "pit-bull" (nothing against that breed) of birds. Her behavior hasn't changed since I brought her home (except yesterday she pouted for a while because I cleaned her cage and washed all of her toys/bowls/etc) but she got over it, jumped off of her cage and followed me all around the kitchen displaying, bobbing, and shouting "Hey you!" "I love you!" "come here!" among other things like "what the hell?" (which I assure you she learned from her previous family!) Now I am a bit worried since I have heard soooooo many negative things about them, I am obviously aware of the risks (biting, etc)....I've even been warned not to let her "shoulder sit" because they can turn in seconds...but this is something she loves...she nuzzles behind my ear and almost whispers "i love you" and "awwwww" (think "she's so cute")....just not sure what is right and what is wrong...

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Congrats on your new girl. Right now you are in what's called the honeymoon phase. This is where the bird is unsure of it's surroundings and does not feel comfortable enough to show it's true character.

Not saying she isn't the sweetest thing on the planet, just saying that when she gets to feel she's at home she's going to kick off her shoes, throw her clothes (food) on the floor, and perhaps a temper tantrum or two.

Right now you have the opportunity to set a routine. It's never a good thing to give a Too unlimited attention and 24/7 cuddling although they are hard to resist.

You need to establish a routine where she has play time, cage time, cuddle time, TV time, outdoor in the harness time, school time etc., etc. They thrive on being the center of attention and there's nothing wrong with that except it can't be all cuddling all the time. Can we see a photo?

Ginger

http://forums.avianavenue.com/cocka...ble-cockatoo-paraphrased-sally-blanchard.html

Ginger

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Congratulations on your new addition. Is this your first bird? I think Ginger hit it right on the head. Make sure that you are giving her the same amount of attention now that you think you will give her a month, year, five years from now. I'm not a big person on strict schedules but I do believe that you'll have a better relationship with a Cockatoo that understands that it has to play independently and knows the ins and the outs of life in your home. Make sure to give her down time away from you in her cage every day. It's so easy to love these little sponges and then they learn to expect it and that can lead to behavioral problems.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congratulations at 7 she is just a teenager you are in the honeymoon stage and I also would set a routine and not shoulder yet I have three toos all different and only one I trust to shoulder when he can be handled I have had him 10 years and there are times that I still can not handle him when he is in a mood you should watch the crest when it is up your bird may be over stimulated and bite or it may be interested in some thing it is looking at this is the alert mode if that makes since only time will tell and help you read the behavior of you bird note their bite is worse then the Nanday conure you had when you were young the object is not to get bit and cut that behavior short

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
"Generally" the females don't get as worked up and agressive like the males. Being 7 years old she is ripe to begin having hormones. Avoid nesty things and places because you don't want her to start laying eggs. Are you positive she's a female? If she is you will need to pay special attention to a proper diet if/when she lays eggs.

finerground

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jess
Well, we have actually already worked out our "routine" :) I have 3 boys (3 1/2, 5, and 8) she kinda fit right in naturally. The 2 older are in school all day, and my 3 1/2 year old is home with me (I only work 2 evenings a weekend) We wake up, I uncover her, give her a few treats we all talk to her in the morning hustle of getting ready for school, once the older boys are gone, I open her cage and the windows behind it (for the view) She perches on top and talks, looks out the windows, watches cartoons (lol), while I go about my routine, giving her pets and scratches and talking to her as I go by. She is very calm at this time. I am slowly acclimating my 3 year old to her, he feeds her grapes (under very close supervision!) Occasionally I will hold her and let him pet her. He and the other boys are very keen on "animal rules", as I also have a 4 1/2' ball python. They understand that animals such as my Bella and Millie have special do's and dont's, and are very good about respecting that. When the other 2 come home that's hectic play time, lol! This is when Millie really gets her kicks! She sits on top of her cage, displays, head bobs, the boys sing to her, she sings back, says every word she knows...occasionally screams...fun times! Once they all quiet down, it's dinner time, then a movie with the lights low...I put her back in the cage at this time and she "watches" the movie with them...once they are in bed, that's when it's Mommy & Millie time, with no distractions...we have fun...shes out and off of her cage...following me...playing etc. (I keep her on her cage or on me while the boys are awake/home) it's too cold here (I think) to take her outside, but when it warms up, she will be out with us :)

And oh my yes! I know how bad it hurt when the conure bit me (Ive been bitten by other birds as well) I definately "respect the beak" lol

I think i managed to get the pic in my sig :)

congobongo

Meeting neighbors
I have 2 U2's myself and both are lovely birds. However, the first one I had (deceased) for the first month or 6 weeks was a lovely sweet thing and then turned into a monster. Bit my ear all of a sudden and out of the blue! Then started chasing me around and biting my feet!

I totally agree to be very cautious through the next 3-4 months so that you or a member of your family do not get hurt. I subscribe to the honeymoon philosophy. Even with my macaws I've done this. Until you truly know and trust the bird and the bird trusts you be careful.

I hope all does go well. I love my Toos and they are really sweet but they can totally be monsters as well.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Congrats, Millie is beautiful! I can't tell in the picture but Millie's eyes look really dark which might make Millie a little boy... Female eyes are usually redish brownish in color.

finerground

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jess
Thanks for the link to the first aide kit :) Also, I was told she was a "she" and that the previous owner (he had been the only one) had her sexed...and she came with the name Millie...But ya never know...Millie might be a Billy after the vet...:hehe:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Well, we have actually already worked out our "routine" :) I have 3 boys (3 1/2, 5, and 8) she kinda fit right in naturally. The 2 older are in school all day, and my 3 1/2 year old is home with me (I only work 2 evenings a weekend) We wake up, I uncover her, give her a few treats we all talk to her in the morning hustle of getting ready for school, once the older boys are gone, I open her cage and the windows behind it (for the view) She perches on top and talks, looks out the windows, watches cartoons (lol), while I go about my routine, giving her pets and scratches and talking to her as I go by. She is very calm at this time. I am slowly acclimating my 3 year old to her, he feeds her grapes (under very close supervision!) Occasionally I will hold her and let him pet her. He and the other boys are very keen on "animal rules", as I also have a 4 1/2' ball python. They understand that animals such as my Bella and Millie have special do's and dont's, and are very good about respecting that. When the other 2 come home that's hectic play time, lol! This is when Millie really gets her kicks! She sits on top of her cage, displays, head bobs, the boys sing to her, she sings back, says every word she knows...occasionally screams...fun times! Once they all quiet down, it's dinner time, then a movie with the lights low...I put her back in the cage at this time and she "watches" the movie with them...once they are in bed, that's when it's Mommy & Millie time, with no distractions...we have fun...shes out and off of her cage...following me...playing etc. (I keep her on her cage or on me while the boys are awake/home) it's too cold here (I think) to take her outside, but when it warms up, she will be out with us :)
And oh my yes! I know how bad it hurt when the conure bit me (Ive been bitten by other birds as well) I definately "respect the beak" lol

I think i managed to get the pic in my sig :)
It sounds like your doing good :)

How is her diet like? And make sure you provide her lots of wood to chew on and toys to play with :)

One more thing, I believe "rowdy time" is very healthy for cockatoos. A time to scream and sing and rejoice and release all the days energy by vocalizing. However she is very new to your family. I would be very cautious with this and discourage this behavior until 1-2more months go by. Preferebly 3 more months go by. She needs to settle in, and she needs to gain trust in her family. Typically cockatoos only scream(sing, vocalize loudly, etc) if they percieve something as invading their territory. And since she is new to your family, she may think your younger kids are showing aggressive signs to her, so she may turn aggressive to them. Just a warning. I personally try to keep the environment calm and stable for a few months for the new bird to settle in. You just dont know what may tick them off. Especially once they've hit hormones (your girl is 7 and just starting them).

finerground

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jess
Geez, she came with so many toys, I had to remove some from her cage so she could move around!

I'm assuming she was on a seed diet before, I am slowly going to start introducing a diet of fresh cooked veggies, potatoes, whole grain rice....I've found a lot of great recipes on the web...I know that a seed diet is not good for them at all. I have been offering her dried and fresh fruits, I found out today that she likes whole grain cheerios (?) probably not the best, but maybe occasionally as a treat.

I will try to curb the "rowdy-ness" if I can...my 8 year old loves to sing to her and so far has taught her to sing "polly wolly doodle all the day" he does this during that time, she is in the living room of our house, so it may be a difficult task to accomplish :) but I will try!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
a beautiful girl and bles syour heart for taking her into your home!!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Geez, she came with so many toys, I had to remove some from her cage so she could move around!

I'm assuming she was on a seed diet before, I am slowly going to start introducing a diet of fresh cooked veggies, potatoes, whole grain rice....I've found a lot of great recipes on the web...I know that a seed diet is not good for them at all. I have been offering her dried and fresh fruits, I found out today that she likes whole grain cheerios (?) probably not the best, but maybe occasionally as a treat.

I will try to curb the "rowdy-ness" if I can...my 8 year old loves to sing to her and so far has taught her to sing "polly wolly doodle all the day" he does this during that time, she is in the living room of our house, so it may be a difficult task to accomplish :) but I will try!
Why not get her onto some good healthy pellets? :)

Natural Zupreem works, Roudybush Pellets, or Harrisons.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Just catching up on this since I read your two other posts...cockatoos are a whole different ball game than other birds...very sensitive...very energetic, etc....since you just brought her home, i would take it slow...start developing a routine, but try to make your home relaxing and comforting and safe. Be very careful with your children as cockatoos can be unpredictable until you learn to read their language.

i am so happy you took this one in...give it time!

Status
Not open for further replies.