• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new beta fish!

bumblebee

Walking the driveway
I used to have a little purple beta fish called Chum, but sadly he passed away last year. We missed him so much that we decided to get another little beta last weekend. Everyone in the store kept calling him ugly, but I think he's pretty! I tried to capture a few photos but it was hard, they don't do him justice. :)

His name is Fu Manchu, or Fu for short... My boyfriend got naming rights because I lost the rock, paper, scissors battle. :shifty:

Anyway... Here's Fu!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nice photos. Keep him healthy. I almost bought a beaut on EBay but changed my mind.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I've never seen a betta that color. How unusually pretty :heart:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
He's very pretty! :xflove: I think muted tones look stunning on beta's just as much as the vibrant ones.
My late beta originally was a dark blue in his youth but turned black as he aged - my friends thought he wasn't as pretty then but he always was the handsomest in my eyes. :heart:

I wish you many great years with little Fu! :)

bumblebee

Walking the driveway
It's amazing how many different colours they come in! I've seen one that was white with black spotty fins, he was beautiful but he was very expensive.

It's sad they can't be kept in groups, I always feel so sad for them! He is already making a little bubblenest, he wants a girlfriend...! :joyful:

They're such pleasant little fish though, I love just sitting and watching him do laps of his tank. Peanut likes watching him too, haha.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
He's very pretty!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Beautiful

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
He is stunning! congrats

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
Congrats on the new fish, hope he lives his full time with you. I never thought those Bettas were ugly either (especially considering some of the other fish I've had [or desperately wanted ha ha ha]), I like the coppery sheen on them. Can we get some pictures of the full tank? Also this is a bit more technical but can you post your filtration setup, its fine if not. Fish looks really healthy btw, you can even see the gill flare under the operculum (if you put a mirror up to the tank you'll really get to see it), the fins look great too, what are you feeding him, his color is great?
Depending on how big your tank is we had 6 Pygmy cory catfish in with ours and that went well.
I think he meant groups of other betta, which can by no means can be kept in the same tank with another male, hence the name, Siamese Fighting Fish.

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
I think he meant groups of other betta, which can by no means can be kept in the same tank with another male, hence the name, Siamese Fighting Fish.
Well maybe in a massive tank, but certainly not in the average aquarium. Maybe a 100 gallon+ tank, the problems would be nullified though if enough females were present or if there were a ton of males.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very pretty! And his name made me :giggle:

bumblebee

Walking the driveway
I'm at work at the moment but I can post some when I get home, it looks similar to this but it's more rectangular;

When we move to a bigger house I'd really love to have a huge tropical tank. I used to work as a receptionist for a company that had a massive tank at the front desk and I was in charge of feeding/cleaning... I loved it. It's surprising how much personality fish can have as well. One of the blue tangs used to play hide and seek with her partner - they'd chase each other around the tank and then she'd race off and hide inside a rock. Her partner would come look for her, then she'd pop out and they'd chase each other all over again, it was adorable! The clownfish always used to follow me around the tank when I walked past too.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
That betta is dangerously skinny. He needs some fatty food urgently. Feed him a lot of bloodworms, either live (preferable) or frozen. Not freeze dried. They should be 60% or so of his diet along with a high fat betta pellet until he is at a safe weight.

Do you have a filter and heater for him? Is he in a proper size tank? While bettas can survive in a small bowl with frequent water changes, this is far from ideal.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Do you have experience with fishkeeping/filtration?