• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Neighbor's Dog~RIP Diva

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
There was a call on my phone from Sunday, from my neighbor.We were'nt home, so missed the call. When I see this, I usually give her a buzz to see what is up. I found out yesterday one of their dogs died Sunday. The youngest one, no more than 2-3 years old...close to Heartly{my dog} I went to console them, but also to give some advice. I hate to say this, rest her soul, but that dog drove me crazy. She tore up my entire fence in the backyard, digging under it constantly to get into my yard. So they had started keeping her on a chain.:( This is illegal in the heat of the day. You are allowed by law to tie them in the evening, until early in the morning. But they kept her tied most of the time. Her neck was beginning to show wear from the chain wrapped around it. It broke my heart....I tried to make other suggestions, like fixing the fence on their side with wire. But they just kept putting stupid stuff in the holes she dug, which was easy for her to get through. They have another dog, a 17 year old lab with heartworms. They do not take their dogs to the vet, do not walk them, no baths, and barely pay much attention to them.:(:(:(
They are of the mind that the younger dog kept the older dog going, so I know they will want another. I want to help them, and gave them some basic ideas on care, as far as shots, and heartworm preventative, and alternative ideas than taking them to an expensive vet.They are not rich by any means. BUt of course I feel they should give at least basic care, if they are going to have a pet. Some people are just used to keeping outside dogs this way, and they feel if they have a dog that is 17, they must be doing something right. I tried to explain to them why Nikki{the living dog} is so sedentary, and describe to them what heartworms are like so they understand. I told them I would help them find a better breed that would not run off{though I would probably too..if I were that dog..grrr}
I have many concerns, including wondering just what killed Diva. It is so hot, and they have no shelter. That right there could have killed her. She was fine in the a.m., playing with Nikki. By the afternoon she was laying by the side of the yard, lifeless.
Diva had just gotten loose again just a few days before, and as usual was in my yard, running around with Heartly. Which brings me to one of my concerns...could she have had something that could make Heartly sick? He sees the vet on a regular basis, is on flea and heartworm preventative, and eats the best food...and lives inside.
I tried to suggest this as an idea. That maybe they could clean her up, brush her, and at least allow Nikki to come onto the back porch to get out of the elements. I explained what good it might do, for her to get some attention, petting, talking to, and how it always breaks my heart to see her out there laying in a hole. She is solid black with semi long hair, on top of being quite old. It is hot...and keeping any animal outside in this heat is incredibly cruel to me. But what do I do? All I can figure is try to make good suggestions, I cannot force them to change their ways. Only hope they might consider it. So sad. Poor Diva..I called her 'the brown one'. RIP little girl.:(
*sorry for the book..

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
This is terrible! :( I'm so sorry that you have to live next to neighbours that just don't "get it". And I'm so sorry that Diva had to pay the price for this. :(

I hope they do take your advice on board.

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Call Animal control...what they are doing is criminal - literally...period :(

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
So Sorry :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Call Animal control...what they are doing is criminal - literally...period :(
OCAS took their dog away to dispose of it...soooo...dead end there...
It is upsetting, but all I can really do is try to educate, not get in a war with my neighbors..
Thanks Kelsey & Miriam.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you need to report them to animal control...what they are doing is abuse..no animal s should have to suffer like that.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
As I said...OCAS{Orange County Animal Services} is aware of the situation, so what do I do?
They told them maybe a snake bit her{NOT} there are only 4 venomous snakes in FL, and the black snake the hubby saw the other day is not one of them. I highly doubt a water moccasin, coral, pygmy rattler, or eastern diamondback was in their yard.
The officer{s} had to see her neck from the damage from the chain. Try to help them understand what they did was wrong, and not keeping the dogs protected from heartworms and other diseases, and not keeping a dog on a chain during the heat of the day. And giving the dog some shelter. That's about all I can think to do..education and guidance. They respect me, so it may go far with them.

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I'm so sorry Carole, my heart aches for both of them

I have outside dogs and it has been sooo hot - they have shelter in the shade, a fan and two wading pools in the summer

It is hard to guess what happened to your neighbors dog - have you called your vet? They might be able to brainstorm with you whether or not Heartly is at risk for anything

I think it is great that you are trying to educate your neighbors rather than judge them

:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.