• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

my male african greys

heba

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
hebs
i have 2 male african greys; one is 3 years old & the other was a rescue & looks like he's old & who's very active & having a disorder of non stop feather plucking
there's this friend of mine who has a female african grey..she's travelling overseas for a month & suggested giving me her female so as to spend time with my male ones
i just need to know how far eould this affect my ones especially the rescue..
i'm thinking he might enjoy her company.
but what if he gets attached to her then she leaves again after a month?
& is it wrong to put her with two males?
i don't keep them in cages as well so i wonder how they'll behave?

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the Avenue. My first question is: has your friend's Grey been vetted? If your friend plans on taking her Grey back after a month, I would keep her bird separated from your bird(s) for health and safety reasons.

heba

Real Name
hebs
thanks 4 ur reply...well i was willing to accept my freind's offer only so that my rescue one would chill a bit by having a nice company for a while
so i'm definitely not planning 2 separate them

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
thanks 4 ur reply...well i was willing to accept my freind's offer only so that my rescue one would chill a bit by having a nice company for a while
so i'm definitely not planning 2 separate them
If your friend's Grey hasn't been vetted, it should be quarantined to prevent spreading diseases. Do you know if she's been given the all clear from an avian vet?

heba

Real Name
hebs
well neither is hers nor are mine..i would tell you this sadly but we rarely have our birds vetted in Egypt
so pls clarify

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
well neither is hers nor are mine..i would tell you this sadly but we rarely have our birds vetted in Egypt
so pls clarify
I guess at this point it would be a crap shoot, but if one bird is carrying a disease, it could easily spread to the other birds. I'm not sure what the other options are. I'll tag a few members who are more knowledgeable about diseases and quarantine than I am.
@Hankmacaw @Mizzely @SandraK

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
ll i was willing to accept my freind's offer only so that my rescue one would chill a bit by having a nice

It may be exactly the opposite response. One female AG birds with two males could end up in jealous fights between the males.
Have you had the plucking bird to the vet to rule out any medical issues? Be careful with this decision because the plucking could go either way, stop or increase.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
As Brittany said the biggest risk is bringing disease into your home and flock. Throughout the World with those who are familiear with parrots a new parrot is quarantined from the original flock for 30days. There are many diseases that can be carried by another parrot without symptoms for many months - Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD) and Proventricular Dilation Disease (PDD) are two right off the top of my head. It is my understanding that PBFD is common among African Greys in the Mid East and some parrots carry the virus without any symptoms.

@Lady Jane is correct about putting one female in with two males. You very well could end up getting a bird badly injured or killed.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the avenue, heba! :meet:

While it's possible your grey could benefit from having a new friend, I don't believe introducing one and then taking her away a month later would do any bird any good - especially if they ended up liking each other.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:welcome2:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome I hope you enjoy your time here :)