• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

my lovebird keeping humping his perch?

cinnobee

Meeting neighbors
i have a dutch blue and peach faced lovebird. they’re a bonded pair. however i noticed my male being very hormonal..he’ll make a noise like he’s mating and his leg would be sticking out and rubbing his vent against the perch. is this just a seasonal behavior like this? because we got them back around september 8th and they were constantly trying to mate but now he’s going after his perch..i feel it’s important to note that the person who had these guys before me didn’t take the time to tame them so i’m currently in the process of taming them and with them being a bonded pair it’s harder to do. so i cannot pick him up to make sure he’s not doing any damage around his vent.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Better the perch than your head :roflmao: it's pretty normal though, if I'm correct in assuming horminal love birds aren't too different from hormonal cockatiels.

cinnobee

Meeting neighbors
Better the perch than your head :roflmao: it's pretty normal though, if I'm correct in assuming horminal love birds aren't too different from hormonal cockatiels.
oh boy are you right about the head part lmaoo. and that’s good too know! makes me feel better that it’s normal.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
oh boy are you right about the head part lmaoo. and that’s good too know! makes me feel better that it’s normal.
My male cockatiel had a kitchen hand towel he loooooooved. A lot. It kept him off my foot :roflmao:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
against the perch
What type of perch is it?
Try adding in a sisal boing. My boys loved humping boings and that material is softer than a wooden perch. I have my own handmade cotton boings which I use, but @Emma&pico has a sisal one that looks nice and doesn't pick apart quite the same as those multicoloured cotton ones.

Normal for a lovebird (especially a young one) to be humping stuff. Even if there's a partner there. Maybe they haven't mated yet and the other bird is not ready. But monitor closely to be sure they are not incompatible.

cinnobee

Meeting neighbors
What type of perch is it?
Try adding in a sisal boing. My boys loved humping boings and that material is softer than a wooden perch. I have my own handmade cotton boings which I use, but @Emma&pico has a sisal one that looks nice and doesn't pick apart quite the same as those multicoloured cotton ones.

Normal for a lovebird (especially a young one) to be humping stuff. Even if there's a partner there. Maybe they haven't mated yet and the other bird is not ready. But monitor closely to be sure they are not incompatible.
it’s a dowel perch. i’m actually going to be replacing all dowel with natural. and they seem like they are. i see them regurgitating in the the others mouth from time to time and they tend to snuggle with each other a lot.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I have sisal rope boing it’s a lot better than cotton one and my lovebirds love it

I don’t think you can stop the humping as long as it’s not affecting his eating or making him sore and he’s not overlyobsessive with it

I removed pico cotton knot perch as he was overly obsessive with it he moved on to a cat ball bell I’ve thrown that as he had fed it that much it was disgusting at minute he’s not moved on to anything else but is back to trying to fed me

I agree with @Xoetix at least it’s not your head which if my hairs in a bun pico will hump it even my daughters we have to just have down or ponytails but even apparently my ponytails a turn on sometimes so have to make bobble out

he as a female that would happily take his come ons he’s just not interested in slightest they don’t share a cage much to her annoyance

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

cinnobee

Meeting neighbors
thank you so much! definitely looking into this. i appreciate you and everyone else who has helped me. i was worried a little. i knew a lot about quaker parrots but not so much about lovebirds. i sorta rescued these guys because the previous owners were going to release them if i didn’t take them. so i didn’t know if there was anything i could do or not. but good to know it’s okay. and hopefully getting him that will deter him from the perch i’m just worried about him getting sore.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Aww I'm very glad you took him in! Hate thinking of folks releasing birds, makes me so mad and sad.

hopefully getting him that will deter him from the perch i’m just worried about him getting sore.
My male (yellow guy in my profile pic) used to hump his boing numerous times almost daily, for years. He never got any sores :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
thank you so much! definitely looking into this. i appreciate you and everyone else who has helped me. i was worried a little. i knew a lot about quaker parrots but not so much about lovebirds. i sorta rescued these guys because the previous owners were going to release them if i didn’t take them. so i didn’t know if there was anything i could do or not. but good to know it’s okay. and hopefully getting him that will deter him from the perch i’m just worried about him getting sore.
Thank you for taking them in lovebirds are amazing little birds
Do you have a picture please