• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My lovebird hates me....

reptileguy112

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Drake
I have had this lovebird for over a year and the first month I wrecked our relationship because had to chase her around the room to put it away.I am not doing that anymore (obviously) and I try to bond with her.When I try to bond with it she just gets stressed out and runs away from be and bites.Even when I am just cleaning the cage she bites me.She has a big 2.5' 2.5' 3' cage with a sleeping cave, ladder, lots of toys, and 3 perches.She occasionally lets me hand feed her and there is nothing else social I can do with her.Some people say to hold it and it will slowly start to trust you but I have to grab her to hold her and she wiggles out and glides away.Help would be very appreciated.Thanx!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Here's some things I'd try if you haven't already.
1. Rearrange her cage.
2. Get rid of nestlike things, such as the sleeping cave.
3. Get her a separate cage for sleeping in. (I've heard it helps break some of the cage possessiveness and you get the extra interaction for transferring them from flight to sleep)
4. Don't mess with her cage if she's in it. Obviously she sees it as her domain. Allow her her own space. If you have to, lure her in to her sleep cage with treats so that you can then mess with the cage or just let her have some free time by herself outside of cage if she can be trusted.
5. Teach her to step up from her cage on to a perch, not your hand.
6. Start trick training. You gain a surprising amount of trust when you do this. Even if it's simple stuff like targeting, waving a foot, or doing a little turn around.
7. If you're able to get near her without her fleeing, rub your fingers together before trying to preen her. This was my way of asking my bird if she wanted to be preened. My bird would lower her head/poof it up if she wanted the attention. If she didn't want it, she'd either turn away or to bite my fingers. (But for starters, make the motion and then just barely touch your finger to her chest)

Cahtie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Misty
It doesn't seem like she hates you, she's just scared! All of the advice above is good, just thought I'd add that, if it's feasible, have her cage right next to you while you're watching tv,or on the computer, or in whatever you're doing in you're day to day life. Talk to her, make slow hand gestures when she can see them. I liked to put my hand just lightly on the bars of the cage and leave it there for a bit. At first she'll be scared, but the more often you do it, the more accustomed she'll be to seeing your hand there in a non threatening way. Just keep it there until she's comfortably moving about the cage (.or at least for a while. This could take multiple sessions). Then you can start doing that with your hand in the cage, leaving her alone completely.

Never make a grab for her. Never chase her about the cage. Obviously, emergencies are different, but unless the house is on fire, you need to let her decide to come to you, at her own pace,and always have an unthreatening posture. I put my hand nearby in a step up gesture (my whole hand sideways, fingers extended) and I wait. If mine decide not to step up after ten or so seconds, I withdraw my hand. It's their choice, not mine, and I've had a lot of success with this. Because i can try a few minutes later, and they'll have changed their mind and will step up happily.

Instead of chasing, I tempt. I have a small container of treats and every time they see the container, they know they get something yummy from it as soon as they step up. They come running to get to my hand as soon as they see that treat jar, and let them eat directly from it. Great for getting them to bed at night when they don't want to!

Right now, out of cage time is probably a bad idea. I only say this because, until you've trained her to willingly get on your hand or go back to her cage on her own, you will have to chase her down to put her away, and that's what you want to avoid at all costs! She's a prey animal and you're a bit, scary beast (to her), so you chasing her is really scary and will break all trust, as you've already realized.

I've never had to do perch training and I personally prefer not to unless the bird is so big I can get a nasty bite. You are so much less likely to get bitten if you aren't chasing her around the cage anyway.

reptileguy112

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Drake
My cage isn't really that portable to bring it everywhere.It is 2' 2' 3'.She lets me pick her up and itch her head (sometimes) and at night I have trained her to go on my finger to put her back in cage.I want to get a parrot harness for her so she can go outside with me.Are the ones with just wing loops okay or does it need to have a third loop for the head to?

Cahtie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Misty
Well.. If she's already nervous with you, a harness is going to really terrify her. They take a whole lot of trust from the bird to get them on and off safely. Beyond that, I have no recommendation on what type to get.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree a harness should be something you try once you've gained more of her trust.

Sometimes taking a bird into a room she's not familiar with can help. You'll be the only thing she knows, and may be content being near you as you'll be her comfort and protection. Do you have a den, or small office in your home? Having a small perch stand there and having her near you while you read/watch TV/or get on the PC, might work wonders for her learning to be a little more relaxed and confident.

As said above, her actions have nothing to do with hate or dislike. It's all fear and nervousness. It just takes time. Some birds longer than others. Just keep interacting with her. If she likes any special treats, stuff your pockets with them. Bribery can work wonders! ;)

I'd love to see a photo of her.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

reptileguy112

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Drake
I heard parrots like peppers.Should I try that?Other than her food and millet, she won't eat anything including fruits, veggies, and bird bread

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I heard parrots like peppers.Should I try that?Other than her food and millet, she won't eat anything including fruits, veggies, and bird bread
Try peppers thai peppers, try corn and try peas. Favorites are broken pieces of nuts and sunflower seeds (hulled).
Try anything, you may be surprised what works. Dont hand it to her- place it in her cage and see what she goes after....

Set the cage up next to your computer or reading chair, etc. Open the door and leave your arm in the cage with the treats. Dont MOVE! at least 1 hours a day (or 2x 15 minutes sessions)- preferably before dinner or breakfast when she is hungry. (I read my kindle in a quiet chair). She is hungry, and you have her favorite..... she will end up taking it. Make sure you dont make eye contact with her- just let her 'be' and you are 'present'

After she gets comfortable taking things out of your hand (about 1 week of this). Start moving your hand. Gently moving things around inside her cage.

Make your arm the 'safety branch' in a constantly changing environment.

I had a really fearful lovebird, and the best thing i could do was change her environment every other day.... providing her with my hand full of 'yum yum treats' as her constant.
(a new toy, change the toy, etc- but do it in slow motion.... no fast movemets)
I also let her watch me eat.... and then i would take bird friendly foods off my plate, and put them very slowly.... into her dish through the cage doors. A peace offering.

She ended up coming around... took about 2 weeks constant, and two more weeks on and off and she turned into a gem.

reptileguy112

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Drake
I can't just hand feed her?I have tried to eat next to her before but she wouldn't eat anything on the plate until I left(crushed walnuts).I am starting to target train her because I heard that training birds is an excellent way to build trust and bond.I do read a lot and that is usually at night.She is in my room so I read next to her.She will bite the stick but I have to put it next to her beak, she won't follow it.Am I doing it wrong?

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
I have had this lovebird for over a year and the first month I wrecked our relationship because had to chase her around the room to put it away.I am not doing that anymore (obviously) and I try to bond with her.When I try to bond with it she just gets stressed out and runs away from be and bites.Even when I am just cleaning the cage she bites me.She has a big 2.5' 2.5' 3' cage with a sleeping cave, ladder, lots of toys, and 3 perches.She occasionally lets me hand feed her and there is nothing else social I can do with her.Some people say to hold it and it will slowly start to trust you but I have to grab her to hold her and she wiggles out and glides away.Help would be very appreciated.Thanx!
Grabbing is the biggest nono there is. It is ALL about letting the bird coming to you based on viewing you as a non threat and a potential source of fun and socializing. Is the room bird safe? If i was you, I would let her out and explore naturally and let her come to you.

Stick training is a good place to start. It can take a while for them to understand that a treat comes from beaking the stick though.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I can't just hand feed her?I have tried to eat next to her before but she wouldn't eat anything on the plate until I left(crushed walnuts).I am starting to target train her because I heard that training birds is an excellent way to build trust and bond.I do read a lot and that is usually at night.She is in my room so I read next to her.She will bite the stick but I have to put it next to her beak, she won't follow it.Am I doing it wrong?
Hand feeding is great... but dont 'give' her food. 'Offer' her food.
Sounds like you need to build trust first. Trust is not about tricks, or pets... it is about her feeling safe and WANTING to come to you.
That takes time and patience, just once forfecul move (like sticking a branch in her face) will ruin that IMO.

Training does build trust- but fear can overturn trust.

Seems to me you are still working on taming, rather than training. I could be reading it wrong tho.... only you know. You as a mom know best as long as you have the right resources and information. :)