• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My lovebird has pbfd

Jocelin

Moving in
Real Name
Jocelin
Hi everyone, I have a question, so about 3 weeks ago I bought a lovebird and noticed some abnormalities in the feathers and activity level so I took her to the vet and got her tested for pbfd and tested positive. The vet told me there is no cure but there has been some birds that have lived a long time with it. My question is does anyone know besides introducing a healthy diet and immune system boosters what I can do or give him/her to help live as long as possible ?
This is chiki
IMG_4567.png
IMG_4565.png IMG_4566.png

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh gosh, I am so sorry you're having to go through this! I'll tag a few people who can probably help

@Pixiebeak @Shezbug @Mizzely

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's beautiful I'm so sorry that she's been diagnosed with this. Let me tag @bubblelady she had a Lovie with this.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Did the vet mention she was under weight?

Young birds with this often have secondary bacterial infections as their immune system is overwhelmed and not fully developed. To me she looks like she feels unwell. Did vet feel she had a secondary infection? If not you might ask if this is a possibility and treatment with antibiotic might make her feel better. While it wont treat PBFD , they are often prone to other infection.

Unfortunately animals with dilute colors are often linked genetically with lower or deficient immune systems.

Supportive supplemental warmth is always helpful to ill birds. I like the sweeter heater a radiant heat panel but you can get one made fir little baby chickens sold at farm and feed stores cheaper. Make sure to place off to one side with a perch by it , but so she can also move away and enjoy the rest of cage without if she doesn't want at the time.

I think offering her supplemental baby bird formula made a little thicker like Greek yogurt thickness, offer in a dish or from finger. Once a day would be supportive. Goes bad quickly so remove after 20 mins it so and don't make it up ahead and store in fridge. Inky a little fresh when you offer. It's easy to digest and will help keep weight on her. It's not a must , but definitely something I would do.

If you can have her eating healthy that also support the body , sprouts, warm cooked sweet potato, bell pepper leafy greens s d other veggies.

I'm really sorry for both of you. What a heart breaker. I'm so glad you took her to the veterinarian and are providing the best care and love for her.

sb sigmund

Strolling the yard
She is a beautiful angel and I hope she gets through this!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Not much I can help with I am afraid.

Have you alerted the store or breeder who you got this bird from that you have a positive PBFD diagnosis?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Definitely tell the store! (The manager not the clerk). And be sure the vet knows where your bird came from.

I've seen positive PBFD tests be overturned by future negative tests. Try not to worry too soon.
While this is true, it is best to proceed with caution and follow strict handwashing protocol between handling your bird and leaving the house. Especially trips to places where other birds are. Disinfect your home frequently.
No other birds can enter your home.

Jocelin

Moving in
Real Name
Jocelin
Did the vet mention she was under weight?

Young birds with this often have secondary bacterial infections as their immune system is overwhelmed and not fully developed. To me she looks like she feels unwell. Did vet feel she had a secondary infection? If not you might ask if this is a possibility and treatment with antibiotic might make her feel better. While it wont treat PBFD , they are often prone to other infection.

The vet did weigh her but he didn’t say anything about her weight, she does feel skinny though. It was a very quick visit I think they are very booked and understaffed so he was rushed. I also don’t think he specializes in bird care. I do think I will be taking her again because I don’t think her droppings are normal, she has been doing pastel yellow almost white solid poops

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Can you share a poop pic? This can be from not digesting food properly, pancreas..
Pancreatitis..I'm not as familiar with this symptom in birds .

How old is your bird? What is it currently eating?

If you can find an avian veterinarian specialty this would be best . If you share your country or general location, many members are good at finding resources. Or if you can find a school of veterinarian medicine..

I'm not the best with PBFD either, but some birds test positive but it is not the PBFD that is making them sick , and they can seroconvert , test negative later . It's possible this isn't the primary thing making your birds sick. Systemic infection can make the feathers look patchy like around eyes. I'm not sure in your pictures what other feathers look abnormal.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I am so extremely sorry you need to deal with such a scary disease.
I really hope things go okay.:sadhug2:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Ok tried to do some digging, is your bird eating,? If not eating and no fecal matter the poops can look white from just urates and urine. Such would be very serious. Need urgent veterinarian care.
If the fecal matter is white , pale still urgent.
With PBFD getting a secondary infection because of knocked down immune system is very common.
I'm very worried about your baby. This is get her into the veterinarian tomorrow ( Friday) before the weekend situation I think

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am so sorry must be so stressful

Jocelin

Moving in
Real Name
Jocelin
Can you share a poop pic? This can be from not digesting food properly, pancreas..
Pancreatitis..I'm not as familiar with this symptom in birds .

How old is your bird? What is it currently eating?

I do not know her exact age, I think she was around 2 months when I got her and ive had her since November 11th. When I got her she was eating seeds and I've slowly introduced fresh food, she eats sprouts, broccoli, carrots, steamed brown rice…

Jocelin

Moving in
Real Name
Jocelin
IMG_4621.jpeg
Her poops mostly look like this, sometimes they doo look normal and other times they are watery

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Glad you have introduced more foods to her.
I'm sorry she is so young and sick ..
This poop I'm not seeing any urates other than a little stringy stuff...
But good amount of fecal matter so is eating.
How is she doing?

Jocelin

Moving in
Real Name
Jocelin
Glad you have introduced more foods to her.
I'm sorry she is so young and sick ..
This poop I'm not seeing any urates other than a little stringy stuff...
But good amount of fecal matter so is eating.
How is she doing?
She is more active than before, her appetite is good but she is loosing more feathers on her head. And the feathers under her wings are thin kind of like pin feathers.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm sorry about PBFD. But I'm happy she is eating better and more active. It's a good idea to get a digital kitchen scale, and start logging her weights, weekly minimum, in morning afte first poop.
I still worry about a secondary infection, and with the urates like that.