• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My house smells like birds! HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Okay, one macaw in my house the last 5 months was fine. 2, let's cut to the chase. My house smells. I can deal with it at work but MY HOUSE SMELLS! What on earth can I use to make it smell better? Don't tell me to open windows they are all open, not good enough. I also want to clean the carpets next week, what can I use in the carpet cleaner? Please help, suffocating over here!!! :rofl:

Need some magic unharmful smell good stuff. Should I have my husband buy me flowers everyday? :D

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only time I've had a problem with my birds smelling is when I've had too many old papers and food in the garbage. It's especially bad when it's warmer out and it sits around for a while. Maybe that's it?? Otherwise my birds have always been the least smelly of all my pets lol

As far as good scents go, get some 100% essential oils and you'll be smelling good in no time :) Get lavender or other herbs, citrus, mint, etc. Mix with distilled water and/or alcohol in a spray bottle and mist your room!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:huh: Ahhh yah. No smelly garbage, VERY clean cages. Unless one pooped in the last five minutes, no poop in the house at all. They don't smell when you smell them but my house smells like my birdroom at work. :( Like birds.....

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Maybe everybirdy needs a good soaking. I have a steamer I use on my floors that seems to clean the air. Also if you have alot of rope perches, etc they could have some wet/odor thing going on. Could you take them outside & use a steamer or mist them w/vinegar water solution.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Carpets are dirt and bacteria factories. Getting rid of them will help.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Can you describe the smell? I have several birds and my house does not smell at all. People usually comment on how "nice" my house smells.

Sarah, what type of smell is it?

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I had this happen, I thought the poop and the ink in the papers caused it, but I'd put down fresh paper and I'd still have the smell. I hauled the cages outside, scrubbed them down with steaming hot water, cleaned all the rope perches and toys, smell was gone. The only thing I can think is the rope perches were doing it. I never did figure it out.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Personally I find bird smell the fragrance of the Gods, that is, until it gets really ripe! I try opening the windows and when that doesn't do it for me I use a natural citrus spray without the propellant. I spray just a little in the other end of the house and not right near the birds. Peppermint oil in very small amounts mixed with very warm water in a small sprayer used the same way is very nice. A bowl full of orange peels and cinnamon sticks put into a pot of water and brought to a boil (with all birds in their cages) works wonders.
If this doesn't work, flowers, flowers, flowers!

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I use an Austin air cleaner, citrus magic and when I vacuum I sprinkle a combination of baking soda, cinnamon and some other spices.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Back when I had carpeting (and John is right about carpeting - I hate it), I shampooed with hot water and white vinegar. Gets the carpet remarkably clean, and it's animal safe.

I've never been able to figure out which essential oils are safe and which ones aren't. I have a very small crock pot in which I simmer citrus peels (always have a lot of those!) and a variety of spices.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Very strange....even when we had multiple birds, there's never been any type of offensive smell. But we don't have carpets, so perhaps the smell you refer to is coming from carpets?
At any rate, simmer some cinnamon sticks, cloves, fennel and orange slices.
Sorry, no idea how to clean carpets, I would think hot water & vinegar would do a good job.
And yes, your husband needs to bring fresh flowers every day:)

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Broccoli is great for our birds but for some reason a little bit left in the cages or as it is processed and comes out the other end can smell really bad. Also, what about your sink line/garbage disposal? You can get some really bad smells there. Put orange peels down the drain. If you live in an older home you may have a mold issue. Also, is there any wet or moldy cage papers or corn cob bedding? This stuff works good but it can grow mold.
By the way, does anyone know the best way to clean rope perches??

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Broccoli is great for our birds but for some reason a little bit left in the cages or as it is processed and comes out the other end can smell really bad. Also, what about your sink line/garbage disposal? You can get some really bad smells there. Put orange peels down the drain. If you live in an older home you may have a mold issue. Also, is there any wet or moldy cage papers or corn cob bedding? This stuff works good but it can grow mold.
By the way, does anyone know the best way to clean rope perches??

You made a good point about the broccoli, it smells so strong to me and could possibly cause smell when it comes out the other end.;)

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I agree--get rid of carpets! They're like petrie dishes. Hardwood floors are great! Wash them w/Murphey's oil soap--the essence of clean! Until you can clean your carpet, try adding 4-5 drops essential oil of rosemary or thyme to ~2 cups baking soda. Keep for at least 24 hours in a covered container, shaking occasionally to distribute oil evenly.Sprinkle on carpet at bedtime, & leave overnight; vacuum thoroughly in the morning (I use the micro-pored vacuum bags.) You might want to check w/your avian vet if your bird sleeps in the room being treated. Oh--& if you get ants, replace 1/2 the baking soda w/kosher salt--works great!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I found it!!!! One of the silly's must have thrown half a brussel sprout out of the cage and it rolled under the closet door. OMG, I thought I would die today. I've cleaned everything, the cages the ropes the perches. I so sick of trying to find smelly things, I have smelled half the house! Both birds had bathes.... it was terrible. So glad I found it!!!! Everyone is commenting on my carpet but my whole house is hardwood. The only two rooms in the house that have carpet are my bedroom which is birdless and my living room which is birdless unless we are watching TV (then we cover the couch) Oh, thank you thank you, had I not found it I would have used everyone's ideas.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We only mentioned carpets because you did in your very first post. It sounded like they might even have been in the bird room.

No harm done. Glad you found the stinky culprit.

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
The only time my birds smell is when they are in breeding mood or they have dirty cages/areas. And of coarse Tico, when he's happy. :p

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Only our Picaso smells like a wet dog after a shower. I have no clue why, when he came to us as a baby he had an odd smell, like almost a urine type smell. Yuck, I have no clue why but I think it had something to do with the breeder having dogs. :eek: I have had him for over a year, and over a 100 showers later, he still kind of stinks when he is wet! lol. Poor Picaso. Luckily I shower him upstairs so only I smell that!

For a nice smell, I like to boil cinnamon sticks and citrus peels (orange, lemon, lime) in a few cups of water, just simmer it on the lowest setting. Obviously don't use a non stick pan! I have a stainless steel one. That makes everything smell wonderful!

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I found it!!!! One of the silly's must have thrown half a brussel sprout out of the cage and it rolled under the closet door. OMG, I thought I would die today. I've cleaned everything, the cages the ropes the perches. I so sick of trying to find smelly things, I have smelled half the house! Both birds had bathes.... it was terrible. So glad I found it!!!! Everyone is commenting on my carpet but my whole house is hardwood. The only two rooms in the house that have carpet are my bedroom which is birdless and my living room which is birdless unless we are watching TV (then we cover the couch) Oh, thank you thank you, had I not found it I would have used everyone's ideas.
You gotta love that nutritious sulfurous odored slimy textured garbage! :hehe:
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.