• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My GCC stopped bathing?

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Waffle has only been home a couple weeks. S/he was learning to bathe when we brought Waffle home, and established a great daily routine - eat breakfast, watch morning news (not kidding!), take bath in water dish, relax & fluff & sometimes fall asleep.
Now suddenly Waffle doesn't bother with the morning bath. WTH? The only thing I can think of is that I was a work conference for a couple days which obviously disrupted Waffle's routine. But even now that we've gotten back to normal, the baths are not happening. Waffle is also clearly napping a lot less.
I will be picking up a spray bottle this evening, and I have a shower perch I want to work toward. I don't like Waffle getting in the kitchen sink because there are just too many bird hazards in the kitchen. Do you think Waffle will go back to bowl bathing, or is s/he just done with it now?

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sometimes my green cheek took 3 baths a day. Then she'd go a few weeks without a bath! I wouldn't be too worried; most birds know when they need one :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My fids don’t bath for a week sometimes, and the next week they bath every morning:)

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
OMG. I read that your GCC had stopped breathing.
So he/she is a little stinky at least he/she is alive. :hehe:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
OMG. I read that your GCC had stopped breathing.
So he/she is a little stinky at least he/she is alive. :hehe:
I read that first too:rofl:

Aviana

Strolling the yard
My new GCC fid is erratic with bathing, too. So far the nice dishes of water do not compare well to his drinking dish. Since I was told by his foster family that he got an infection from bathing in his water dish with left-over dunked food, I am changing his water several times a day. My lovie used to bathe every couple of days, but she was very ritualistic. She had to be at the sink, with my hands as her pedestal/tub. I think when Waffles gets back in the swing of things it will be fine.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Hope the check up goes well!

Aviana

Strolling the yard
GCC bath update: first real bath since he came home. I was at the sink and he flew over to me. From past birdie experience I thought it could be interest in a bath and got out a glass pie plate. He likes shallow better, it turns out. That was one drenched bird after about a minute and a half.

How was the vet visit?

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yeah, Waffle still has no interest in baths, but the vet said it’s normal for them to go through these phases. Everything was clean so it wasn’t a concern.
Overall the checkup went well, but Waffle had a little bacterial overgrowth in the tummy. Apparently I’ve been overdoing it on the fruit. :ashamed1: We got some recommended pellets & a probiotic sample to get things back on track.