1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My GCC stopped bathing?

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by d_msparkles, 6/8/18.

1. d_msparkles

d_msparkles Sprinting down the street

Waffle has only been home a couple weeks. S/he was learning to bathe when we brought Waffle home, and established a great daily routine - eat breakfast, watch morning news (not kidding!), take bath in water dish, relax & fluff & sometimes fall asleep.
    Now suddenly Waffle doesn't bother with the morning bath. WTH? The only thing I can think of is that I was a work conference for a couple days which obviously disrupted Waffle's routine. But even now that we've gotten back to normal, the baths are not happening. Waffle is also clearly napping a lot less.
    I will be picking up a spray bottle this evening, and I have a shower perch I want to work toward. I don't like Waffle getting in the kitchen sink because there are just too many bird hazards in the kitchen. Do you think Waffle will go back to bowl bathing, or is s/he just done with it now?

Last edited: 6/8/18
  2. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    Sometimes my green cheek took 3 baths a day. Then she'd go a few weeks without a bath! I wouldn't be too worried; most birds know when they need one :)

TikiMyn and d_msparkles like this.
  3. d_msparkles

LOL, that's good to know. We have our first checkup tomorrow morning so I'm slightly embarrassed. Waffle is not stinky, though. :D

Tiel Feathers, TikiMyn and Mizzely like this.
  4. TikiMyn

TikiMyn Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Robin
    My fids don’t bath for a week sometimes, and the next week they bath every morning:)

d_msparkles and WendyN like this.
  5. Chopper

Chopper Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Mary lynn Snowman
    OMG. I read that your GCC had stopped breathing.
    So he/she is a little stinky at least he/she is alive. :hehe:

Tiel Feathers and TikiMyn like this.
  6. TikiMyn

TikiMyn Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Robin
    I read that first too:rofl:

Chopper likes this.
  7. d_msparkles

Oh no!!! Good point! :omg:

TikiMyn likes this.
  8. Aviana

Aviana Strolling the yard

My new GCC fid is erratic with bathing, too. So far the nice dishes of water do not compare well to his drinking dish. Since I was told by his foster family that he got an infection from bathing in his water dish with left-over dunked food, I am changing his water several times a day. My lovie used to bathe every couple of days, but she was very ritualistic. She had to be at the sink, with my hands as her pedestal/tub. I think when Waffles gets back in the swing of things it will be fine.

d_msparkles likes this.
  9. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    Hope the check up goes well!

10. Aviana

Aviana Strolling the yard

GCC bath update: first real bath since he came home. I was at the sink and he flew over to me. From past birdie experience I thought it could be interest in a bath and got out a glass pie plate. He likes shallow better, it turns out. That was one drenched bird after about a minute and a half.

How was the vet visit?

d_msparkles likes this.
  11. d_msparkles

Yeah, Waffle still has no interest in baths, but the vet said it’s normal for them to go through these phases. Everything was clean so it wasn’t a concern.
    Overall the checkup went well, but Waffle had a little bacterial overgrowth in the tummy. Apparently I’ve been overdoing it on the fruit. :ashamed1: We got some recommended pellets & a probiotic sample to get things back on track.

Tiel Feathers and Aviana like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)