• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My first post & my first aracari

Cynthia

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello to all! I got my first aracari, Juliet, on Saturday. She is an ivory-billed, 9 months old and truly delightful. This is the first forum I have ever joined so aracaris and forums are completely new to me. I got her from Jerry Jennings who has been a wealth of knowledge and very patient with all my questions. And now I need to become a part of the aracari community. Right now my questions center around household cleaning. I use Odoban and Nature's Miracle on everything including moping my hardwood floors. I have been in dog rescue for 10 years and these products are indispensable to me. I read several threads here on them and see that others use them, too. Is it OK to use Nature's Miracle rug shampoo, too? The only rug in the house is in the living room where Juliet's cage is. My other question is about her poop. She eats blueberries - my dogs love blueberries - several of my dogs are poop-eaters. See where I'm going? Does anyone know if aracari poop is toxic to dogs? (Never thought I would be asking this question...) Hopefully, someone in the aracari universe has the answer. I look forward to chatting with you all!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I am not sure about your question but there is a yahoo group just for toucan owners. They might be able to help you if no one here can. Also, did you ask Jerry about the poop question? He is an amazing source of information.

Matt

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I bought a new carpet cleaner a short while back. I have cream colored carpeting. . . . . and two grandsons . . . . and we haven't cleaned the carpet in a while because we were going to do hardwood. Life intervened and we put that on hold.

Oddly - I have been cleaning the carpet WITHOUT shampoo since I got this new cleaner. I'm amazed at what it pulled out. Just using very hot water out of the faucet in the kitchen. I'm not entirely sure that soap isn't the culprit by "sticking" to the dirt and carpet fibers. I did spray vinegar (cheap little spray bottle from a dollar store) on some of the tracking paths the first time I ran the cleaner. Used vinegar on just one or two small spots the last time.

Can't vouch for what would happen with a blueberry though! Let's hope the boys don't find out about blueberries at our house . . . . .

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
AND just fyi . . . . my hubby really, really likes these little aracaris! He saw one here at our bird fair and loved the way he jumped around.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Welcome to AA and to Aracaris. I have a male green, Pico.I don't see anything possibly toxic in aracaris poop to a dog. I am not familiar with the cleaning products you mentioned. I have my carpets cleaned by stanley steamer. If it were up to me I wouldn't have carpet in here. For now I cover what I need to with newspaper. I am looking into getting some desk mats for around the cages. I use F-10 on my cages to clean, or white vinegar. You might want to consider a small steamer. Wagner makes a nice small one that is useful all over the house. We have some recent threads about it. Any other questions do not hesitate to ask. And... for this useful information we require photos of your new friend. :D

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:welave: :welcome:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to you and Juliet! Her name is great! ;)