• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My first bird DIY snuggle ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBS

Jogging around the block
I made this for my new lovebird's breeder. She hadn't heard of them and she wanted one for her little birds.

It was fast and easy to make with a rotary cutter and a slotted guide rule for even cuts. I washed it to make sure it would survive the washer and it came out like new.

I'll have to make some for our birds. They're all boys with the exception of my new lovie. I don't know the sex yet, but I'll probably do a DNA test soon.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
very nice what did you use for the ring i love the colour to
your breeder will be pleased im sure

MBS

Jogging around the block
I used welded craft rings from Joann's. They're made by Darice. I think they're usually used for macrame. They're brass colored, but they're not real brass. I tested them for a zinc coating by putting the ring in muriatic acid, and it didn't have any. A couple of links that I had fizzed up like alka seltzer in the acid, and they became very dull.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I love it! Nice job! :laughing12:

Robin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
That is an excellent Job !!!!!! I love it.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow you did a beautiful job!

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Wow!! Awesome! I love it!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
wow that's very pretty!! Great job!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
ohhh so soft and pretty!!:cheer:

Lex123

It looks great!! I have KeeWee a Snuggle Ring that I bought from Angie's store, but he would love another one!!!

Do you mind telling me how much it cost to make?

MBS

Jogging around the block
Thanks everybody. I enjoyed making the snuggle ring since it was so easy with a rotary cutter and my slotted ruler made for cutting fleece strips easily. My lovie's breeder really liked it. She wants some more.

It looks great!! I have KeeWee a Snuggle Ring that I bought from Angie's store, but he would love another one!!!

Do you mind telling me how much it cost to make?

The welded craft ring was around $1.50. The fabric was bought a long time ago so I have no idea how much it cost. I used around a 24"x 36" inch piece of fleece. A yard of fleece should be enough for two 6" rings with some extra because fleece is usualy 60" from selvage to selvage. I packed the fabric on as tight as I could get it. The amount of fabric will also depend on how thick the fleece is.

I cut the 5" fleece strips parallel to the grain (the selvage). This way the fleece doesn't stretch much if at all when you tie on the strips. If you cut the fabric the other way (perpendicular to the grain), then your strips will get stretched out when you tie on the strips. It doesn't look as nice IMO. I also staggered the strips so they would stick out all over the place instead of in one direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.