• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Eclectus is Freaking Out!!

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
I have tried everything I know to figure out what is going on and have been trying to resolve it. I have a female Eclectus that I have had for about a year and half. She was a rescue from a drug dealer that was busted and had been neglected and ignored during her time with them. She has not been tamed although we have made serious efforts to do so. Here is what is currently going on. She has started to swing a toy in her cage which I was happy to see because she has never paid any attention to any of her toys, but a few days after that she started to go to the bottom of her cage (something she has done on only two occasions before that I know of) and tears up the newspaper. Then she pecks loudly on the bottom of the cage and makes loud noises. She also is talking much more than usual. She now stays at the bottom of the cage most of the time and is very aggressive toward anyone who is putting food or anything else into her cage. She also repeatedly scratches the bottom of her cage and squakes. I haven't taken her to the bird vet yet but certainly will if I get advice here to do so. Could it be something hormonal? She has never exhibited behavior like this before.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It could absolutely be hormonal, it sounds like she's trying to make a suitable nest. How is she otherwise? Eating and poops look normal for her?

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
She is eating and pooping just fine. Any suggestions about how to make her less stressed or be of help to her until I can get her 'vet checked'? Her cage is so large that I can't really move it into another room where she is away from people and other pets. Our little dogs already give her and her cage a wide birth! I have a playpen in another room that I was getting ready to introduce her to but have been reluctant to do that because I don't want to add more stress to her life by making a major change like that.

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
BTW, I am so grateful to have a site like this. I have many questions regarding the care and taming of this wonderful pet. I have just now become able to start working with her. I had to have major spine surgery and until have not been physically able to work with her other than sitting on the outside of her cage and quietly talking to her.

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
:sadhug2:I' m glad she has someone to take care of her now. Best of luck with everything I unfortunately have no advice so just hugs!!:hug8:BUMP!!

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Sounds hormonal to me. Mine did that in the spring and laid eggs with nothing to nest in.

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
Thank you so much! I have put a bunch of newspaper into her cage and she is going to town trying to make a nest. I was told by a neighbor of the people who originally had her that she had already killed to males that they had try to pair her with, so that isn't an option! lol

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Sounds like she is just is getting possessive of her cage and nest. My lovebird does this too. Just today she was banging on the bottom of her cage and carrying paper around for nesting.

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
Thank you for your reply. She has never exhibited this kind of behavior since I have had her (year and a half) so I really wondered what was up. I wonder how long this goes on? I plan to take her to the vet ASAP for some kind evaluation and Rx.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If it's just hormonal, how long does it last for?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Becoming territorial and guarding nest spaces is something that owners of female eclectus battle. I heard of one case so extreme that they had to get a new couch so she wouldn't claim it any more! Honestly I would be doing my best to discourage this behavior. Restrict access to nesting materials, regulate her day/night times, and potentially rearrange her cage to try and discourage nesty behavior.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
At least a couple of weeks.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
Yep nesting behaviour. She will lay eggs and don't remove them. She will incubate them for several weeks. Once you see her leaving the eggs and no longer sitting on the, you can then remove them. Which could be about 30 days. Then remove all source of paper and nest items otherwise the cycle can start all over again.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Yep nesting behaviour. She will lay eggs and don't remove them. She will incubate them for several weeks. Once you see her leaving the eggs and no longer sitting on the, you can then remove them. Which could be about 30 days. Then remove all source of paper and nest items otherwise the cycle can start all over again.
Exactly.

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
So a visit to the vet for some kind of hormonal Rx wouldn't help at this point. This is all new to me!

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
So a visit to the vet for some kind of hormonal Rx wouldn't help at this point. This is all new to me!
If she hasn't seen a vet recently and had chems and a CBC done then that's still a good idea. If the hormones become a problem some vets will treat with injections or an implant, but that's only in extreme situations.

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
It has been some time since I had her checked out by a vet. Fortunately, we have a 'bird vet' in town, I will call and make an appointment tomorrow. Thanks so much!

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
I am keeping vigil over her cage hoping to see eggs and the hope that her setting on them will cease this bizarre behavior. We have found she has an extensive vocabulary and more kinds of whistles than you can shake-a-stick at! She has stopped most of the bottom of the cage pawing. She still pecks loudly on the bottom of the cage and I worry she could hurt herself. Can't get an appointment with the vet before the first week in December. Hoping this behavior tapers off. I started covering her cage at night and she seems to be quieter and calmer (?) Love hearing the phrases and words we have discovered she knows, but would exchange a quieter bird for a bird I'm afraid might hurt herself.

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
Thank you for this information. I will do just as you suggest. She has not started laying eggs yet but I'm watching.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hopefully the vet can give some advice. Ask him if she does lay if it's better to replace the eggs with dummies and what size to get. I would worry that if the eggs sit for too long, they will spoil. Also, watch her closely if she lays, to make sure everything goes well. I know they can get egg bound or an egg peritonitis if one bursts inside, which is very bad. When my little conure laid for the first time (at the age of 13), I freaked out! I was going on a trip the next day and was worried she still had eggs in her and something would go wrong while I was away. I had a bird sitter but I didnt want to take a chance. So, I had the vet evaluate her. I cant remember if he did an xray or not, but we determined that there were no more eggs. Someone on this forum said the egg laying stresses the owners out more than the bird, and I think they are right!

I am so glad you gave this little bird a new life with you! It sounds like she came from a rotten home, especially if they let her kill two males. Please update us on how she does and what the vet advices. She's very lucky to have you.