• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My Conure's Stool has a Bad Odor!

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
Ok so I would really not like to hear "take him to a vet immediately" from anyone because this is information I already know! I have an appointment scheduled for this Wednesday morning. But in the meantime I would like to get any other information I can get my hands on because I am worried sick! My Nanday Conure had an intestinal bacteria infection back in December when he was only 8 months old. My vet prescribed bene bac and a hand feeding formula as well as an enzyme solution for dehydration since he hadn't been able to keep his food down. He recovered in about two months after taking him back to the vet for a second visit, and gained back all the weight he had lost slowly in about 4 months. He's been doing great since then. However, yesterday morning I noticed that his stools were a slightly lighter green than usual and they had little to no urine at all. His diet has not changed (although he did have a taste of some bread the previous day which he has not eaten in months) he drinks enough, and I am always keeping extra close attention to his stools because he has a weak immune system and seems very fragile. After I saw that his stools looked odd, I also noticed that they smelled really foul. I know bird feces are not supposed to smell bad in any way, unless of course they had ate something that would cause that (which he has not). He's eating and drinking well and is actually more active than usual, but I know that he hides his sickness the best out of all of my feathered babies. Does anyone know what could have caused this foul smell in his stool? Could it be that the bacteria infection he had did not actually completely go away? I'm hoping my vet will prescribe a stronger antibiotic for him this time. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Foul smelling feces are usually due to bacterial infections or giardia. Giardia is very hard to test for -- vets usually just go ahead and treat for it if no other explanation can be found for the odor. Good luck.
:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8: :hug8:

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If he does want to prescribe another antibiotic, it would be a good idea to get a culture since your little guy has already had an infection. That way he can send you home with antibiotics but can switch if needed. It's not necessarily that a stronger med is needed, it may just be that the course was too short or it wasn't the most effective one (got some but not all).

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I agree with Milo. I am having a similar situation with Chya. Just switched her to a different med for a longer length of time.

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
If he does want to prescribe another antibiotic, it would be a good idea to get a culture since your little guy has already had an infection. That way he can send you home with antibiotics but can switch if needed. It's not necessarily that a stronger med is needed, it may just be that the course was too short or it wasn't the most effective one (got some but not all).
Yeah I'm planning on getting a culture test done. Thanks for the info!

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
I agree with Milo. I am having a similar situation with Chya. Just switched her to a different med for a longer length of time.
I'm sorry to hear that. What symptoms is Chya having? What med are you using?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'm sorry to hear that. What symptoms is Chya having? What med are you using?
She was on clavmox, now sulfatrim and she also had agy cells so she is on nystatin and potassium benzoate in her drinking water. i have always had trouble with her when its nest time. She also got a depo shot to help with her hormones. I honestly do not think she will have as long a life span as my others given her immune problems. hoping your wee one feels better quickly.

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
Wuote="Just Birds, post: 1948915, member: 11900"]I'm sorry to hear that. What symptoms is Chya having? What med are you using?
She was on clavmox, now sulfatrim and she also had agy cells so she is on nystatin and potassium benzoate in her drinking water. i have always had trouble with her when its nest time. She also got a depo shot to help with her hormones. I honestly do not think she will have as long a life span as my others given her immune problems. hoping your wee one feels better quickly.[/quote]

Thank you. And I'm very sorry. I also constantly worry that my Nanday won't live as long as my other babies.

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
Edit on my Nanday: his stool is not emitting a foul smell today, and he is urinating. But he randomly screamed very loud and multiple times today (there was nothing around him that caused it). I read that this is a symptom of gardia...has this happened to anyone's bird before or am I just paranoid?

Last edited:

birdle

Edit on my Nanday: his stool is not emitting a foul smell today, and he is urinating. But he randomly screamed very loud and multiple times today (there was nothing around him that caused it). I read that this is a symptom of gardia...has this happened to anyone's bird before or am I just paranoid?
I dont know anything about giardia but in my experience aratinga conures like your nanday sometimes just scream loudly, and somwhat "randomly" there is always a reason, even if it's "dumb" (like screaming just because he likes the sound of his voice.)

Try not to stress, instead of letting yourself get worked up maybe it'd be helpful for the vet if you recorded all symptoms and stuff.. just to keep your mind off it :)

I hope all is well.

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
I dont know anything about giardia but in my experience aratinga conures like your nanday sometimes just scream loudly, and somwhat "randomly" there is always a reason, even if it's "dumb" (like screaming just because he likes the sound of his voice.)

Try not to stress, instead of letting yourself get worked up maybe it'd be helpful for the vet if you recorded all symptoms and stuff.. just to keep your mind off it :)

I hope all is well.
Really? I didn't know that! He's just been acting a bit strange lately. And I definitely will record all symptoms. Thank you for your input!

birdle

of course! How old is your nanday?

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
My Nanday is 11 months old now. He still acts like such a big baby! :heart: I'll be bringing him to the vet tomorrow morning.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I would like to second Milo's recommendation for having a culture done and adding a sensitivity test as that will tell the Dr. which medication the bacteria/fungus/yeast is most sensitive to.

You also may want to ask him about a product called DMG. DMG: A Nutrient for the New Millennium I had had very good success with it for my female GW who has a number of chronic health issues.

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
I would like to second Milo's recommendation for having a culture done and adding a sensitivity test as that will tell the Dr. which medication the bacteria/fungus/yeast is most sensitive to.

You also may want to ask him about a product called DMG. DMG: A Nutrient for the New Millennium I had had very good success with it for my female GW who has a number of chronic health issues.
I certainly will! Thank you very much for your suggestions and the link!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Usually yeast. Sending good wishes to your bird. :hug8: Let us know how it goes at the vet's.

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
Bad news, had to reschedule his appointment to Friday! Couldn't get him to his regular vet (which is an hour away) and my other avian vet does not do emergency hours, and is only there two days a week.

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
Sorry everyone, it was a false alarm! The vet found nothing wrong with him.:dance5: