• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My conure prefers men over women

polaryse

Moving in
I recently got a 4 year old green cheek conure. His past owners were women and I'm not sure if he was ever around men. That's why I'm a bit suspicious he had a bad experience or something. My brother and dad can hold him and pet them all they want, and he won't even give them a nibble. Then, when me or my mom (who is obsessed with him) try to have him step up, he steps up but immediately bites. I have had multiple broken-skin bites and now I can only transport him using a ladder. It really sucks because I'm his caregiver and trainer, and I can't even handle him. Please help.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Give him more time. Don't rush it or you will potentially hurt the relationship more. If he will step up onto a stick, that can be helpful to avoid bites. Otherwise, does he have to step up? The more you can avoid the bites the better; not just because they hurt, but because they are often self rewarding for the bird. Try just giving him treats and talking with him and show him you respect his space :)

My Jardine's also prefers men, and I'm chopped liver around some people! It can definitely be disheartening. But your bird is still new to you, so he likely just needs time :)

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I first brought my Cherry-headed conure home, I knew I was not his person at all. He was (and still is) a bit of a nervous boy. He won't step up onto my hand, but he will step up onto a looped rope perch (I hold both ends in my hand). I've been working on training him to be ok with being touched on his head and feet. It's slow going. It takes lots of treats. We are making progress!

I know that not being the chosen one is disappointing. But you can and will have a relationship with your lovely new feathered friend. Patience, move slowly, progress will come!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign: