• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My cocktiel chick is dying

Katiebarnowl

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
Hello everyone,
We took him to the vet and she was very good with him,
The vets flushed out his crop and it returned to normal, they also gave him some antibiotics and gave us some to give him over five days along with a prescription for anti-fungal medicine to give him.
He's home now and had some food, the vet suggested that we use a feeding spoon instead of a syringe without a needle.

He is still looking lively although he has lost weight and is very hungry although not dehydrated.
We will feed him little and often and hopefully his condition will improve, I think he might be OK.

Thank you for every ones advise, I'll update if anything else happens with him.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you Katie for the update. I'm delighted you got him in to the vet for a check up and the crop flush. It's good he is on the antibiotics and anti-fungal. Keep him warm and work on making a better brooder box for him to stay in. The cardboard box won't hold the heat well and the lamp above is too much bright light for a young chick. I have high hopes he will thrive and grow into a beautiful feathered companion for you.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This information is copied from a post @Zara earlier today. This is a much better option for you to keep your baby in while you are taking care of it. I would also suggest purchasing a digital thermometer that you can hang on the inside of the brooder box so you can monitor the inside temperature of the box. I would place a towel folded under this type of box with a heating pad set on low under the towel and not next to the bottom of the kritter keeper.. and only have the heating pad under half of the box. If the chick gets too warm it can move to the other side of the box to get away from the heat source.

If the box is cardboard, then you are better to buy a box like this:

Here is a good link: How To Make A Home Made Brooder
Have a read of this too, the information will be useful to you: Breeding Cockatiels, candled eggs, assisted hatches, how to make a brooder, how to handfeed baby birds,
baby bird feeding schedule, baby bird weight gain chart, weaning baby birds, how to wean baby birds.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am so glad you got your little one to the vet! The vet gave you some very good advice.

I hope your little one continues to thrive :)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:smileflower: Thank Goodness it turned out so well! :yahoo::dancing:

I was afraid to finish reading this for fear it would be bad news. :angelic: Your fid had angels watching over it! :angelic:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Thank goodness you have a good vet. Blessings!

Katiebarnowl

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
Hello everyone,

Garf is still alive and well, he's a little underweight but it looks like he's going to make it into a full grown cockatiel.

These are pictures of Garf and his brother Cup:

cup.jpg
This above is Cup, he's very big and healthy.

garf.jpg
This is Garf, he's a very messy eater which is why there's food round his mouth, don't worry were getting it off.