• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel keeps on crashing into walls...

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I agree with others. An avian vet check should be first on the list before restricting her flight. After all, that is what birds love to do.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You say she is seven and you grew up with her. Is flying new to her? Is this a new problem? The answer to these two questions will give you an idea to what the issue is and how to address it.

BirdyLove

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Milly
Don't worry Eden, I'm sure she will be fine. My Tiel(angel) always crashes into walls when take her out but I suppose she is only 3 months old and..... So she is still young. But as matt said she could get concussion or even worse. Soz :(

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
take her into the vet and get her eyes checked. the reason i'm saying this is because Rocky was crashing to everything, walls, me, the floor. i had his eyes checked and he has a cataract on one eye and is nearly blind in that eye, because of it.

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
A vision check is definitely a good idea. My older birds are about that age, and are very good fliers. It is also possible that she never learned to land correctly. Captive birds sometimes don't learn certain flying skills because they didn't have an older bird to learn from.

Wayne361

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Wayne
Flight training is key here. I know what you are thinking....she already knows how to fly. What I mean by flight training is teaching her to fly in a controlled manner, thus gaining confidence, and improving flight ability. This is what I did with Oscar (he is on one of his flight perches in picture). He was a horrible flyer when I got him as a rehome, who had been previously clipped. He could fly but only if scared and it ended up him hitting walls, chairs, doors etc. He was going to kill himself if I didnt intervene. What I did is start to research online and came across theparrotforum.com and Michael's blogs/videos on flight training. I suck at posting links but much better to train rather than handicap the bird.
As an illustration Oscar is now a very good confident flyer who now enjoys his nightly flight sessions, flight recall, flighted retrieve etc. His behaviour is like night and day as well since he has become a proficient flyer.
I think this is the most responsible route and the bird doesnt suffer AND you improve your bond through training bird.

Hope this helps,

Wayne