• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Christmas Surprise!!!! Part 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
With Holly, you mention she is nippy in her cage. I would start right away target training her to a door perch so you can step her up from that.

Ekkies can tend to be territorial. I have had my males for 10 years. I do not reach into their cages. They come to the door perch.

Even my Eko, who is honestly the biggest sweetest mush in the world...no way will he step up from in his cage.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw Holly!! You are such a pretty girl!

laurel

Meeting neighbors
Hi, just saw your post and had to add my Ekkie experience. My S. I. Female is the sweetest, most gentle, quietest bird I have ever owned. She's almost seven years old and I've never had any hormonal issues with her. She's never bitten anyone and she NOT loud.

She talks a lot and whistles some but is not a screamer. I also don't find the diet that challenging. Tons if fruits and veggies.... Nuts berries and Harrison's pellets and she's happy.

I had an Amazon years ago for one week and my husband said it's me or the bird. It was the loudest animal on the planet! We brought it back to the breeder.
I hope you love your Eckie. Try keeping her out on a stand a lot of the time to keep her from becoming territorial. Female Eckies can be possessive of their food, so don't touch when she's eating!

I love my Eckies and think they're easy-keepers if you give them lots of love and a healthy diet.

2Birds3Kids

Walking the driveway
Hi, just saw your post and had to add my Ekkie experience. My S. I. Female is the sweetest, most gentle, quietest bird I have ever owned. She's almost seven years old and I've never had any hormonal issues with her. She's never bitten anyone and she NOT loud.

She talks a lot and whistles some but is not a screamer. I also don't find the diet that challenging. Tons if fruits and veggies.... Nuts berries and Harrison's pellets and she's happy.

I had an Amazon years ago for one week and my husband said it's me or the bird. It was the loudest animal on the planet! We brought it back to the breeder.
I hope you love your Eckie. Try keeping her out on a stand a lot of the time to keep her from becoming territorial. Female Eckies can be possessive of their food, so don't touch when she's eating!

I love my Eckies and think they're easy-keepers if you give them lots of love and a healthy diet.
I agree. Mine are super sweet and not loud. Our tiels can be loud and whistle non-stop, but my ekkies are adorable and not screamers at all.

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
Tons of fruits and veggies.... Nuts berries and Harrison's pellets and she's happy.
I have talked to several breeders and vets regarding pellets for Ekkies. I know of several breeders that condone all pellets, especially Harrisons because it has spirulina in it. A vet did say pellets were ok for the ekkies but he wouldn't suggest the Harrison's, but he said RoudyBush would be fine.
Just wondering if you have ever had any problems that you know of because of pellets? We all hear so much conflicting advice on feeding ekkies. I feed RoudyBush 24/7, and in the am they get their bowl of veggies and at night they get a piece of fruit and a few nuts. So far I have had good luck with doing this, but I would like to know what others feed their ekkies.

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Howard gets some Harrison's but he prefers his mashes, vegies and birdie bread and, of course, whatever we are eating. About the only fruits he likes are blue berries and cranberries.

Status
Not open for further replies.