• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgies survived my apartment building going up into flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherM74

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Heather
it's been forever guys. I thought I was busy before, now I'm homeless type of busy. :(

My apartment building went up in flames Saturday, someone on the second floor left a cigg burning in a plastic container and it took down the building with $1 million in damage.

I'm posting this in the bird forum because it was a miracle.

My brother called me (we'd gone to get our hair cut) and said there was smoke rolling off my building. We turned around and hurried home to get the dog and the birds.

We couldn't get into our lot so I parked in the businesses across and behind us. I ran across the snow, the creek of water that had formed from the fire hoses going. I had a policeman and fireman not wanting to let my sister in law in to get any of the animals, but they finally let us open up the sliding glass door for Junie. I took that moment to run in and grab Twinkle as Shelley grabbed Woodstock. We took them to the side and sat them in the snow. I was choking from the smoke.

I ran back in and the firefighter stopped me and said you can't go back in. It's too dangerous. I said my parakeets are in there. He said, I'm sorry you can't go back in and he would't let me through at all. I sent my husband up and he wouldn't let him in either.

I was freaking.

They fought the fire for 5 hours at least. We watched it go up in flames. The fire was on the opposite side of the building, but like I said, I was choking on smoke just going in. I knew the budgies would die.

After they got the fire out the fire chief said does anyone have any life saving medicines they need? I ran to him and said my parakeets are in there. He said I'll go look.

He came back with their cage and it was silent. I took off the cover and chirping took over. I could not believe it. They were giving me heck I swear, grab the lovebirds and leave us to die in a fire?????

It's been since Saturday and they are doing fine. That was a miracle.

We're homeless but hoping that we'll be able to buy a mobile home on contract in my kids' district. You can see my son being interviewed and them talking about the fire here. (My son is Jordan)

I'm telling you, the sound of their chirping sent me into tears. I felt so guilty that I had to leave them behind. To have them live. It was so amazing.

When you hear on the news that they said they gave everyone an apartment, they are lying. I'm not the only one with no place to go (we are at my brother's) and have to have our stuff out by Saturday. They so generously let us rent another garage at full cost. :(

HeatherM74

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Heather
I should add what is leaving me homeless is there was 5 inches of water in my apartment from the water they threw on the fire draining down. My ceiling kind of exploded in places from the weight of the water. Plus the smoke damage. It sucks. That's the only way I can say it. It sucks bad.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
WOW. That is an incredible story!!!!!!! I am so glad about it but I cannot believe they survived!!!!! I am so happy for you and your budgies!!!!! :heart: I am glad you are all safe and sound now!!

HeatherM74

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Heather
Thank you! Those little guys are tougher than we think.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I'm so sorry about all that your going through...but THANK GOODNESS you and your whole family are safe!! :hug8:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! That was a miracle. Thank God you're all safe and you have a place to stay!

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
That is a real miracle :heart:
I'm so glad you & your birds all made it out safely :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I am so sorry Heather :(

but so happy that your babies are ok :)

:hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh how amazing! you are so fortunate to be alive and have all your animals....I know it must really be terrible to lose so much, but I am so happy all lives are saved

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank god you,your family and birds are safe.what a scarey time for you.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
What a relief you are ok. :hug8: Please be sure to take your birds to the vet to make sure there is no internal smoke damage they may not be showing right now.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I'm so sorry for what you are going thru.
The horror and now the hassel.
I'm amazed and thrilled you and ALL your loved ones are OK.

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
Oh that is just terrible. Im so glad you are okay, what a relief. And you animals, that is a miracle. im so happy everyone is okay but so sad for you. I do hope you find a new home fast. My thoughts are with you.

MollyMouse

Heather I am so sorry to hear this :hug8:I am glad you are all okay though. I sure hope you can find a new home soon.

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Oh my goodness! :hug8: Thank God you and your family (feathered as well) are safe! That is terrifying!! :eek: You all will be in our thoughts and we wish you the best! :hug8::hug8:

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Oh my. So glad to hear you are all alright.:hug8: Hope you're able to find a new home soon.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Wow!! I am so sorry to hear about the fire! It is a miracle they survived, lucky birds!

I know how you feel though, I lost everything in a fire when I was 14, we were homeless for months. Praying you find a home soon.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

HeatherM74

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Heather
Thank you everyone. I'm telling you, it was a miracle. Everyone in the building got out. No injuries at all - minus a popped rib on me after the fact trying to pull things out. We have until Saturday to get out everything we can save and we are in the middle of a blizzard. Then the birds go to our vet. He is 30 minutes away and the closest avian vet to me. I can't even get to him right now. My husband is taking a friend with a truck over tomorrow to move stuff. He said that he doesn't want me to go because every time I do stuff, the rib hurts worse. My doctor said I can do physical therapy which I can't afford right now, or do these stretches and it might pop back into place, or have this other doctor there pop it back in, which sounds horribly painful but would probably be better after the fact.

Lucky seems to have rubbed himself against the toys more when they were trapped. his feathers were a little more ruffled than normal (he's a toy rubber). The others all seem to be acting normal. The other 4 are acting completely normal thank God.

Status
Not open for further replies.