• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie keeps flying into walls. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

sahkoo

Moving in
Real Name
Amber Christmas
I try to let Gatsby out of his cage during the day and I'm home, but whenever he starts flying around he always runs into the window, or the wall, and then falls to the ground. I can't imagine that this isn't hurting him at all, so is there anything I can do? :confused:

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Make sure the room in brightly lit. They don't fly good in dark or dim light. Maybe draw the curtains or blinds and turn on artificial light. Poor little thing could really hurt himself. It is a new surroundings or is he all of a sudden doing this when he was flying fine in that room before?

sahkoo

Moving in
Real Name
Amber Christmas
It's new surroundings. And I thought he was getting used to it, because yesterday he was doing just fine when flying around! But I had to put him back in his cage early today, because he kept hitting the wall. :(

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
I would maybe let him stay in his cage a few days. Can you move the cage to different parts of the room so he can get familiar with it from different views?

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
You can cover the windows with curtains that way if Gatsby were to fly into the window he'd be able to get a grasp on the curtains. Have safe landing areas for him through out the room and show them to him, they can be play gyms, perches suction cupped to windows, etc. My guys don't usually fly into walls or windows unless startled into flight.

sahkoo

Moving in
Real Name
Amber Christmas
Thank you both for the suggestions! I'll be sure to try them out. :)

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
If you don't already have things hung up on the walls, maybe pictures or whatever to break it up and give the walls more definition?

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Another idea is to make a little table for him to go. I have a little stand by the window and I usually put a paper towel on it and lay out some millet and also put out some water in a shallow plastic dish and seeds or a treat. So my keet normally just goes there and then sometimes lands on the other cages and then back to her cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.