• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My budgie is pulling out her flight feathers

Chillu16

Sitting on the front steps
The trill seed mix I sometimes get (I don’t think it’s the same pkt as pictured though) does actually have pellets mixed into it, although it’s not a lot. You can also often buy Trill pellets from the same places that stock the seed.
what trill seed mix do you get?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
what trill seed mix do you get?
Trill is not what I feed all the time but every now and then I do use it. I just get whatever trill mix the local supermarket stocks. I’m really not a fan of the shell grit in it (thankfully my budgie doesn’t seem to touch it) and I pick a fair bit of it out which is probably why I noticed that sometime last year the mix changed a little and had little green pellets added.

Chillu16

It's diet needs major improvement; pellets/seeds (60%/ 40%) and soft foods such as mashed sweet potatoes, fruit such as chopped apples, pears, bananas, beans, lentils, cooked grains such as steel cut oats, millet, quinoa spelt, peas, corn. Nothing should be canned veggies or fruit too much sugar & salt.
And from the pictures please clean that cage daily......
I cleaned the cage right after, it was getting towards the end of my weekly clean. How many times should I clean the cage? Do I cook/boil any of the veggies?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Papers on the bottom of the cage should be done daily, if possible. With my pigpen 'bird' I do it several times a day. And the tray is done weekly.
Most veggies can be washed, the only thing I cook is sweet potatoes unless I'm freezing them. Then I blanch them according to my cookbook directions.
Cooking beans like pinto, chickpeas, black beans, lentils, split peas and whole grains like whole wheat, steel cut oats, spelt, millet, Bulgar wheat according to package directions. I do that about every other month and freeze what I'm not using for immediate use. Use fresh fruit like apples, pears, bananas that have been washed and diced into tiny pieces.

Chillu16

Papers on the bottom of the cage should be done daily, if possible. With my pigpen 'bird' I do it several times a day. And the tray is done weekly.
Most veggies can be washed, the only thing I cook is sweet potatoes unless I'm freezing them. Then I blanch them according to my cookbook directions.
Cooking beans like pinto, chickpeas, black beans, lentils, split peas and whole grains like whole wheat, steel cut oats, spelt, millet, Bulgar wheat according to package directions. I do that about every other month and freeze what I'm not using for immediate use. Use fresh fruit like apples, pears, bananas that have been washed and diced into tiny pieces.
What can I put on the bottom of the cage instead of paper?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Paper is your best option. Any other beddings tend to be dusty, won't allow you to monitor the droppings (which often the first sign of illness) and/or have a tendency to grow mould. Woodshavings, corncob bedding, Carefresh, shredded cardboard etc all have these problems.

I buy white packing paper in bulk. I change this every day.

If you have a smaller cage then it may be more economical to use newspapers. You can ask family, friends and colleagues for old ones.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
^^^AGREED^^^