• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie is flapping his wing really fast as if he is flying but he is still sitting on the perch.

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
I was sitting, doing some work in my room, which is the same room where the cage is, and suddenly, i hear his chirping and he flaps his wings really fast as if he is flying, but he goes nowhere and clings to the perch. What is this?

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
he is also making weird sounds and periodically making this pigeon sound and a kind of screech and a kind of kissing sound. is this a medical problem?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If you are concerned go to the vet. We are not vets, we can't tell you if something is wrong.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sound like he;s flying in place. Penny flaps her wings on the perch but does not fly sometimes. They do that for exercise or excitement sometimes. If everything else is fine with them I would not worry about it. He might just be happy but monitor him to make sure he is eating, pooping & otherwise acting normally.

Budgies do this by vigorously flapping their wings while hanging onto a perch, flying in place. It’s part of a morning routine to get the blood flowing, and is usually done right after stretching. They often make “mad” sounds while they get into it

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
Sound like he;s flying in place. Penny flaps her wings on the perch but does not fly sometimes. They do that for exercise or excitement sometimes. If everything else is fine with them I would not worry about it. He might just be happy but monitor him to make sure he is eating, pooping & otherwise acting normally.

Budgies do this by vigorously flapping their wings while hanging onto a perch, flying in place. It’s part of a morning routine to get the blood flowing, and is usually done right after stretching. They often make “mad” sounds while they get into it
ok that's why he was making weird sounds. Thank you!

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies do this once or twice a day. I think it's just for exercise, a way to keep their muscles strong.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My lovebirds do this too. They grab on to the perch or cage floor, but sometimes do it and hover around the bottom of the cage (I leave the lower part empty for them so there´s space) like a bumblebee. :buzzbee:

LMan98

Meeting neighbors
also another concern is I noticed he also has poop that is a dark shade of green. I recently fed him some green bell peppers, so is that why?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Woah, this is place to ask questions if needed. So they’re more than welcome to ask here first instead of going to a vet with what might be a common thing with budgies.
They asked if it was a medical problem. We cannot provide diagnoses.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Sounds like it’s just exercise. If budgies don’t get enough out of the cage flight time each day they will do this but it’s normal

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird couldn't fly well but he loved to flap in place, I would say flap my pretty and he'd get all excited and go till he was panting. I think he liked the exercise and the fun encouragement from us.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies do this move.. I have read in an article, this action more common in clipped budgies. They make a sound which is barely audible due to flapping noise.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes all of my birds have flapped in place just for exercise and fun. My new little Linnie loves to flap on the perch when I move her cage each day. She also flies and when she lands she flaps some more.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I know that several foods can and will change the color and/ or consistency of the droppings... I'm not sure about green bell pepper.
But-- watch and learn if you decide to feed beets!!! :jawdrop1:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley does this daily. He doesn't fly - he's not clipped but he was in a small cage and malnourished for years - but loves to flap.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Kiwi likes to do this along with the sound that I have seen described as: “angry chipmunk” “squeaky gate” “angry dolphin”

My tiels also do it but without sound. I’m pretty sure it’s just a little wing exercise.