• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My budgie got a scratch on his cere!

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
My budgie and I were doing some flight training, but he had a collision with a wall. It looked hard but he still flew. We stopped the training immediately and then put him in his cage to rest. As I'm typing this I see a scratch on his cere, it isn't bleeding but it is red. Any thoughts on what I should do? The vet place is full right now so I can't do much.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Since he collided with a wall, I'd keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't seem confused or sleepy- both can be bad signs. You should probably check him over, look for bruising. Get him in to a vet when you can, or if there is an emergency vet near you (although near is a relative term- the ER I go to is an hour and a half from me.) The ouchie on his cere, as long as it isn't deep should be ok. Still better to have a vet check it out though.

Keep him calm and quiet and warm. Best of luck!

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy

I got a picture of the cut/split now. It doesn't seem to be bleeding.
I asked my parents if they could drive me to the veterinary ER, they say I'm overreacting, so I don't know what to do, I'm really worried.

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Alright, I'll try my best to wipe his cere with a q-tip. Thank you so much for your help.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's a very handsome budgie and looks bright and alert but keep be sure to monitor him throughout the day. Little scratch and agree with taxidermynerd's and Birdbabe's recommendations.

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
It's not bad, a little clean like @taxidermynerd suggests, and may a teeny bit of antibiotic cream, do watch to make sure hes ok. Sure is a beautiful little guy.
He's a very handsome budgie and looks bright and alert but keep be sure to monitor him throughout the day. Little scratch and agree with taxidermynerd's and Birdbabe's recommendations.
Thanks for the compliments for Hula, but I tried cleaning the wound. He is a slippery one and seems to slip out of my hand when I try to q-tip the wound area with a saline solution. He also bites the solution instead of actually letting my apply it, I tried doing this with a wet towel as well. Any tips on getting my bird to calm down so I can clean the area properly?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
He is too cute to be bumping into walls. Try the flight sessions in a smaller room for safety.

Comet

Strolling the yard
Try to (very gently) restrain his head in your fingers while holding the rest of his body in your hand. Apply the q-tip from the side instead of the front. Best of wishes!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
You should probably check him over, look for bruising.
Quick question, how do you check a bird over for bruising? Sounds a little hard to do with all those feathers, do you just look under them? What do bruises look like on birds? I'm curious and want to learn just in case!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Also Charlie had a similar injury and it healed very well :) Just make sure to monitor your bird for any signs of concussion

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Quick question, how do you check a bird over for bruising? Sounds a little hard to do with all those feathers, do you just look under them? What do bruises look like on birds? I'm curious and want to learn just in case!
Blow the feathers with your mouth,to lift them..if theres bruises, they will show greenish, bluish, yellowish, or purple..

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Blow the feathers with your mouth,to lift them..if theres bruises, they will show greenish, bluish, yellowish, or purple..
Basically this. Bruises are surprisingly similar in birds to that of humans. When Chirp smacked into a wall his chest was black and blue for a long while, the ER vet said he was lucky he didn't break his keel bone. So that's why I mentioned it, just in case you end up in the same boat.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Bruising can also show as a change of colour in the beak if that takes an impact.