• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird won't bathe

Riley Schmidt

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Riley Schmidt
Hello!
I've been trying to get my bird, Bobo, to bathe for months now and I'm pretty sure I've tried everything. I've inserted a bath tray in place of his water, waited a LONG time, but he just drank it like normal water. He's not fully hand trained, but when I manage to comfortably get him out of his cage, I fill out a bowl with warm water. Again, he just drinks it. I've even tried putting his favorite seeds in the bowl and he won't budge. The last thing I've tried is a spray. I fill it with warm water, put it on mist, and gently spray him when he's in a "good mood". I don't think he likes the spray. I've tried so many things to get Bobo to bathe, but he just won't. I don't necessarily know if he is tamed yet, though. He's comfortable with my hands close to him and he loves to sit on my shoulder. I guess he just isn't hand trained.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
try playing in the water with him? Maybe put a toy or some greens in there to play with to encourage him to bathe?

Bethlaws600

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Beth
Some budgies prefer to bathe with lettuce leaves that are hung in they cage. Be sure to mist the leaves down well if using this meathod though! :justducky:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Some budgies would never bathe inside the cage, but would relish bathtime outside it. Maybe not to get their home (nest) wet?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buddy's a Zon & he gets baths in the bath tub. He also occasionally takes baths in his water dish. Your buddy is so tiny. What about in the sink w/ a dish. (Dont let the water pour onto him w/out a hand above him, {to disperse} it could be way to much of a force down upon him) I also sing when we do it, he seems to :heart: it!

Sorry not more help!

Riley Schmidt

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Riley Schmidt
Buddy's a Zon & he gets baths in the bath tub. He also occasionally takes baths in his water dish. Your buddy is so tiny. What about in the sink w/ a dish. (Dont let the water pour onto him w/out a hand above him, {to disperse} it could be way to much of a force down upon him) I also sing when we do it, he seems to :heart: it!

Sorry not more help!
Yes, I'm hoping to try the whole sink bath idea when he is hand trained. Thanks for the suggestion :)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
My babies all try to bath in their water bowls whenever I run the vacuum! So now I give them each a large pan with tepid water before I clean their room. Works every time!

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
I actually got my bird started by holding a shallow dish filled with water up to my shoulder and rippling the water with my finger. Sometimes running the sink helps too. Eventually our bird just decided it liked bathing and his favorite thing is a bowl with parsley springs and warm water. He gets so excited and hops off my shoulder to get to it! He refuses to go in this covered bird bath cage attachment I bought.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Simon sometimes wants a shower. I see that Bobo is on your shoulder. You could try getting into the shower (on gentle spray) with him on your shoulder, even with your clothes on. I have done this with Simon when he doesn't want a shower or bath for a long time. He might enjoy getting wet while you are getting thoroughly wet too. Having a shower with your clothes on is funny he might see the enjoyment in it. Remember he can't take his clothes off to bathe.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Good luck with this - Fergus and Fiona like the misting a lot. They have bathed last summer but not often. I tried out numerous bowls in the bottom of their cage, but no luck. My Lucy (now deceased) used to fly to the kitchen and get under the sink tap. She loved bathing like that! Was SO fun and she was so cute relishing all the water running all over her. I was amazed that she wanted to be that wet, because I had never seen birds bathe that much.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck with this - Fergus and Fiona like the misting a lot. They have bathed last summer but not often. I tried out numerous bowls in the bottom of their cage, but no luck. My Lucy (now deceased) used to fly to the kitchen and get under the sink tap. She loved bathing like that! Was SO fun and she was so cute relishing all the water running all over her. I was amazed that she wanted to be that wet, because I had never seen birds bathe that much.

Buddy wouldn't bathe until he got really itchy. He loves it once he's in the tub, but wants me to do all the work. By the time he bathes himself, he 's so smelly. When I first got him he was afraid of the sprayer. I think my Dad used it to discipline him for honking & yelling. He loves to be sprayed now. It's funny how our Fids can be as individual as you & I in something as common as bathing! :bored: :confused: :eek: :joyful:

:gbh: