• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My bird was attacked by my dog

Shelby02

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm hoping someone can help me.. not long ago today, i had put my cockatiel Apollo into his cage and pulled out his food and water bowls to refill them. His cage was in my room with the door shut because I have a Jack Russell down that is quite intent on getting to the bird. I opened the door and pushed her away but slipped slightly and the dog got into the room. Apollo was safe in the cage until the dog knocked it and somehow the bottom fell of the cage as my mum lifted it up away from the dog so the bird fell out and my dog grabbed him. Once we got him out of the dogs mouth and put her outside, Apollo was sitting under my bed limping and very shocked, and hissing a lot. We got him out with a towel to avoid bites and checked him over and i noticed he was bleeding from the leg (I think, couldn't get close enough to check). Since, he's been sitting in the bottom corner of his cage sleeping. He's calmed down but I'm still really concerned I've missed something wrong or he might die.. need help ASAP please!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm sorry that this has happened. Try and keep him calm, warm and dry but you should have him check out by a vet ASAP

Shelby02

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm sorry that this has happened. Try and keep him calm, warm and dry but you should have him check out by a vet ASAP
Thank you. We looked closer just now and I think my dogs tooth might've scratched or slightly punctured above her right leg so we did some googling and knew that corn starch helps stop blood when they break blood feathers so we used some of that to help with the leg. He's using his leg still, he was actually trying to climb his cage before so I think he should be ok but I will take him to the vet just to be sure Thank you

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He needs to see a vet immediately. Dogs' saliva can carry bacteria that is very dangerous for birds. He needs antibiotics ASAP (like within the next 24 hours) to make sure he doesn't end up with a very serious infection.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry your bird got injured by your dog. If he was bitten then you should take him to vet because he could get an infection. It's good that you are planning to do that and best to do it very soon. Please keep us updated.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope he will be okay, and that you are taking him to a vet right now. It's very important that you don't wait. Please keep us updated on how he is doing!

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Please take him to the vet! I get so many dead or dying birds when the original finder didn't take them to the vet or me in time. Even being in a dogs mouth can kill a bird.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Your bird needs to see an avian vet as soon as possible!!!

Please keep us posted. I hope your little Apollo pulls through. Sending you prayers.
:sadhug2:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Thank you. We looked closer just now and I think my dogs tooth might've scratched or slightly punctured above her right leg so we did some googling and knew that corn starch helps stop blood when they break blood feathers so we used some of that to help with the leg. He's using his leg still, he was actually trying to climb his cage before so I think he should be ok but I will take him to the vet just to be sure Thank you
He needs antibiotics today, as soon as he can get them. He is at a HUGE risk for sepsis, which will kill him. For now keep him in a cage where he can't climb or use the leg to prevent further injury to himself