1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My bird swallowed my nose ring!

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by J3nn1ngs, 8/9/18.

1. J3nn1ngs

J3nn1ngs Checking out the neighborhood

Sarah
    Hello,

Im in need of some advice. My Quaker just ripped my nose ring out of my nose and im 1000% sure he ate it. I've looked everywhere for it.... Do you think he will pass it? Its not sharp and is a straight bar not even a half inch long and its stainless steel. Im worried sick. I called the vet and they said to wait it out and check his droppings as much as possible. Has this happened to anyone else??!

2. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    My quaker has ripped out my eyebrow ring before. Never eaten it though; they show up randomly 6 months later lol

3. J3nn1ngs

Sarah
    Im just worried sick i have literally had him for 2 weeks. I've had love birds before but they didn't play with my jewelry lol. Im just hoping for the best at this point :( i learned my lesson tho.

4. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    "Help!!! My Parrot Swallowed My Earring!!!!"

If this happens to you, there are a couple of things to remember that might help you stay calm:

• Birds know the difference between food and objects. They’re unlikely to swallow objects – it’s possible but it’s unlikely.
    • If a bird intentionally snatches an interesting object, it’s usually because they want a closer look. You can’t look at something if you swallow it.
    • Small earrings fit in small cracks and places. I’m sure there is a planet where all the odd socks in the world go and it wouldn’t surprise me if there happens to be a pile of earrings there too.
    • If a bird does swallow something, it goes into their crop, so it isn’t immediately on its way further into the digestive system. You’ve got a small window of time before the situation gets more serious.
    I don't know that a stud would pass through easily; if you are 1000% sure he ate it, then he needs an xray to confirm

Shezbug, Sweet Louise, Eloy and 5 others like this.
  5. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    Take your vacuum and old pair of pantyhose stretch the waist/body part over the head (suction part) of vacuum . Vacuum very carefully in the area where you were, if the nose ring is there it will get caught in the pantyhose. If you don't find it, then make vet appt asap. Your Quaker will not be able to pass it.

Shezbug, Eloy, Peachfaced and 8 others like this.
  6. saroj12

saroj12 Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

saroj
    Put the bird in his cage before you vacuum

7. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Do you know what kind of metal it was?

rocky'smom and faislaq like this.
  8. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sandra
    Before you freak out & melt down completely, what diameter was the nose ring? Quakers are really good at disappearing stuff but not actually swallowing it. From personal experience. The little turd may have dropped or flung it away. Or taken it back to his cage (having found a pair of missing glasses in a Quaker's cage).

Shezbug, NirAntae, rocky'smom and 4 others like this.
  9. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Hopefully your Quaker did not swallow the nose ring and just dropped it somewhere. If you think that she/he did swallow it then you probably want to take her/him to the vet and get an x-ray. Hope all will be well.

Shezbug and Mizzely like this.
  10. Feathered up

Feathered up Sprinting down the street

Jamie
    The only way to know if he swallowed it for sure is either find it, or get an X-ray. If you’re sure it was swallowed it’s a vet emergency not wait and see if it passes.

Shezbug likes this.
  11. J3nn1ngs

Sarah
    Guys my boyfriend found it!! It was deeply hidden in the cushions of my couch. Learned my lesson tho! No more jewelry with my Perry anymore!! Thanks for all your advice!!

12. WendyN

WendyN Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Wendy
    Very glad it worked out!

13. Mizzely

Shawna
    Happy, easy ending is the best!

14. Feathered up

Feathered up Sprinting down the street

Jamie
    Thank heavens! I’m so glad it worked out!

15. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    Thank god

16. NirAntae

NirAntae Walking the driveway

Jennie
    So glad it worked out, but man... the vet's advice was wait and check his droppings?! I'd be looking for a new vet...

Shezbug and BeanieofJustice like this.
  17. cnyguy

cnyguy Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Gary
    Glad you found it! And a good idea to remove all jewelry when parrots are around. Parrots (especially QPs) are notorious jewel thieves. I won't even wear a watch when Ralph is out 'cause he likes to reset the time. :D

SandraK, Shezbug and Tiel Feathers like this.
  18. Shezbug

Shezbug I have a macaw and don't post enough photos

Phew, so glad this ended with you finding the nose ring :)

SandraK likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)