• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My bird swallowed my nose ring!

J3nn1ngs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sarah
Hello,

Im in need of some advice. My Quaker just ripped my nose ring out of my nose and im 1000% sure he ate it. I've looked everywhere for it.... Do you think he will pass it? Its not sharp and is a straight bar not even a half inch long and its stainless steel. Im worried sick. I called the vet and they said to wait it out and check his droppings as much as possible. Has this happened to anyone else??!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My quaker has ripped out my eyebrow ring before. Never eaten it though; they show up randomly 6 months later lol

J3nn1ngs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sarah
Im just worried sick i have literally had him for 2 weeks. I've had love birds before but they didn't play with my jewelry lol. Im just hoping for the best at this point :( i learned my lesson tho.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
"Help!!! My Parrot Swallowed My Earring!!!!"

If this happens to you, there are a couple of things to remember that might help you stay calm:

• Birds know the difference between food and objects. They’re unlikely to swallow objects – it’s possible but it’s unlikely.
  • If a bird intentionally snatches an interesting object, it’s usually because they want a closer look. You can’t look at something if you swallow it.
  • Small earrings fit in small cracks and places. I’m sure there is a planet where all the odd socks in the world go and it wouldn’t surprise me if there happens to be a pile of earrings there too.
  • If a bird does swallow something, it goes into their crop, so it isn’t immediately on its way further into the digestive system. You’ve got a small window of time before the situation gets more serious.
I don't know that a stud would pass through easily; if you are 1000% sure he ate it, then he needs an xray to confirm

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Take your vacuum and old pair of pantyhose stretch the waist/body part over the head (suction part) of vacuum . Vacuum very carefully in the area where you were, if the nose ring is there it will get caught in the pantyhose. If you don't find it, then make vet appt asap. Your Quaker will not be able to pass it.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hello,

Im in need of some advice. My Quaker just ripped my nose ring out of my nose and im 1000% sure he ate it. I've looked everywhere for it.... Do you think he will pass it? Its not sharp and is a straight bar not even a half inch long and its stainless steel. Im worried sick. I called the vet and they said to wait it out and check his droppings as much as possible. Has this happened to anyone else??!
Before you freak out & melt down completely, what diameter was the nose ring? Quakers are really good at disappearing stuff but not actually swallowing it. From personal experience. The little turd may have dropped or flung it away. Or taken it back to his cage (having found a pair of missing glasses in a Quaker's cage).

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully your Quaker did not swallow the nose ring and just dropped it somewhere. If you think that she/he did swallow it then you probably want to take her/him to the vet and get an x-ray. Hope all will be well.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
The only way to know if he swallowed it for sure is either find it, or get an X-ray. If you’re sure it was swallowed it’s a vet emergency not wait and see if it passes.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Very glad it worked out!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Happy, easy ending is the best!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Thank god

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Guys my boyfriend found it!! It was deeply hidden in the cushions of my couch. Learned my lesson tho! No more jewelry with my Perry anymore!! Thanks for all your advice!!
Glad you found it! And a good idea to remove all jewelry when parrots are around. Parrots (especially QPs) are notorious jewel thieves. I won't even wear a watch when Ralph is out 'cause he likes to reset the time. :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Phew, so glad this ended with you finding the nose ring :)