• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird seems to hate me but also humps my hand?

Leira

Sitting on the front steps
My cockatiel Rocky is super aggressive towards everyone, including myself. He seems to hate hands, if I stand by his cage and bring up a hand to scratch my face he'll lunge and start hissing. However, when I put my hand into his cage, he rushes over and starts to hump my hand. I'll try to put him down but he just hops back on and tries to continue. I don't know if he would do this to anyone else, as everyone in my family says his bites hurt too much and they're scared to try haha. I've tried looking online for this, and most things say things like "he's bonded to you" but he has never let me do anything and hisses at me when I walk past his cage! It's winter right now and I thought mating season was in the spring, so I'm also confused about that? How can I go about preventing this behaviour and actually start taming him? I can't even try to feed him millet as he ignores it and goes straight to my hand. Any help would be appreciated !!! :(

Sylvester

Hit the Road
He is hormonal right now, which may explain his unpleasant mood. Please do not allow him to continue to masturbate on your hand. Try to distract him. Get him to play with his toys whenever that happens.

Leira

He is hormonal right now, which may explain his unpleasant mood. Please do not allow him to continue to masturbate on your hand. Try to distract him. Get him to play with his toys whenever that happens.
ahh I see, do you know how long this lasts for? So far it's been a month, ever since we got him.

Leira

How old is he?
We recently got him from another owner who had him for a year, but they didn't know how old he was. They also had another bird that stayed with him, and the vet guesses she's about 15-18. I'm not sure if this is the case for Rocky though. If anything from his behaviour might give clues, he's very noisy and active. He makes clicking noises and "woot-woot" noises occasionally which I feel like is a mating practice but I'm not sure, and he whistles quite a bit too. I'm not sure what's associated with old birds, haha.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
We recently got him from another owner who had him for a year, but they didn't know how old he was. They also had another bird that stayed with him, and the vet guesses she's about 15-18. I'm not sure if this is the case for Rocky though. If anything from his behaviour might give clues, he's very noisy and active. He makes clicking noises and "woot-woot" noises occasionally which I feel like is a mating practice but I'm not sure, and he whistles quite a bit too. I'm not sure what's associated with old birds, haha.

Okay, so he is way pass puberty. I would just sit outside his cage and talk softly to him, read to him if you have to. Just let him get to know you. Make sure during these periods of hormones that he gets plenty of rest, with no disturbances. I would feed chickpeas to my cockatoo, which seem to calm the hormones down.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I just wanted to say I hope you can figure out a way to distract him when he humps your hand. I guess it's possible that the former owner thought it was comical and encouraged it... ugh. In any case, hope you can get him to settle in and curb the aggression. :sadhug2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How much sleep dose he get? Tiels need 10-12 hours. If he's not getting that he should. If he is, you can try increasing by 2 more hours for a couple of weeks to see if it helps get his hormones back in check. (My cockatoo is hormonal right now also.)

Sylvester

Hit the Road
ahh okay! I'll try that out. Thank you!

Chickpeas worked like a charm every time, in my bird's case. Served slightly warm or at room temperature is fine. Please keep us posted.