• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird is so mean, he bites and screams a lot. Help

dragonwings

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a 9yr male eclectus. He is mean and will bite. He cant fly due to the owner before me was abusive to him. He pull his feathers out on his tail and wings no matter how much attention I give him. He will not talk to me when I talk to him. He can talk and can say things I didnt even know he could say when ppl come to my house. He will scream all day to where he will have to put him in a different room to make him stop. Does any one have any advice or have any tips for me to help.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Bunch of questions :)

How long has he been with you?
What diet is he on?
What type of toys / enrichment does he have in his cage? And size of cage?
How did you meet him? Did you work with him and do well with him before bringing him home?
Do you know the truth about the relationship with the previous home? Was his primary caregiver before a man or woman?
Is there anyone he has met that he has done well with?

And last, but most important, has he been to the vet for a full health screening including gram / fecal and blood panels?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Welcome!
How long has he been living with you?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Hi, tell us a little more about your life with this bird.

How long have you had him? How big is his cage, and what is inside?
Does he play/chew his toys? What is his diet like?

The more folks here know, the better suggestions you'll get.

My one suggestions is give him ambient attention. Close, but not directed at him.
Include him, but not overwhelmingly. Offer your company, but do not force it on him.
Allow him to have a family and attention that is calm and safe.
He must learn to trust.

Others will have lots to add.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds are not mean :) They are trying to communicate something to us that sometimes we don't understand. Biting and screaming are often things they learn to do because it is has been effective. The others have asked the questions that I would have!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Sounds less like he's being mean and more like he's frustrated and scared and maybe even a little bored, imho.

Also, birds are loud. All of my birds scream or make noise when they want something.

Birds will often bite when they don't like something or aren't comfortable with you. They will also bite down onto a 'perch' (aka: a person) when they're not sure if their 'perch' is stable enough, or if they think biting=playing. Do you know if he's biting out of fear or biting to make sure you're stable enough for him to step up on? What do you do when he bites?

dragonwings

I have had Jo for about 7 years, he came from a bad place. I was not the one that took him out of there. He was found when a dog fighting ring was busted in my town. He and about 3 other birds and many other small animals were taken. I worked with the Humane Society and they asked me if I would be willing to take this bird. At the time we was unable to be touched and would jump at and attack any one that got close to him. I brought him home and it took about 3 weeks but I got him to trust me, I can hold him and get him to step up on my hand and he has bit me a lot and one point he bit my finger so hard he broke it. I was trying to get him off the couch. As I said before he does not flry because his wings are messed up. They ppl before me pulled out flight feathers and tore his wing and it had healed before he was found. ok so that is back ground on my Jo Jo. His cage is about 5ft tall and 3 foot squared. He has a few toys but he like to sit on the couch with my little dog who he is is best friends with. HE like to walk about the house and talk to the cats. I have 4 and all have been bitten by him a few times and they run when he comes close to them. He has Tv shows he likes to watch and every day he will watch M.A.S.H and a few other shows. He like to watch us cook and he will walk in the kitchen and beg for food. So for his diet he has fruits and veggies fresh every day and a parrot mix I get at the vet. He likes to have worms and he will eat goat cheese for a treat. He has to go to the vet about every 3 months to get his nails done. He had a whole work up with blood and the works about 7 months ago and the vet said he is in good heath. It is not every day he acts up but about 4 times a week he will just scream all day, he will not listen and he will be mean any one that comes close to him by trying to bite and even jump on them as they pass by his cage. oh yes his cage in in the living room and he is in the center of every thing that happens in the house. So i hope this Info helps and please let me know what else there is to help him with his bad days and get him to stop. I have a 12 years old son and I just had a baby 14 days ago and he jumped at me with my baby in my arm so this is why i need help. I want to keep this bird but I cant if he will hurt my baby.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Okay, first of all; you shouldn't let him near the cats. They carry bacteria in their mouths and under their claws that can kill him, even if they don't attack him. He could easily ingest it by biting them, since cats groom themselves with their tongues.

As for him screaming and acting up, that does sound more like he's bored more than anything else, and perhaps even a bit wierded out by the new baby. The fact that he can't fly might only be compounding the issue; he can't get away, and thus likely feels he has to be defensive. A lot of birds are also territorial of their cages. My bird loves to cuddle up in shirts while I'm wearing them, but she'll bite the everloving love out of me if she catches my hand in her cage, and will lunge at anyone who comes too close to it while she's in it.

Have you tried setting up more places for him to explore outside of the cage? What you can do is get a very big bird-safe branch that's pesticide and herbicide free and set it up for him with a Christmas tree stand. I have one I set up myself with toys and hanging treats they have to figure out how to get to.

dragonwings

I have not tried getting him a perch that is not inside his cage. He does sit on the couch a lot but we have to limit that on the grounds he would not share the couch with us and would attack us for even walking past it. I will try getting him a big branch to put in a different place with some toys and treats.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Try target training, but the bird must first be clicker trained, this means that the birds understands that a click equals reward, the reward can be praise or a food item

Then you need to decide what to use for the target, I use a chop stick and it can’t be a hand-held perch that the birds step up onto. The chop stick must only be used for training sessions and not for play outside the training sessions, otherwise they lose their meaning.

Use T-stand to confine the bird to the area which helps it to concentrate on the chop stick. Start by holding the chop stick near the bird and Click and reward for any movement toward the chop stick. Then withhold the reward until the bird touches the chop stick, Click and reward.

Teach him to touch it with a gentle grip of the beak as birds have a tendency to open their beak to touch it. If you have a bird that is very aggressive and wants to grab the chop stick out of your hand, then you will need to hold onto the chop stick and not let him pull it out of your hand.

The first time he does a gentle grab Click and reward with extra treats and praise. This is an “recognition moment ". He should soon get the idea of the gentle grip. Once he understands that, only Click and reward for gentle grip touches.

Once the bird is reliably touching the chop stick from the perch, by having him move up, down, right and left, we can then move the bird to the table top training area. If the bird seems nervous at first, go ahead and move the chop stick close to him to begin with. Then start moving it back a little at a time, and Click and reward for each gentle grip touch. Soon you should have him following the chop stick anywhere on the training area. This usually only takes two or three short sessions to train, but don't be discouraged if it takes longer.

The benefits of teaching a bird to target with a gentle grip, is that grabbing something with his beak is natural for him.

If your bird is cage bound, then start target training in the cage. This may have to take more time, but no need to rush things. Empty the food bowl and then when you Click and reward, you simply drop the treats into the food bowl. When you are finished with your training session. refill the food bowl.

Once a cage bound or aggressive bird has learned to target, you can start teaching him to step up using the target. Just don't use your arm first to step up on if there is any chance of being bitten. In training, we ALWAYS aim to avoid bites. Use a hand-held T- perch for the bird to step up on. You can either hold the clicker on the target stick and the perch with the other hand or use a mouth click. Hold the target where he will have to step onto the perch to reach the target. Take your time and don't worry if you must back up. We don't want to frighten the bird. When the bird becomes better at stepping up, you can then teach behaviours away from the cage.

Targeting is just one of the tools we use in training. The important things to keep in mind about this behaviour are:

The basic idea of targeting is to have the bird follow an object to touch it.

Once he has the idea of the gentle grip only reward him for that.

Always Click and reward for every gentle grip of the target.

Use “recognition moment " to help keep up his interest.

Try and end sessions on a positive note.

Have fun, keep training simple and never train if you are in a bad mood.

Once a bird has learned a behaviour, he won't forget it.

Happy training.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I just wanted to say good luck and thank you for taking him in. You will get a lot of wonderful advice here. Sometimes they scream out of boredom.... I would just say read what the others' tell you, there are a lot of good parronts here to help!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I have not tried getting him a perch that is not inside his cage. He does sit on the couch a lot but we have to limit that on the grounds he would not share the couch with us and would attack us for even walking past it. I will try getting him a big branch to put in a different place with some toys and treats.
I agree that he needs a place outside his cage that is only his. He has claimed the couch as his when he is on it, so he is unwilling to share it. And I also agree he could be a little weirded out by the new baby. I would not have him out around the baby. Because of his abusive past, it may very well take him a long time still, but you've already done so well with him! How would he react to new toys? Maybe time to rotate toys again?

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Okay, first of all; you shouldn't let him near the cats. They carry bacteria in their mouths and under their claws that can kill him, even if they don't attack him. He could easily ingest it by biting them, since cats groom themselves with their tongues.

As for him screaming and acting up, that does sound more like he's bored more than anything else, and perhaps even a bit wierded out by the new baby. The fact that he can't fly might only be compounding the issue; he can't get away, and thus likely feels he has to be defensive. A lot of birds are also territorial of their cages. My bird loves to cuddle up in shirts while I'm wearing them, but she'll bite the everloving love out of me if she catches my hand in her cage, and will lunge at anyone who comes too close to it while she's in it.

Have you tried setting up more places for him to explore outside of the cage? What you can do is get a very big bird-safe branch that's pesticide and herbicide free and set it up for him with a Christmas tree stand. I have one I set up myself with toys and hanging treats they have to figure out how to get to.
@Garet where did you get the branch for this idea? Did you buy it or prepare it yourself? I have a large magnolia tree that needs trimming! Freddy hasn't wanted to hang out away from his cage yet but when he does i want him to have a fun place to fly to. I think he'll like it. I want to set it up in the spring as he's afraid of anything new and will need time to get used to it. :idea: