• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird has an injured wing.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
From what I read, vinegar has widely been used to completely remove the galvanized coat from metal.
Sorry, I laugh when I read that because that was really funny. :D
Vinegar can not remove zinc or the/other galvanized coat. That was probably a 1 April joke, or they didn't know what they where talking about.
And every time the net is getting wet it will be very poison because it will be leaking zinc, and that can kill your bird. You can't wash off zinc, and that cage should NOT be used for parrots that are sensitive to zinc and other metal poison.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Here's an image of the metal up close, if anyone knows anything about it from looking.
Yes that is zinc galvanized metal. Poison!

Ilsa

Moving in
Real Name
Ilsa Olson
My birds don't chew their cages, but they definitely grip the wire in their beaks to help climb around. The idea that they could be getting poisoned is pretty scary. Replacing the wire itself with stainless steel is super expensive, as is buying another large cage, and I'm not going to put them in tortuously small cages. What's a cost-effective way of fixing my enclosure?

Ilsa

Moving in
Real Name
Ilsa Olson
I just requested a quote from a local powder coating service.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think replacing the cage might be cheaper than getting it powder coated, but I could be wrong!

Ilsa

Moving in
Real Name
Ilsa Olson
The guys I saw had 5/5 star reviews, and had a picture of a cage they coated. I'm hoping just coating some chicken wire will be cheap.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
How about using industrial strength bird netting? Im not sure but may be an option...short term at least.

For your injured beauty try lots of ladders too...he may find them easier to manipulate if you change to the netting.

Best of luck.