• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird doesn't trust me anymore.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
What if he didn't like the harness at all, should I keep him at the house forever?
I have two cockatiels, and keep them at home.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to take yours out of the house? To go for walks, or just for fun?

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My theory is that birds that usually like to be on their backs are those that will wrestle when they play like caiques and conures(?). I don't think that's really to the cockatiel's natural strengths.

I think harness training or not is up to the person, but I believe that cockatiels can be happy and exercised if they have a safe room in the house. If the point is to get the bird fresh air and sunshine then a sturdy travel cage or carrier is an option. Everyone's bird and situation is different, but I personally would not free fly my cockatiels. I figure if falconers lose their kestrels (cockatiel-sized falcon) to larger birds of prey, then what hope would a cockatiel have? We have a lot of red tail and Cooper's hawks in my area.

Lolipop, it's great to hear things are improving with you and your bird. Take things at the bird's pace. It might be this bird just doesn't have the personality for the type of training you wish to do, and it's OK to feel a little disappointed! This sort of thing happens with all sorts of animals. And who knows, maybe after a year or two of bonding things might change.

SunnySandi

Walking the driveway
Hello! I’m happy to hear you’re gaining more trust with your Tiel! I also made the mistake of rushing into harness training and burned that bridge big time. I’ve since repaired the relationship with Valkyrie and were closer than ever.

From my own limited experience, I would just put the kabosh on the harness and move toward a different vessel. I have a backpack for birds, for Valkyrie, which she loves and will go into when it’s resting on the floor of her own accord.

It’s a safe way for her to see the world and for me to keep her protected. So now I put her on my back while I walk my dogs and she can whistle to her hearts content. It also makes vet trips easier if she likes her carrier

69601638029__D0CFDAA6-D259-47FB-9D97-0F4A60456F6B.jpeg

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Yes I agree with SunnySandi, there are many ways to safely bring your bird outside. My cockatiel also hated harnessing so instead I take him outside in a travel cage. (Supervised of course!) This allows him to get some sunshine and enjoy the fresh air without worrying about stressing him out too much. It's possible that your tiel will never truly tolerate the harness, it just depends on individual bird personalities. I have seen people who have harness trained cockatiels before so it can be done.