• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My back yard parrot antics

pardalote

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
I'm in Aus - I've lived in a little town up in the mountains for about 18 months. I'm constantly amazed by how many birds we're surrounded by here - especially parrots. To be honest, it's the main reason I moved here from the city.

On a day to day basis I see flying past our place and in the trees in our street: Sulfur crested cockatoos, king parrots, gang gangs, little corellas, yellow tailed black cockatoos. Every day, actually landing in my backyard we have galahs, crimson rosellas (and bower birds, which I am also a bit obsessed by). Also there's a trio of magpies that look after us, we're part of their territory and thats a whooooole nother story :cool: We also very occasionally see in our yard: eastern rosellas and red-rumped parrots - but if we wander up the hill to the farm-y areas that border the forest we see them up there often, only 10min walk away.

All the parrots are SUCH characters. I love watching them interact with each other and the environment. They are all so different and crazy in their own ways.

Anyway some photos:
Depending on the time of year, we get large flocks of galahs feeding in our lawn. We have visits from them every day all year, but the flocks get really big over winter (ie around now and for the next few months.)

Crimson rosellas and galahs often feed together in our lawn. Silly birbs (these are immature crimsons, all patchy and lovely.)

Usually the magpies are fine with the rosellas and galahs, all feeding together and being friends. but sometimes the immature galahs can be a bit feisty and then there's scuffles:

When we have a dry period followed by a big rain, the galahs all go NUTS hanging upside down and washing. There's a big dead tree behind our place where they fight for the best spot. The joyful noise is glorious. This is a link to a lil video I made of them having their tree bath: Imgur

Some corellas raiding the fruit in the back neighbours yard :D Cheeky faces, I love it.

Little crimson rosella kids saying hi at our back door: (I admit we deliberately don't mow once the chickweed is in full growth. They LOVE it, so our lawn turns into a weed meadow .... but who can say no to birbs? it all dies back in summer anyways.)

Anyway I'm already spamming you all! Lemme know if you have questions or want more photos...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for sharing the photos. Fun seeing these birds in the wild.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I just sit and shake my head while I smile.
I can't imagine having all that! Just glorious!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Wow awesome pictures!

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
With all the different birds around it looks like you have an outdoor aviary!! :giggle:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Great photos!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am in Aus also, I can not help but have a cackle at the galah babies who are such clowns. Oh, they can get so loud when they are all in the tree outside your bedroom window waiting for their parents to came and feed them at sunrise, they are so funny to watch though.

Thank you for the beautiful pictures.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Awesome!!! It is wonderful you can see wild parrots in your backyard:heart: No budgies/cockatiels around where you are? I thought they had invaded Australia:embarassed:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
They both come from Australia the Cockatiel and Budgie and you can see them in massive flocks in the wild depending on where you live.
Where I am living at the moment we do not see these birds in the wild but I do regularly see Sulfur crested cockatoos, Galahs, Corellas both long and short billed, Rosellas and grass parrots (not sure what their real name is).
I can not think of any others I regularly see where I am currently living. They really are lovely to watch in the wild.

pardalote

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Awesome!!! It is wonderful you can see wild parrots in your backyard:heart: No budgies/cockatiels around where you are? I thought they had invaded Australia:embarassed:
We don't have budgies up in the mountains/forest where I live, they like more open/arid habitats. I HAVE seen them in the wild when I went to central Australia (desert country) and they are beautiful. Sometimes they form flocks of thousands and thousands (this video has an example at the 45second mark ish
But I have never seen that many!).

Cocktatiels I have only seen in the wild once, and that was a solo one flying across a field. It was a lovely sight though. :D

pardalote

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
I am in Aus also, I can not help but have a cackle at the galah babies who are such clowns. Oh, they can get so loud when they are all in the tree outside your bedroom window waiting for their parents to came and feed them at sunrise, they are so funny to watch though.
OMG YES! We laugh and laugh at the young galahs. They are so clumsy and bold. Hilarious characters! We also have an eye roll when we hear them begging and/or being fed. We call it the 'garbage compactor' noise...

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Awesome. Thanks for the beautiful pictures.

But where are the rest of them. We want. No need more pictures.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:heart:

We have magpies & corella's in abundance. Dad says he has not seen the pink galaha in a while or alot of parrots as we are in a bad drought...

Where abouts in the mountains?

We are south of Stanthorpe in NSW

Last edited:

pardalote

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
:heart:

Where abouts in the mountains?

We are south of Stanthorpe in NSW
North East Victoria - near Bright, nestled at the bottom of the alps. No snow up on the ski fields yet, but it's forecast for tomorrow :) I'm from Tassie originally, lived in Melbourne for a few years and now I've escaped to the country. I've never been to Stanthorpe!
Are you from there originally? Sounds like your parents are there...? And now you're in Cali? (I love people's stories :laugh:)