• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My baby lovebird isn’t eating

Ginqs robinson

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jinx
I got my love bird yesterday and she is one month and half , every time I try to feed her she just refuses to eat the cerelac and I don’t know what to do . From what I’ve seen you just place that thing in her mouth and slowly push for her to eat but my love bird just closes her mouth and moves her head away .
Please any suggestions on what to do cuz I’m scared she might die or get sick .

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome. Can you please tell me how you ended up with an unweaned bird? My first advice would be to take the bird to a vet immediately. As it refuses to eat it will get more and more lethargic and even less likely to eat. The vet can hopefully get the baby improved and show you how to properly feed via syringe as well.

As for the Cerelac please check the label Cerelac is not intended for birds. Dairy is harmful to them as might other ingredients in it might be. You need to find an avian specific replacement made by Lefebre, Zupreem, Kaytee and others.

Also, were you shown how to hand feed via syringe? It is not simply a matter of sticking it in the birds mouth and having it swallow, especially at that age. The syringe should be put in through the left side of the beak to feed directly down to the crop on the right side. The danger is the baby can easily aspirate on the formula, get sick and possibly die quite rapidly if you don’t know what you are doing. As they get to the end of the weaning period, that is when they take the formula in more at their rate.

The formula must also be heated to a proper temperature. If it is too cold the baby may get an infection in the crop and not process it correctly, if it’s too hot it may burn a hole right through the crop. All equipment should be thoroughly sterilized before the next use.

Please check out the Internet to find specific feeding schedules as well as video clips on how to feed via syringe but more importantly get the baby to a vet as soon as possible!

Best of luck to you!