• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My 36 Gallon

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Redid my 36 gallon bowfront tank the other day. Cleaned up the anubias clinging to the driftwood, removed almost all the overgrown mess of java fern in the left corner, and restacked the rock cave. Also added an Angelfish and two German Blue Rams. Now I have multiple tank syndrome and want to set one up in the bedroom.

IMG_2164.JPG

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
It's beautiful.......nice and clear, your plants are thriving! I miss my aquarium days.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thanks everyone! Growing up fish were the only pets I could have so ever since then I've had a fish tank, except for when I went off to college. This tank was set up in 2014 and made the move from an apartment to our current townhouse.

Current stocking includes:
8 Harlequin Rasbora's
8 Neon Tetra's
4 Corydoras
2 Bristlenose Pleco
2 German Blue Rams
1 Koi Angelfish

And if anyone is looking for Bristlenose Pleco babies around Pittsburgh, I've got you covered. My two ended up being a male/female pair and are breeding like crazy. Part of the reason I rebuilt the rock cave was to discourage breeding as that was where they were laying their eggs.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks great.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Some more pics of my German Blue Rams and Angelfish.

Male German Blue Ram. The lighting doesn't do his colors justice.
IMG_2177.JPG

Female
IMG_2180.JPG

Angelfish
IMG_2185.JPG

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Nice tank and fish :highfive:

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thanks!

My multiple tank syndrome is kicking in again and now I want a tank in the bedroom. I need to stop perusing craigslist.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I like your anubias jungle :)

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thanks! Believe it or not there are two large pieces of driftwood and two medium size rocks under their. I tied the anubias on about two years ago and it just took off.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
You should get some amano shrimp. They'd like your setup and they're a lot of fun.

Get them fully grown, so your angel won't try to eat them. I've kept fully grown amanos with adult angels before with no issues. If the amanos are tiny though, the angel might try to eat them. But then, you could have that problem with your neons too.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Never thought of Amano shrimp before, I will have to check them out. I am actually hoping the angel will help control my Bristlenose Pleco population a bit as I don't want to rehome my current pair but don't want all their babies, haha. My neons are full grown and at the moment larger than my angels mouth, so fingers crossed I wont have an issue for a while or at all.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
The angel won't eat the bristlenose fry, nor do you want him to. Read up on what happens to fish that ingest plecos. Not pretty. The gill spikes can cause terrible damage to the mouth and digestive tract, even if the plecos are fry.

Your neons on the other hand.. angels eat fish from the water column and they prefer to attack from below. Looks like you have false neons rather than the standard neons which means they aren't as big. If that angel turns out to be a lunker you might get your neons picked off.

Amano shrimp though if you buy 2 inch adults, will be fine.

What are you feeding the fish if you don't mind me asking?

Why don't you want bristlenose fry? I'd set up a second tank to raise them if I were you. It's a cool experience (you say you have MTS anways :D) and they fetch a decent price once you get them to a couple of inches. You could cover your fish food, water conditioner, etc. You can sell them on a local fish forum for your city/state. Or on sites like gumtree, kijiji, etc. Or if you know of an independant aquarium shop nearby you could sell them the whole lot but you'll get 1/2 as much for them as a wholesaler. I hope you haven't been flushing the babies or anything.

Last edited:

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
What a gorgeous little world you've made! :heart:

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Didn't think of the Pleco armour. The only local fish store around that would take them doesn't pay or offer store credit for them unfortunately. I will be taking some there just to reduce the impending overstock in the tank but was hoping for a more permanent or natural solution; I could never flush them. I will have to look into those sites you mentioned, never thought of anything like that before. While I do have multiple tank syndrome I haven't found the market and don't have much extra space, haha!

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Looks great! Harlequins are one of my faves.

My mom has BNs coming out of her ears. :laugh: She has to travel or ship to sell them, everyone local already has a ton!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Harlequins are one of my favorites as well. I feel the pain with the Bristlenose. Lucky for me I actually found a local fish store that will take them for store credit, so I will be taking some this weekend. Thanks to @theocnoob mentioning it in one of his previous posts, I drove out a little further and went to local store I frequent less because of the drive. It's still only about 25-30 minutes, but just more out of the way.