• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My 29 Gallon

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
1052282_10151693035077103_854580434_o.jpg
I haven't been on in a while. I still have my betta Linus but about 4 months ago my 10 gallon went to heck. First my puffer died and then all I had left was the little glofish I had rescued. I added 4 more glofish and one disappeared, could not locate a body anywhere. Then a few days later the nitrates went bananas, I did daily water changes etc but one by one the glofish died. I took apart the tank and found missing glofish stuck in a fake plant. My betta has a barebottom smaller tank and it's always perfect with nitrates, ph, etc. The ten gallon had about 3 inches of gravel, I think as much as I vaccumed I had too much gravel in there and it was holding in the gross stuff. I was going to start over again with the 10 gallon but then I thought why not do something I really want. I really wanted a huge fancy goldfish tank, but since that isn't possible right now I got a 29 gallon. Got goldfish books, read them. Set the tank up 6 weeks ago, with all real plants, made it barebottom, extra filtration, etc. I did a fishless cycle and will be picking up my two ranchus from the breeder on Saturday, they will be the only residents of this tank. This is a pic of my tank the only difference now is I got the filter pipe extension for the black filter.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Wishing you the best with it.It looks great!:hug8: I like Koko's for a GF forum. Real nice people there.
Just a side note. Make sure your plants are truly aquatic, or they will rot and foul the water.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
great tank!!! Can't wait to see the Ranchu's!!!

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
Thank you! I've got java moss, java fern, and ribbon plant (lucky bamboo). Linus is in a small tank with an anubias.

I'm going to East Coast Ranchus on Saturday. I found her on ebay and facebook. She has a lot of good reviews. I also found a blog from a girl who went to her home to pick up her ranchus and she said it was great, the breeder really cares about her ranchus. Reading the blog I found out the breeder is here in NJ so I messaged and asked her if I could come pick them up, pay cash and save on shipping. She said I could come on Saturday, pick out my two, see their parents etc. lol

I have never been to a fish breeder but every pet store fish I ever got seems to kick the bucket early. Linus I ordered online from a breeder and he is very healthy. In high school I had a pet store goldfish who died while I was away on vacation, my friend's mother (fish sitter) panicked and scooped a small goldfish out of her neighbors pond (with permission), that fish lived 11 years.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have heard a lot of good things about her too. Good luck!