• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mute Ringneck?

Fatgirl

Sprinting down the street
Hey all my friend has recently adopted a green IRN and has a few questions.

I adopted my 8-month old green ring neck parrot, Kiwi (boy) two weeks ago from a family who had to urgently re-home him. When I first met the little boy he was very tame and enjoyed sitting on my shoulder while I moved from room to room, he’s also a talker with a huge vocabulary and whistles which he wasn’t shy to show off.

However, when I brought him home last week (I live alone in a 1-bedroom apartment) he immediately stopped talking or making any kind of sounds or even basic bird noises altogether. I have noticed that when I leave the room he would start talking to himself and singing, but stop and sit quietly as soon as I return. I can be in the room with him for hours, letting him sit on my shoulder and playing with him, talking to him non-stop but he doesn’t respond with even the tiniest of sounds.

With that said, whenever I have guests or even when the housekeeper comes he’ll happily sit down and chatter with them for hours, only for him to quiet down as soon as my guests leave.
He has a lovely big cage in front of the window and I give him fresh fruits and vegetables everyday along with his seed mix, he has his toys and an abundance of love and constant attention from my side. He’s extremely calm and seems very comfortable with me, I can handle him with ease and he even lets me kiss him! But I don’t understand why he won’t talk or even make the slightest vocal response when I am with him or in the room.

Is there something I am doing wrong? How can I make Kiwi bird talk or respond to me while I am in the room? Please help. I am at a total loss as to what I could be doing wrong.

Looking forward to all kinds of advice :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats on bringing Kiwi into your flock!

It sounds like you doing everything right with him. A week isn't a long time after all. If I remember correctly (and I did for a change, because I asked my wife ;)) Titan was rather quiet for the first few weeks when we brought him home 25 years ago.

Keep on keeping on, and enjoy the relative quiet you have now...;)

Fatgirl

Sprinting down the street
Congrats on bringing Kiwi into your flock!

It sounds like you doing everything right with him. A week isn't a long time after all. If I remember correctly (and I did for a change, because I asked my wife ;)) Titan was rather quiet for the first few weeks when we brought him home 25 years ago.

Keep on keeping on, and enjoy the relative quiet you have now...;)

Thanks for the response, he is a very friendly guy but still only talks when I leave the room, and today I recorded him saying everything he knew while I was out of the room :atomic:. Anyone else got any insight? Is he just taking time with me?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's just figuring out his new environment and his new human so be patient. Congrats, btw, on getting Kiwi and thank you for taking him into your home.

Archie's Mum

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Emma
I have had Archie three weeks and he has only just begun to chatter at me. He will squawk at my son like a champion. I started singing to him and he liked it. That's when he started chattering to me. I have a terrible singing voice but he thinks it's awesome. Makes me kind of chuffed to be honest.