• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mustache or Ringneck?

ADotsAlot

Moving in
I was excited to find out many people, who live in apartments, own a ringneck. It was on a different bird forum, that majority of owners said that they never have had any noise complaints so I was for sure it would be fine to get one myself. But now I'm not so sure. On this forum it seems like most people are saying Indian Ringnecks are quite loud birds. So I'm pretty confused. I know how IRNs act and I'm fine with them having adittude problems from time to time as well as them not being very big on cuddles. I have a chameleon so I'm pretty used to the constant cold shoulder. The only problem is the sound. I'd be fine with it, but I don't want to have to move out or have to get rid of my bird because it's noisy to the neighbors. I heard mustache parakeets are not as loud as the IRN, is that true? It'd be awesome if I could get some advice on apartment birds. I'm in love with Indian ringnecks so my heart is set on those types of birds :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
IRNs are loud when they shout. It is a shrill, loud sound. Neighbours would certainly hear it quite clearly. They don't tend to shout and shout and shout - assuming they are kept entertained or able to entertain themselves. I have an Alexandrine (which are wonderful birds, but considerably bigger than an IRN) he is loud, but his cry is not as shrill as an IRN, I also have no neighbours. He shouts in the morning for a few minutes.

I don't know about moustaches, other than they are the most curious little creatures I think I've seen! You certainly don't here much about them being loud, but this might be because they are comparatively rare as pets when compared to IRNs.

ADotsAlot

Moving in
IRNs are loud when they shout. It is a shrill, loud sound. Neighbours would certainly hear it quite clearly. They don't tend to shout and shout and shout - assuming they are kept entertained or able to entertain themselves. I have an Alexandrine (which are wonderful birds, but considerably bigger than an IRN) he is loud, but his cry is not as shrill as an IRN, I also have no neighbours. He shouts in the morning for a few minutes.

I don't know about moustaches, other than they are the most curious little creatures I think I've seen! You certainly don't here much about them being loud, but this might be because they are comparatively rare as pets when compared to IRNs.
Do most Pet birds shout in the morning? Would an adult IRN call less than a younger one?

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
Yes, I think it's very, very common for birds to welcome the morning with a good, loud shout! There will be individual differences within that of course. Some will shout at sunrise (whether or not they can see the sun), mine shouts when the curtains are open (thank goodness!) and will sleep until this happens whether it is 8am or 11.30am!

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
My IRNs shout a lot. They shout if they see a bird out the window, they shout if they hear me in another room, they shout if I walk into the kitchen because they think they’re getting something to eat, etc.

They are very loud. I can hear them outside my house with all windows closed. Definitely not for an apartment in my opinion.

ADotsAlot

Moving in
Yes, I think it's very, very common for birds to welcome the morning with a good, loud shout! There will be individual differences within that of course. Some will shout at sunrise (whether or not they can see the sun), mine shouts when the curtains are open (thank goodness!) and will sleep until this happens whether it is 8am or 11.30am!
will they wake up after 12 hours of sleep or do they just wake up whenever you do?

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
will they wake up after 12 hours of sleep or do they just wake up whenever you do?
If it's morning, they're up. Doesn't matter if I'm on first, second, or third shift my birds have always had the same sleep schedule. Closed curtains may or may not work for you, my birds could care less usually. Age is not a factor in how loud they are in my opinion - my IRN is very loud when she has her heart set on it and always has been. An IRN is not a good apartment bird. Take it from someone who has experience living with an IRN in apartments :facepalm:
It's just sheer luck my neighbors never complained because I know the entire floor could hear her. Then again my neighbors used to leave left empty beer cans on my patio furniture and I could hear dogs barking. I think we were all of the mindset not to get each other into trouble so we could keep doing what we were doing. The manager never cared so long as the neighbors didn't complain. Depends on how pliable your neighbors and manager are if it'll work out or not.

What chameleon species do you have? They're all cute :)

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My Meyer's, a poicephalus, was a good apartment bird. My CAG was not. I became a homeowner soon after adopting my CAG.

Watch Marlene McCohen's YouTube video about moustache parrots. I've never been around one, but they are intriguing. I understand your love for ringnecks, because I have it, too. But, I don't think I'd ever adopt one due to the noise.

My CAG isn't consistently "noisy"; it was her volume that made it difficult to have her in my old apartment.

Good luck.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
They can be loud. Very loud in fact. However when I am at my friends place (has over 100 ringnecks) the adult birds usually make cute meow sounds when they are just chilling. However if it is feeding time or if they first see my friend they all scream excitedly. When I am walking around their area I love hearing the soft meow baby noises though.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Almost every type of bird can be very loud at times. They often will chatter and shout in the morning letting the world know their existence. With that being said I do know many people who have lived in an apartment successfully with IRNs, senegals, small conures, and other smaller birds without problems. Usually they're going to be louder once they sun is up. Most people go to work so they wouldn't hear the bird. Also if you go to a pet friendly apartment I've noticed pet people are more understanding of a little noise as long as its at reasonable hours.

My friends that had birds in apartments would keep their birds covered at night that way early in the morning they didn't start singing to the sun until it was a more reasonable hour like 8 or 9am.

Now as far as an adult versus a baby. Babies likely will be quieter, at first. Its really hard to say how they will act when they become adults tho. Adults can be a great option because usually you know what you're going to get. You may not know everything but hopefully the person you get him/her from can give you some information.

I wouldn't get too set on a species if you're willing to look at adults. This way you can meet a few different quieter species and pick from there :)

ADotsAlot

Moving in
If it's morning, they're up. Doesn't matter if I'm on first, second, or third shift my birds have always had the same sleep schedule. Closed curtains may or may not work for you, my birds could care less usually. Age is not a factor in how loud they are in my opinion - my IRN is very loud when she has her heart set on it and always has been. An IRN is not a good apartment bird. Take it from someone who has experience living with an IRN in apartments :facepalm:
It's just sheer luck my neighbors never complained because I know the entire floor could hear her. Then again my neighbors used to leave left empty beer cans on my patio furniture and I could hear dogs barking. I think we were all of the mindset not to get each other into trouble so we could keep doing what we were doing. The manager never cared so long as the neighbors didn't complain. Depends on how pliable your neighbors and manager are if it'll work out or not.

What chameleon species do you have? They're all cute :)
My sister lives right below me in the apartment so I know she won't complain but I share walls with two other people and can't trust on luck alone that they won't get annoyed :( as much as I want to.
As for my chameleon she's a beautiful veiled chameleon who loves exploring and being stubborn. She means the world to me! Her names Dot :D

Last edited:

ADotsAlot

Moving in
My Meyer's, a poicephalus, was a good apartment bird. My CAG was not. I became a homeowner soon after adopting my CAG.

Watch Marlene McCohen's YouTube video about moustache parrots. I've never been around one, but they are intriguing. I understand your love for ringnecks, because I have it, too. But, I don't think I'd ever adopt one due to the noise.

My CAG isn't consistently "noisy"; it was her volume that made it difficult to have her in my old apartment.

Good luck.
It's actually Marlene McCohen who made me think about getting a mustache parakeet instead. :)
She said hers were pretty quiet. I just didn't know if I should apply that to all of them as I also dont see a whole lot about them anywhere else. I'm for sure leaning towards a mustache now though... seeing as IRN are indeed loud birds

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
My birds will wake up whenever they're ready (Mynah bird and Alexandrine), but they won't make any noise until the curtains are opened. Don't know why, I think I'm just lucky. I know plenty of people that get woken up at dawn whether their birds are covered in a dark room or not!

rick_s0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
"Rick" Ricardo
My Moustached Parakeets are generally more quiet than my Ringnecks, but they do have a loud machine gun squawking/honking noise they'll burst out every now and then. They seem to talk a lot more than my ringnecks. I have 3 male ringnecks and 2 Moustached males that talk. One of my MPs is the most talkative and he has a sense of humor. He'll cry, sounding just like my daughter, making us walk past his cage then laughs lol. Anyways, I guess it's up to your neighbors, how much noise is actually too noisy. If I had to pick, I'd get a MP over the IRN for an apartment. They definitely are more "quiet" even when they're trying to get your attention. Plus they're beautiful... 20170503_004853.png

ADotsAlot

Moving in
My Moustached Parakeets are generally more quiet than my Ringnecks, but they do have a loud machine gun squawking/honking noise they'll burst out every now and then. They seem to talk a lot more than my ringnecks. I have 3 male ringnecks and 2 Moustached males that talk. One of my MPs is the most talkative and he has a sense of humor. He'll cry, sounding just like my daughter, making us walk past his cage then laughs lol. Anyways, I guess it's up to your neighbors, how much noise is actually too noisy. If I had to pick, I'd get a MP over the IRN for an apartment. They definitely are more "quiet" even when they're trying to get your attention. Plus they're beautiful... View attachment 258687
I'd love to have a talkitive bird! Is their talking very loud?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
My IRN is LOUD. So loud you can't hear anything else in the house but her. She is loud when she is happy, loud when I go into another room, loud when she is playing, loud when she knows its time for treats, time for her evening coconut oil or basically any time I go to the kitchen. On the other hand, I love that little talking voice. She melts me with her peekaboos. She is by far the loudest of my 3 (IRN, GCC and Ekkie). I don't think I could have her in an apartment. From what I have learned there is not a guarantee about birds...whether they are loud, talkative, friendly etc depends on the individual bird regardless of what traits are the "average" for the species. You could have a fairly quiet IRN or a not so nippy GCC (is there such a thing as a GC that isn't nippy)

rick_s0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
"Rick" Ricardo
I'd love to have a talkitive bird! Is their talking very loud?
He has a soft voice. Usually sounds like he's mumbling to himself. Once he gets your attention he gets a little louder, but not terribly bad. I agree with janicedyh. My ringnecks talk out loud! One starts talking and every other bird screams and yells with him lol. Doesn't happen when it's my Moustached Parakeets talking.

Last edited:

ADotsAlot

Moving in
He has a soft voice. Usually sounds like he's mumbling to himself. Once he gets your attention he gets a little louder, but not terribly bad. I agree with janicedyh. My ringnecks talk out loud! One starts talking and every other bird screams and yells with him lol. Doesn't happen when it's my Moustached Parakeets talking.
How often do your mustache parakeets make their loud "honking" noise?