• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Murder in the aviary.... Is she innocent or evil?

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Hello,

You probably guessed by the title something unfortunate has happened....

Yep. A birdy crime scene. And I need your help to figure out what to do about it.

Ok, I'll start from the beginning...

I have an aviary made from a tin shed, the front is open with a small double door inside.

On friday I bought home 4 finches, 2 females and 4 males, all zebras.

They settled in well, very few squabbles.

Then on sunday afternoon at about 03:00 I went out there to check on them and what did I find?

7 finches instead of 8.:scared3:

One was missing.
I searched and eventually found a dead finch underneath the feeder, the feeder is about 1m off the ground. The body was identified as Sharon, a pretty pied hen I had gotten recently, also one of my favourites. :sad1:
Her body was cold and limp, suggesting it had happened earlier when they were all feeding.
I looked over the body and found not a trace of blood, no wounds, or broken bones apart from a very limp neck, usually normal for dead birds.

Also there were two perches knocked down, one small dowel that often falls down if fatty Squeak lands on it.
The other was a natural branch fastened to the front of the aviary. This could only fall if something either jumped at it from the outside, or very heavily landed on it.... But even then, it was pretty well secured.

I then searched around the edges on my aviary for any clues as to who had done this. There were no holes, signs of digging, or paw prints. The only animals that are small enough to get into my aviary are mice, usually baby mice at that.

So if it wasn't a predator, what could have done this?

I had no choice but to investigate the residents of my aviary.

I knew that my finches would never do such a thing, they never fight.

The only birds big enough to do this were the quails and the budgies.

Now the quails very rarely come into contact with my finches, and when they do, they never seem to notice them.
The finches aren't quite sure how they feel about these large fat birds running about the cage floor, and usually avoid them.

So that crosses Quails off the list.

That leaves only the budgies.

I know Squeak would never do such a thing, he is the gentle giant of the aviary. He has never hurt anyone.

That leaves Susan.
Susan has often been seen viciously biting my finches, often to the point where if I hadn't interfered she would've mauled them right there before my very eyes. She has grabbed them by the foot as they take flight, pinned them down by the wings, and aimed for backs.

But I just assumed it was because every time I go into the aviary it causes the apocalypse, sending frightened birds everywhere. They land on perches near the budgies, giving Susan a rare chance to lash out.
But now I feel bad that I didn't remove her before, I could have prevented it...

So the evidence is clear.
Susan is a murderer.
I put her in a small carry cage while I set up a cage for her.

She is currently in prison, in Larrys old cage inside the double door.

I feel cruel keeping her confined, but I also don't want to let a cereal killer back into my flock.

Now some info on Susan.

She is under a year old, going through a molt, has never laid an egg, and is Squeaks devoted mate.
I got her from a garden centre, she lived with zebra finches and other budgies, with cockatiels next door.

She is such a joyful little creature, I want to avoid getting rid of her if I can, but I am willing to do so if there are no alternatives.

Also I am not allowed birds inside, this is why I have her inside the double door, also so she can still chat with her husband.

I am assuming the murder happened during feeding, a time when all the birds gather in a line in front of the automatic feeder. this feeder is long enough to seat all my birds, but being new o the flock and possibly older(She always was the slowest), maybe Susan saw her chance?

Sorry about the long post,
I really need help deciding what to do with this adorable little villain. :tmsarrestedme:

What do I do?:chin:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
She's not a murderer, she is acting on instinct, and in the confined area, the finch could not escape. Budgies and finches should not be housed together. I would figure out a way to permanently house your budgies separately from your finches.

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Ok,
But don't they flock together in the wild?

I have heard they live happily together.
Mine did until Susan cam along.....

I might build another smaller aviary for the budgies

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In the wild, they have a ton of space to sort out their differences. That is not available in most aviaries/cages.

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
Suffocation, heart attack, seizure? A necropsy would help you figure it out right away.

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Suffocation, heart attack, seizure? A necropsy would help you figure it out right away.
The problem is she is already buried....
I'm really not sure.
I hope it wasn't Susan, but i'm keeping her seperate 'cause I feel like it was her....

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
She's not a murderer, she is acting on instinct, and in the confined area, the finch could not escape. Budgies and finches should not be housed together. I would figure out a way to permanently house your budgies separately from your finches.
Absolutely.

Yep. A birdy crime scene. And I need your help to figure out what to do about it.
On friday I bought home 4 finches, 2 females and 4 males, all zebras.

They settled in well, very few squabbles.

So you bought 4 strange birds on Friday. Today is Sunday. No slow introductions. No quarantine. No bird on the planet "settles" in after 2 days. Upon getting these birds you just put them in a confined space with other species they don't belong with and who already have "established territory". After a few hours you called it good and left them to fend for themselves and left them unsupervised.

If you want to know the "cause" of this tragedy I suggest you go into the bathroom and look in the mirror. Seriously.

Last edited:

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
No expert but all that I have read advises against putting budgies which are hook-bills, together with zebra finches which are soft-billed as the budgies could do serious damage. Unless the aviary is very large and has lots of hiding places and multiple food and water sources, I would not put them together. Especially since you have said you have often seen Susan bullying them. If she was biting and mauling them, they should not be left together.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Why did you not remove the bird named Susan right after she was attacking and biting the other birds?

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Why did you not remove the bird named Susan right after she was attacking and biting the other birds?
She only did it a few times and it was only when the birds flew and landed next to her, I just thought it was because I was in there....
I guess I was wrong :no:

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Why do you assume one bird killed another, when there's no mark on the dead bird? She could've died from a heart attack or natural causes.

But, female budgies can sometimes be aggressive. Usually they are only aggressive to other female budgies, but if there's a potential nest site they can be very territorial.
I would consider keeping the budgie pair in an aviary separate from the finches.

Nerine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nerine
Budgies and finches should never be housed together. To avoid future catastrophes, the budgies must have their own cage or aviary.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry for your loss.:sorrow: