• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mrs Myers Products

ILoveBirds77

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hope
Hello, It was recently brought to my attention how dangerous it is for my birds to be around air fresheners, cleaners, and stuff.
Normally I use Bath and body works candles, perfume, and body wash. But I was told to look at the ingredients on the candles to see if they are safe, and there were no ingredients listed on the candle itself, I checked online, and there was nothing, so I called and they refused to give me any info, except its made with vegetable oil and fragrance oils. So this worries me because what exactly are they hiding?

so I was thinking I would get rid of my candles, and replace them with what I was told was a safe comapany to purchase from, Mrs. Myers.

I was curious, do you guys think that getting a candle like this one would be safe?
Mrs. Meyers Geranium Soy Candle - Walmart.com

but then again I have also heard that soy candles are very toxic, so I would like some input.

also i was wondering about this air freshener spray, do you think it would be safe?
Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Spray Air Freshener-GERANIUM ROOM FRESHENER - Walmart.com

the stuff is a bit expensive, but if I going to be using chemical around my birds, it needs to be safe. I have never had any issues, but I dont want to either.

OK, so my other questions are, I am planning on still using some of my regular chemicals, but the bathroom, is all the way down the hall, from the birds, which are in the living room, and I have a very long hallway.

I use lysol toilet cleaner, lysol disinfectant, and comet powder for the tub and shower. also I can always turn on the fan while cleaning the bathroom too.

and for the kitchen which is attached to the living room, its one whole open space. I was planning on using my mr.clean until its gone, then buy mrs Myers concentrated all purpose cleaner.

Laundry is in the basement of the building not attached to our apartment, so I'm not worried about the smells from that.

I think thats all my questions :ittalks!:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My understanding is that no candles are safe- soy or otherwise and I would say the same about air fresheners. You can try boiling some oranges and cinnamon sticks for a nice scent. :)

RosieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Even before we adopted our bird I changed how I was using cleaning products. I was tired of inhaling the nasty smells.

Instead of comet I use baking soda (I add a few drops of eucalyptus or mint) in a old glass jar with holes in the metal lid.
I use white vinegar for the toilet (usually letting it soak overnight) makes it clean and sparkling. A small spritzer bottle with tea tree oil and water to disinfect all surfaces in the bathroom.
I do not use any air fresheners whatsoever. In our guest bathroom we have a mister bottle of cedar, thyme and eucalyptus. Water + essential oils.
Spray bottle with 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water for counter tops and window cleaning.
For mopping I use Dr. Bonners 18 in 1 liquid soap.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
These are the only safe candles that I am aware of; Avitech Exotic Birds - Supplies, Equipment and Nutritional Supplements for Birds!

As far as air-fresheners go - don't use any of them. They are all dangerous to your bird. I guess I'm old fashioned, but if my home starts smelling, I start cleaning and all of a sudden the house doesn't smell bad any more.

Instead of buying all of the expensive chemical based and smelly coverups, invest in a steam cleaner and it can be used to clean most anything and eliminate odors. This one will do most any job you want around your house. I've used steam cleaners for years. http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-915-02...22634771&sr=8-1&keywords=wagner+steam+cleaner

How about Teflon? Do you have any Teflon in your house?

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Thank you for the information Hankmacaw.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You are welcome - we are not born with knowledge. We have to learn - and everyone knows that education is expensive. Sometimes education can cost the life of your bird.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I hope I never do that. I like candles. But I haven't lit one since I've had my birds.

As for scent in the house. I use/used Bath and Body works but in another room of the house and the smell went up the stairs and I loved it. Recently I've been using the recommended essential oils for stress for my cats with a outlet plugin from the store Roots. The oil works for birds and humans too so it's a good thing for all of us. Coming tomorrow I have an essential oil mister. I love that smell too. I don't like the smell straight from the bottle but once in the air it smells good.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I agree, DO NOT use candles, DO NOT use air freshners. Do use a steamer, best cleaner an and disinfectant there is, I use mine for whole house cleaning and the bird cage. In the days of coal mining a bird was taken into the mines, if a bird would die, that meant there was gas nearby. Birds have a very delicate respiratory system, they smell things we cannot. You even have to be careful of the fragrance oils you use. Try flame less candles, they give the effect without the danger. One last thought, dont use a aerosol spray around the bird :cool:

Last edited:

ILoveBirds77

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hope
thank you so much for the info people. I will take this info and use it. I am going to give away my candles even thought I REALLY dont want to.. I love my birds more than my candles. and Instead of buying Mr.clean and Lysol, I will buy Mrs Meyers and Mr Bonner. and i will do my best to use natural stuff. But it sounds complicated. :(

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I use the battery operated tea lights, simmer orange or lemon with cinnomen sticks. Clean with baking soda , viniger and Simple green ( sparingly) with the Simple green. Plain old hot soapy water too...

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I use baking soda and vinegar on the bath ribs. Straight vinegar in a appetizer bottle to clean counters, table, mirrors with. I have Lysol wipes for the rare times I think I need it (like raw meat hits the counter, etc.)

I use a steamer on the floor.

I'd you want the house to "smell", boil orange peels, cinnamon, nutmeg in water.

I love my parrots and I love my grandchildren. No chemical sprays here. I don't trust the oils, not enough scientific studies on them.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I use oxyfresh for everything from cages to carpets to the bathroom. Non toxic, inactivates polyoma virus, and leaves everything shiny - hardware and mirrors included. Lasts quite awhile too and has no odors.

Pet Care - Birds

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
These are the only safe candles that I am aware of; Avitech Exotic Birds - Supplies, Equipment and Nutritional Supplements for Birds!

As far as air-fresheners go - don't use any of them. They are all dangerous to your bird. I guess I'm old fashioned, but if my home starts smelling, I start cleaning and all of a sudden the house doesn't smell bad any more.

Instead of buying all of the expensive chemical based and smelly coverups, invest in a steam cleaner and it can be used to clean most anything and eliminate odors. This one will do most any job you want around your house. I've used steam cleaners for years. Amazon.com: Wagner 915 (0282014) 1,500-Watt On-Demand Power Steamer and Cleaner: Home Improvement

How about Teflon? Do you have any Teflon in your house?
Thank you, HankMacaw! I have a similar steam cleaner that I haven't used in ages. I'm getting it out and trying it again.
I mostly use Mrs Meyers and Melaleuca products and vinegar, but the steam cleaner is great.

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I use oxyfresh for everything from cages to carpets to the bathroom. Non toxic, inactivates polyoma virus, and leaves everything shiny - hardware and mirrors included. Lasts quite awhile too and has no odors.

Pet Care - Birds

I am going to order some, I have seen Oxygene recommended elsewhere and
with a bird susceptible to bacterial infections, I need all the help I can get!

Umbrella Angel

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lesa
After many years of wellness, my bird had a click/cough sound she started making. We visited the avian vet for the first time in probably 20 years. My bird is 26. The vet asked questions about her care, feeding, environment, etc. in answering, I mentioned that I used essential oils for cleaning, freshening, and diffusing. She was appalled, and asked me to nevertheless use them again for the safety of my bird. I've used them corn 5 years with no adverse effects. In the past, I've also used numerous kinds of candles, including White Barn, and Bath and Body. She's never been bothered by any of it. I love my oils, and the way they make my house smell. But I don't want to endanger my bird, either.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I would like to use vinegar in my toilet, but how much do you put in to do the job

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I don't see how anything that's burning is safe for a bird. After all, something is being consumed by fire which gives off soot and smoke and chemicals and... Not good in my opinion.

I've also quit using antiperspirant. I switched to plain deodorant instead, alcohol based.

Last edited:

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Wow! So much helpful information here! It's amazing to me how much we end up helping ourselves by virtue of trying to keep a safe environment for our birds! (none of us should have to be breathing toxic fumes just to have a clean and welcoming home, in my opinion) :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Please, everyone watch this video. If you can't see how any VOC (volatile organic compound) harms our birds' respiratory system - I just don't know what can be done.

"The Avian Respiratory System - YouTube"